Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 01:46 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,255,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
They'd have to prove they were discriminating unfairly. People have reported here how their employers received discrimination complaints because the poster received the job, while other applicants did not and their qualifications were better. Was that unfair, or fair discrimination?

People discriminate whether or not we like it. My sex, race, and other factors are going to be taken into consideration when I go into an interview. I wear a wedding ring, have been told I look young for my age, and have a name which doesn't match my race. All of these things get factored during an interview, and the employer doesn't have to ask a single question about any of it.

I've had a teacher tell me when she was hiring, she'd look at their hands for a ring, take note during small talk if they mentioned having a house, or children. She used those things to determine whether or not the applicant would be considered stable, mature, and would stick around. All of these factors can work one way, or the other.

The greater question is, why should employees be obligated to hire people who will take months at a time without producing actual work? Businesses have to think about the bottom line. It's been said many times here, it gets repeated in plenty articles, and it's a fact of life.
Have whatever opinion you like of 'business', but those execs are thick-headed dolts. Stupid and insensitive for discussing this in public. I only wish she had tweeted their names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 01:56 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
If ALL fathers took 50% of the responsibility for child-rearing, prejudice like that would never occur.
True but also women need to make sure he does his share or not to have kids otherwise. I dated men who I knew wouldn't help out if we had kids so I never had kids with them.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:56 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
IBM allows so many work-from-home individuals it's mind-blowing. Their "work/life balance" is so high on the charts. But they need to draw the line and if I were a business owner, I'd choose wisely too. In Canada, they get a year off. How conducive is THAT to business when it can happen multiple times per individual?

The reality is what they said about pregnancy is true and there's no shame in it. Obviously women are the only ones who can make babies and it takes a significant amount of time and effort to do so(maternity leave). Everyone thinks it and knows it, but companies still hire women despite that out of fairness, and their own disadvantage.
But you see, pointing out that reality is offensive.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:58 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Here's news you are obviously, and surprisingly, unaware of. Women already evaluate careers based on work-life balance. Women, by and large, choose career paths with limited travel and long hours out in the field. This is common knowledge.

Further, I have no idea what you mean by "full timers" earning higher wages so that professional women can work PT. What in the world is that about? If you finish grad school in your late 20s, and even early 30s, and then start your family as many professional women do, where in the world is this PT work coming into play? And if educated mom is not going to work why become educated in the first place?

You cannot have it both ways. Society cannot have educated, professional women who are SAHMs who will also have the security of a solid career and not be dependent on a man. That's not how it works.
Only because society stresses it's better and more meaningful for women to have their work outside of the home. For centuries, that wasn't the case. Women worked from home or home-based businesses and had high economic value.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:08 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Only because society stresses it's better and more meaningful for women to have their work outside of the home. For centuries, that wasn't the case. Women worked from home or home-based businesses and had high economic value.
Women had no civil rights and could not own property. Again, I'm not sure what your point is.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
But you see, pointing out that reality is offensive.
A pro discrimination position that advocates for the destruction of the fabric of western society, which spins on an axis of reason, is going rock sensibilities.

And as an FYI my male collegues up in Canada take months for their paternity leave. The Swiss co I work for provides paternity leave here in the states

Old 07-24-2014, 03:04 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
Quote:
Not Ann Coulter but am tired of the mentality some women have. I hate discrimination too and have been a victim but some people do it to themselves.

You mean they were asking for it?

Old 07-24-2014, 03:20 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Um, you need to reread the article. She has a full-time job, a part-time job, and actively volunteers.
Where does it say she has a full time job? All I found was:

Quote:
She works part-time in web development and does volunteer projects for women's organizations.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Where does it say she has a full time job? All I found was:
Full time editor, pt coder, volunteer, and mom. It's noted through out.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:40 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You mean they were asking for it?
Yes, like a woman who takes off years to raise a child then gets upset because they aren't making as much as someone who never took off years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment