Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 12:56 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times

Advertisements

one of my BFF's got a job as a staff accountant on a Carnival cruise ship. She met her husband there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 09:42 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
The OP seems to have disappeared.

As if s/he could get a good answer considering no information was provided about education or other interests.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:20 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,704 times
Notice the OP hasn't been on here since they started the thread..Me thinks it was just a troll

Old 07-26-2014, 12:52 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
Take the foreign service exam and become a diplomat. There is a big difference in the experience between traveling for work and traveling for pleasure.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:25 AM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
Maybe it's me, but over the road truckers or outside sales ... Driving 1000's of miles a year isn't my idea of " traveling". It seems more like a super long commute to work. Lol

Old 07-26-2014, 01:00 PM

566 posts, read 1,107,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboobooboobooo View Post
Where do I get this job?
big construction companies that build substations, lines, transmission towers, underground infrastructures.

Now with the HUGE rush to increase electrical power there is a HUGE boom in construction all across the USA.

There are many Countries buying up our utility companies to invest in wind power and/or bring the increase of power to many areas.

I know of a company that hires many ex-military. They get a new truck, a new lap-top, an iPhone and have those utility companies paying large sums to get the teams together to start projects. Salary and PERDIEM. Maybe not moving costs if perdiem is offered. Health care, etc.

Estimators, purchasers, managers, construction teams, engineers, procurement, health/safety, environment, legal etc. (I know of an ex-police officer that is now a construction manager making six figures without actual electrical engineering degree or a construction degree. He was in the right place at the right time and has a friend in upper management. The guy can't manage a dead bug in a bag, but he DOES get those utility companies to choose HIS construction company for their projects.

Best of luck.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:00 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
A g/f and I used our flight benefits to fly down to the Bahamas. It took 2 flights on smaller and smaller aircraft to reach our destination. The last plane looked to be 100 years old. When we departed the island for our flight back to Nassau the co-pilot came back ( no p/a system) and informed us that we'd be making an unscheduled stop on a neighboring island to pick up a couple of passengers. We landed on what appeared to be a dirt road and two people boarded. One had a couple of chickens that rode with us.. He was just holding them.
When we taxied for take off a tire went flat. We had to spend the night as they ( Bahamas Air) couldn't get a repair crew out until the next day. There were no hotels or restaurants on the entire island. They did have a little general store, but it didn't have much. The people of the village came together and fed us ( steamed fish and rice) and families offered places for everyone to sleep. It was a great adventure and we got to meet and interact with some really nice people. Things like this make travel fun

Last edited by Sydney123; 07-26-2014 at 02:01 PM..

Old 07-26-2014, 01:29 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Military, oil and gas, airliners, peace corps, gov't, etc.

Travelling for work is fun, it takes the monotony out of the everyday office cube 9-5.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:54 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Speaking of working on cruise liners, the irony is that one would most likely see far less of exotic foreign port of calls, as a 'free' civilian, than someone that's in the Navy on a West Pac cruise.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:18 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
No, you really don't.

It gets exhausting very quickly.

And most of the travel is NOT to exciting places. It's to dull places.
And even if its to exciting places you never get to see/do much of anything. When asked I always describe business travel as "an inside job". All you get to see is the inside of taxis, the inside of airports, the inside of airliners, the inside of offices, the inside of hotels, and the inside of your eyelids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment