Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 06:57 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't continue with your schedule at all if there is any way you can cut your lifestyle. I'd be looking to something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 07:45 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,204,630 times
Definitely not New County. Horrible company. I would never....

Old 07-26-2014, 08:27 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
I would definitely take the new job, even for less money, just for the quality of life improvement that the shorter commute will bring. You can do a lot to save money if you have more time; cooking at home more, doing more of your own home maintenance, turn a hobby into something paid, etc.

IMO, time is the most valuable thing we have. I'd rather live in a smaller house, stop going out to get, stop having expensive coffee, etc., than have no free time. Your current schedule must be straining your relationships since I don't see how you even have time for anyone most of the week.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:24 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
I'm going to add up all of my car maintenance as well as gas for the year and see what I come up with.
figure out the mileage too. With the old (current) job you need a new car more often and when you resell it, it's worth a lot less due to high mileage.

Another easy thing you can do is compare the miles of your commute annually and then multiply by the federal rate for reiumbursement of .56 per mile. Do this for both commutes and place the dollar figures side by side. The fed reiumbursement cost takes into acct wear and tear and everything so it's a good tool for comparison.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I would definitely take the new job, even for less money, just for the quality of life improvement that the shorter commute will bring. You can do a lot to save money if you have more time; cooking at home more, doing more of your own home maintenance, turn a hobby into something paid, etc.

IMO, time is the most valuable thing we have. I'd rather live in a smaller house, stop going out to get, stop having expensive coffee, etc., than have no free time. Your current schedule must be straining your relationships since I don't see how you even have time for anyone most of the week.
Married and my wife takes the ride with me since we work in the same town. No strain on our relationship other than us both being tired........which I guess is a strain.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
figure out the mileage too. With the old (current) job you need a new car more often and when you resell it, it's worth a lot less due to high mileage.

Another easy thing you can do is compare the miles of your commute annually and then multiply by the federal rate for reiumbursement of .56 per mile. Do this for both commutes and place the dollar figures side by side. The fed reiumbursement cost takes into acct wear and tear and everything so it's a good tool for comparison.
I never heard of that. I will definitely do this. Thanks for the information!!
I put 31,000 just in work travel in one year.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:08 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,198 times
You know the answer, so I'l confirm what you want to do. Take the new job. But I wouldn't start with the expectation that your salary will be lower. Expect that it will be higher and make it so. You have already told him what you make. The car business may be unique, but in most businesses you would get an offer just slightly higher than what you have now. Then you can negotiate up from there. Remember to negotiate for more time off too, that's almost as good as cash if you want to restore a work:life balance.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:23 PM

Even if it's $10,000......even 15,000, I think it will still be worth it. Half the travel time is better than what I'm doing now. Like I mentioned, I get paid well, have job security and I am comfortable there. That's the only good points on top of all of the negative stuff I mentioned earlier. I work in a very negative place and its just not who I am. It drains me...... So add that on top of a long commute. I noticed the change in me over the last year....... And I dont like it.
But, I always have a fear of the unknown when I switch dealers...... At first...... Once I get used to the changes and get acclimated, I do great.
Everyone's post has been great. Thanks.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:52 PM

Also, I multiplied my current mileage by. 56 cents and came up with
$17,472 current commute
$8736 if I took this new job.
So what exactly do these amounts mean?

Old 07-26-2014, 03:26 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Also, I multiplied my current mileage by. 56 cents and came up with
$17,472 current commute
$8736 if I took this new job.
So what exactly do these amounts mean?

It means the current jobs costs you approx $8732 MORE per year in car costs versus the new job.

However, if your wife is still going to be driving to the old location but taking a 2nd car instead of carpooling with you, then you really aren't saving anything because that long commute is still taking place for your wife. Actually - the 1 long commute is being replaced by 2 commutes (same long commute but only for your wife plus the new shorter commute for you).

I'd still take the new job. You can tell from your post (when comparing the 2 dealerships) that it's time for you to make the switch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment