Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 02:24 PM

343 posts, read 942,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
My advice for the OP is disengage yourself of the company/job. You already know they are going to fire you no matter what you do so don't let them pile stress on you. Make a somewhat reasonable effort to keep doing your job and just don't give a crap if they yell at you, threaten you, give you more written warnings etc.

I wish I could disengage myself but I really enjoy my work. Regardless of what management says I do a pretty good job. I have always been getting good compliments from peers and management prior to all this. So of course this was all surprising. Now I know I am not perfect and have a lot to learn. I came in as a junior in my position with the understanding that it would be challenging. The one thing I was not prepared for was how disorganized and incompetent management was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 03:18 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgmun5000 View Post
Need some advice about my situation. I am about a year into a new position and was told I had these 2 options. This came out of the blue as I have felt I have excelled and learned alot within that time. I had never been told that my performance was poor or subpar. When I benchmark myself against my peers who have alot more experience than me I top them in some categories. I have generally excelled in any company and position I have been in and this is something I never had to deal with. If anyone has been put in this situation or have some knowledge please advise. Do I have any rights? Do I object and present a case with facts about my performance?
Yes - my advice is do nothing. Keep your mouth shut and your nose clean. Unless you are in a Union, with a valid contract, there is nothing you can do until they cause you harm by wrongfully firing you. Then you can sue - IF you can prove a valid case.

Its a bad situation. In the end, they could be paying those incompetent others much less than they are paying you, or giving them much less hours than you have always enjoyed.

When it comes to Employment these days, sometimes you just have to take a breath and learn to count your blessings.

Dont tell them you are looking for another job, if you do. Just wait till you find it, and leave - immediately - if you want/need too. You have nothing to lose by providing little notice. You arent even bound by common courtesy to. Who is being concerned with you, afterall. The only reason they would probably provide you with a good reference would be if you secure Unemployment benefits through your discharge anyway.

Bite your tongue, and bide your time. Collect any evidence you can of wrong doing toward you, but if there isnt any to really collect - like along the lines of discrimination - make sure you cover your but as far as them not appreciating you and letting you go. They probably will be fighting your unemployment claim as well.

In the end, most private business can let you go on a whim. They dont feel they owe you anything. Its all about getting the CEO his expected or bigger bonus, and nothing more.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:39 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Do not repeat the same mistakes. While you are interviewing, ask your new hiring manager some questions.

How did they get into the company? If it's their first management job and only a year, that's a warning sign.

Why are there openings? If it's a new manager, and the previous employees left for another dept or company. That's double trouble.

When you are starting, you always want to push for 2 weeks to start. It gives you some time to consider other offers.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:15 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Quote:
I wish I could disengage myself but I really enjoy my work. Regardless of what management says I do a pretty good job. I have always been getting good compliments from peers and management prior to all this. So of course this was all surprising. Now I know I am not perfect and have a lot to learn. I came in as a junior in my position with the understanding that it would be challenging. The one thing I was not prepared for was how disorganized and incompetent management was.
Then keep doing a good job and ignore management and the PIP. The point of being disengaged is that you don't work yourself into the hospital with exhaustion and stress trying to appease a manager who will never be satisfied and is going to get rid of you no matter what.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:46 PM

932 posts, read 899,482 times
Quote:
Well I have another update. I was presented with the PIP and it was filled with inaccuracies, tedious tasks and outright insulting. It said that I did not have a basic understanding of my job. Oh on top of some of it was vague. I asked how I can squeeze all those tasks in a weeks time and they suggested that if it takes me to work over then that's what I have to do. I also told them that I have ADD and might be entitled to certain accommodations. There response was well that is the first I heard of it...to which I shot back well this is the first time I heard of poor performance. Anyways I told my employer that I need time to thoroughly go over the PIP. I didn't sign it there and was given time to go over it. HR wants it returned in a few days with my signature.
make sure you note it with your notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Bad advice... he could be looking for a job during this time and getting paid. Unemployment here in NC is maxed at like $375.00 a week. No one is going to live on that without digging into savings. Why do that when he still has the job and a measurable PIP plan.

$375,geez I been living off that for years. Easy, dont overspend.... Anybody can live easily off $375 a week

Old 08-20-2014, 12:42 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post
make sure you note it with your notes
$375,geez I been living off that for years. Easy, dont overspend.... Anybody can live easily off $375 a week
Nope. My rent is $920 a month!

Old 08-20-2014, 01:45 AM

932 posts, read 899,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Nope. My rent is $920 a month!
Then get a roommate or downgrade! Just like I said living outside your means

My rent is a year ago was $610 for nice 2 bedroom apartment in complex

Old 08-20-2014, 02:51 PM

215 posts, read 260,075 times
OP,I didn't see anyone mention this. Now is the time to maintain good relations with your management. Find another job and work your current management into providing good reference for you. Even if not reference, when you land a new job, the HR might conduct a background reference (not the background check or reference). They will communicate with the HR at your current job. If you had a great relations, the hR might withhold info. about your PIP etc. and just answer questions. If not then HR can make things very hard for the person who left the company.
Sorry you had to have such a deceitful experience though!

Old 08-20-2014, 08:17 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post
Then get a roommate or downgrade! Just like I said living outside your means

My rent is a year ago was $610 for nice 2 bedroom apartment in complex
If somebody is loses their job, they are can't move to a 2 bedroom or downgrade immediately. They would have to live in their 1 bedroom until the end of the lease. Apartment managers will not end the lease, because somebody lost their job.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:59 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,355 times
I'm not sure if it's been said or not, but you take the performance plan option and you start looking for a new job. The performance plan option is basically they've already made up their mind to fire you, they just need an excuse. So you have warning, start looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment