Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2014, 02:49 PM

212 posts, read 1,001,662 times

Advertisements

I am a shy, reserved person that is currently working in the research department of a large company. I was interested in this position because I thought I would be doing "behind the scenes" work, where I could quietly do my job and submit data/presentation documents to other departments (ie - marketing/press).

Unfortunately for me, the job is not what I expected. I am required to go to a lot of meetings and do a lot of presentations. I am often called out in these meetings but I am not a person who thinks fast on the spot - I need to think over my answer before responding. I also hate talking in front of large groups of people.

I have been doing my best to deal. Before meetings, I collect as much information as possible so I am prepared for questions. For the presentations I give, I practice for hours beforehand. Unfortunately, it has not eased the stress I feel every single day. I am starting to get panic attacks in the morning when I head to the office. My doctor prescribed me Xanax but even this doesn't help my anxiety. I now realize it's time for a change.

So does anyone have any suggestions on a job field that would better suit my personality? I am good at analyzing data and crunching numbers, but I am also creative and like to design templates for presentations and documents. I want a career I can grow in. Despite my introverted personality, I like working in small groups and think I could become a good manager of a small team.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment