Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 07:44 AM

406 posts, read 559,339 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I get to a point in a continuous cycle where I'll feel like I'm in a slump and get bored with just work. I feel the need to do more -- training, certifications, education. I'm once again at this point, have enough certs for the time being, have already gone to my annual training, and have even taken up a second job online evaluating Google search results to keep myself occupied; however, I'm starting to seriously question if going back to school full-time (while working) would be worthwhile.

A little background: I've been out of undergrad for about 4.5 years now, immediately started working full-time in the IT field as a systems engineer, completed some certifications, and ended up getting bored and started up school again full-time at the 6-month mark. I graduated with a MS in Computer Information Systems in 2012 -- which is in all actuality, an IT management focused degree from the college of business at a major university; however, at face value on a resume, it appears to be more of a technical degree.

Would it be worthwhile to pursue a traditional MBA in addition to this? Money is not a concern -- I can either attend Syracuse University for free through my wife's work benefits or most other schools through my own. Time commitment and workload would not be an issue, I've done it before and things never became too overbearing.

I guess my real concern would be whether or not there is any value to doing this... In terms of career progression. Would it simply be redundant with my current masters degree? While I am in a very technical role now, my goal is to one day transition toward management.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 07:49 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Yes, I think it would absolutely be redundant.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:38 AM

649 posts, read 1,423,606 times
It will be redundant unless you're thinking about going into a different field. Focus on doing a good job at work and find a hobby to keep you busy in your spare time. The management position will come with time.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:58 AM

514 posts, read 764,449 times
These people don't know what they are talking about. An MBA is about buying into a network, not coursework. You spend 2 years learning absolutely nothing just so that you can sit in front a recruiter from a major consulting firm (i.e. Bain, Mckinsey, Boston, Deloitte, Pwc). To be sure, an MBA from a top twenty b-school is probably the only way you will get an interview from one of these companies, short of doing your undergrad at at an ivy league school.

At any rate, I would only advise you take this path if you can get into a top business school and want to work in consulting. Otherwise, it will be a large waste of time.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,305 times
Given your situation, you should absolutely get an MBA, especially if you can get into a top 50 school. Look, if you aspire to be management, take a quick look at middle/top management at most Fortune 500s. Most of them have MBAs. The fact that you can do this for free makes it a no-brainer.

An MBA usually delivers 3 types of value:

1) It gives you a brand name school on your resume (especially if this is one of the top MBA programs)
2) It gives you a manager's network. The alumni network will be biased toward managers, precisely what you need for your career aspirations
3) It signals to your bosses/HR/others that you are serious about management

All three are applicable in your case. Especially number 3. IT/Engineers have a hard time transitioning into management in part because of the perception that they can't manage or don't want to manage.

Getting a MBA is a hard signal that you are both technically proficient and a managerial candidate.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:47 AM

307 posts, read 560,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfed View Post
Hi all. I get to a point in a continuous cycle where I'll feel like I'm in a slump and get bored with just work. I feel the need to do more -- training, certifications, education. I'm once again at this point, have enough certs for the time being, have already gone to my annual training, and have even taken up a second job online evaluating Google search results to keep myself occupied; however, I'm starting to seriously question if going back to school full-time (while working) would be worthwhile.

A little background: I've been out of undergrad for about 4.5 years now, immediately started working full-time in the IT field as a systems engineer, completed some certifications, and ended up getting bored and started up school again full-time at the 6-month mark. I graduated with a MS in Computer Information Systems in 2012 -- which is in all actuality, an IT management focused degree from the college of business at a major university; however, at face value on a resume, it appears to be more of a technical degree.

Would it be worthwhile to pursue a traditional MBA in addition to this? Money is not a concern -- I can either attend Syracuse University for free through my wife's work benefits or most other schools through my own. Time commitment and workload would not be an issue, I've done it before and things never became too overbearing.

I guess my real concern would be whether or not there is any value to doing this... In terms of career progression. Would it simply be redundant with my current masters degree? While I am in a very technical role now, my goal is to one day transition toward management.

Thanks in advance.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your concern seems to focus on VALUE you expect to get in a piece of paper. Sure, it represents the energy, effort and time you put into getting that piece of paper...but by itself has no value. The value is in you already. But if you are not confident enough in your ability to progress in your chosen career with what you already possess....by all means, go for the MBA. I'm sure it will help get your career launched in the right direction.

Keep in mind, having a particular degree will not guarantee you'll get into the right career path you are hoping for. I have been in the recruiting business for over 18 years and have recruited and filled positions with candidates that have impressive academic credentials (PhDs, Masters of this and that from ivy-league universities, etc) that didn't quite work out once they were on board. They didn't fit in the culture...or psyche of the organization they were hired into. Many were arrogant, cocky...and have that superior attitude that rubbed off wrong with the rest of the staff and other managers. Not enough to cause a major disaster in the organization...but enough to cause damage that took a long time to repair. Lessons learned... I'd rather recommend to management to hire someone with just the strong Four Cs...than hire someone who is technically highly qualified with impressive academic degrees but lack or weak in the Four Cs. It didn't mean that we shun those with graduate degrees...but we had become more careful to make sure that all things being equal...we also looked into those attributes that make them a good fit in the organization's culture.

I have an undergraduate degree in Anthropology....and was lucky to get a paid three-year hands-on rotational internship in HR management. When I was interviewed for this position (the internship), I was not asked anything at all about my knowledge of HR operations..which was ok since I really didn't know much about the subject anyway. Instead, I was asked about my personal attributes...the 4 Cs. Those, I had plenty of experience in. I was told by one of my mentors...that the 3-year training required as much effort and energy as getting a PhD. I believe it. It was a constant challenge for me. I did learn a great deal and very grateful for the opportunity. But I'm not sure if things would have turned out better had I gotten an MBA or PhD. I really don't think it would have mattered. With my BA, the three-year HR internship...and some job experience, by the end of my internship, I was earning as much as someone with a PhD. Not that one's salary should be used as a measure for success...but this seems the be one that most corporations today use to measure it by. I prefer to use other methods to measure success.

Best of luck to you.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:49 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfed View Post

Thanks in advance.
The MBA is only worth it if a.) you plan on changing careers and b.) You go to selective school.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:32 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Aside from top schools, and even then not as much as in the past, the MBA isn't really as respected as it once was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcoDV0dhWPA

Old 07-27-2014, 01:48 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
These people don't know what they are talking about. An MBA is about buying into a network, not coursework. You spend 2 years learning absolutely nothing just so that you can sit in front a recruiter from a major consulting firm (i.e. Bain, Mckinsey, Boston, Deloitte, Pwc). To be sure, an MBA from a top twenty b-school is probably the only way you will get an interview from one of these companies, short of doing your undergrad at at an ivy league school.

At any rate, I would only advise you take this path if you can get into a top business school and want to work in consulting. Otherwise, it will be a large waste of time.
So many things wrong with this, I hope the OP disregards it.

I did not get my MBA to buy into a network. And the coursework was very useful to what I do. I was at a consulting firm but did not do it to get to one. And an MBA is far from the only way to get into one of the consultancies you mention, very far.

The OP did not say he wants to get not consulting. And the really funny (not ha ha funny) is that you say that nobody knows what they are talking about but you come to the same conclusion as many.

Seems like you're the one who lacks insight.

OP, if you have a Masters already, another one can seem a little strange. Management responsibilities will come. A great way to become more prominent is to get on the speaking circuit. Hitch your wagon to a director, or someone with a good name in the field, team up with them by doing most of the work on content and slides. Then, after a couple speaking engagements at conferences you can go off on your own.

Best of luck

Old 07-27-2014, 02:21 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times
shhhh
The No-Pay MBA - How I'm putting together a complete MBA using free online resources.

There's nothing wrong with a business education but frankly I don't see the validation for some of the prices. Finance, accounting, sales, organizational development are fine but you really don't need to go crazy.

Personally after a masters I say it's really about collecting various certificates for enrichment, training, educational etc. So a certificate or so every few years as part of CEU's. Maybe a license somewhere.

Maybe see if you can help out a small business at SCORE. You'd be surprised sometimes how much they know about IT.There's a fair amount of small businesses that could seriously improve with the right technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment