Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 952 times

Advertisements

The sometimes sad truth is that everyone has their own opinions, usually formed from something that happened to them or a loved one. I am myself a truck driver, as well as having a PHD. I choose to do this job because is hard job to do. There's much more than driving down the highway, which is usually all most motorists see us do.
People simply have their own opinions. Like the people that protest war while a soldier is away from his/her family fighting for their right to protest and be free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 789 times
I drive a truck. It’s not that people look down on a truck driver.
It’s the old school truck drivers that gave the profession a bad rap.
Doing drugs, messing with hookers, driving drunk and tired and not showering regularly so they stunk.
But these days most drivers went to school to learn the trade. Very professional! Many Christian drivers, many married men and women trying to support their families in this economy. Most companies drug test and the dot make sure your not driving tired. The new electronic logs and csa scores help keep only the best drivers on the road. And lot lizards??? I’ve been driving 10 years and although they exist I’m sure, I’ve never seen one. But I only stay at the big truck stops with security and cameras so they avoid those. I believe just like in life, you have good and bad with everything. But people label things and people they don’t understand. Like having a bad experience with a Christian or a person of a different race or a rich person may make you reject them all because of not understanding every person is unique and different in their own way. Judge the person on them alone and not by preconceived ideas you may have. I’m faithful to my fiancé and love my children. I’d do something else but it’s the best thing I know how to do to earn a living which has pay equivalent to a college grad. It’s a trade and if you can handle being gone and seeing your friends and family only once every week or two which is the hardest part. Then your very fortunate.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:37 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,134 times
Truck drivers, I have respect for them and their professions.

Professions I tend to look down upon: prostitution (though not as bad as the ones that follow) drug dealer (though not as bad as the ones that follow), politician, CEO, lobbyist, lawyer (especially immigration lawyer), abortion doctor, government bureaucrat, George Soros $15/hr protest-Trump protestor

Old 01-03-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Some people in the world feel that because trucking does not require going to school for a year or more to learn a trade, that anyone could do it and so they look down on it.

None of us should look down on any job, but we've sort of created an elitist country here, by doing away with a lot of factory jobs, eliminating trade schools, and creating a culture where the thought is most people should go to college.

Some people enjoy driving and enjoy periods of solitude. I think it's a perfect fit for someone like that who also has the skills it takes to be able to drive a truck.

As someone once said, "What other people think of me is none of my business." It really has nothing to do with you and everything to do with them and their hangups and issues.
I'm feeling the opposite, after seeing people go to college, get into debt, and only get that low wage job that they got before college, or, worse, get the job, only to be replaced by an H1B or have their job shipped to India.

Count me in on the "going to college doesn't make or break you" crowd (and I myself went to college too!).

Old 01-03-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
Agree with this post. It reminds me of what I read on another site concerning restaurant workers. Someone posted that they don't tip "those people" because all they do is get drunk after work. This is news to me that everyone who works in restaurants gets drunk on their off time. I think all this maker/taker talk is part of problem. It's become way too easy to judge someone else and their line of work so that now days only certain jobs and professions seem to deserve any respect.
Wish I could rep this comment more. But unfortunately, making alternate accounts to do so is against city-data policy.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:49 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,894 times
Truck drivers make good money. I don't look down on them (might be because I know some). If it weren't for the whole driving part (only enjoyable when I'm a passenger), I'd think about becoming one myself!

Old 01-04-2018, 04:27 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Just remember where all that cheap Chinese junk you buy at Wallyworld comes from...
It comes From China, in a container on a ship, put into port then unloaded to the dock where it will either be put on a rail car to be transported to it's destination of it will be put on a truck to be transported to it's destination.
Amazingly enough semi trucks are not the only form of transportation for any product used/wanted by consumers.

Just remember who delivers most of what you use in your comfortable daily living/consumption.....

Old 01-04-2018, 09:04 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,033 times
Truck drivers, especially if you own your own truck, make great money. I could never drive something that large. I see them back up into docks with such ease and I cant parallel park haha

We need them and I never look down on someone making an honest living.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:29 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I could never drive something that large. I see them back up into docks with such ease and I cant parallel park haha
Also this. The thought is simply terrifying. I salute truck drivers! Just please stop driving so close to me in my itty bitty car. thanks.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:32 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
I admire them. They have some serious skills behind the wheel. They also do a very important job currently vital to our society and it involves lots of time away from home. I applaud thee truckers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment