Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 12:08 PM
mzd

419 posts, read 886,700 times

Advertisements

Everything you send to him should be "CMRRR" - Certified mail, return receipt required. It adds a couple of bucks to the cost, but somebody on the receiving end has to sign for it and you get an absolute proof they got it.

If I were you, I would only communicate with him via text. Give him a dose of his own medicine.

UI is state-dependent, so check with the Employment Commission of your state. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 12:10 PM

584 posts, read 575,969 times
I really appreciate all of the replies and support. You've all been very helpful. I've never been unemployed before and my husband is on a 2-year contract overseas and my family (other than my dogs, who keep me sane) all live thousands of miles away, so it's kind of lonely and overwhelming dealing with this situation.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:18 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah18 View Post
I wondered if, because my only option to stay with the company is to make a 2700 mile move, I could turn that down and still apply for UI. I've heard differing opinions on that. Some said anything over 65 miles, some said anything out of state, some said it doesn't matter. However, I decided that I would not even investigate that further and I'll just take whatever the temp agency can give me until I find something for the long-term.
This probably varies state to state, but my understanding is that if your job is no longer within a reasonable commuting distance from your home or where you were residing when working there that you are effectively laid off, even if they offer you employment in another region of the country. I would file anyway as that is why money is paid into it. You don't know how long it will take you to get a temp position let alone a new full time job.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:25 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
^^^ I was going to say the same thing. If your company has relocated a significant distance, you may be able to get unemployment, so check it out.

I also agree with the poster who suggested using certified mail. I would also add a line to your letter that said something like, "since you have ignored my repeated requests for specific instructions on how to return company property, I have placed it in X storage unit. Rent for the storage unit has been paid through X."

Keep copies of everything.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:29 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Also, once you voluntarily leave, UI is not possible.
The OP was forced to either resign or transfer thousands of miles away. That is a situation where you often can collect UI.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah18 View Post
I don't think I'm obsessing about it. I've never been unemployed before and quitting my job was a scary decision. I know the job market is difficult, so I am worried.

I have housing available to me and my dogs, so I don't feel right about suddenly pulling the offer from the renters. None of this is their fault and finding dog-friendly housing can be extremely difficult. I don't need to put them in that situation and I'm not in any danger of being homeless. I have my house mostly packed up and I may as well start fresh all around in a location where jobs may be more readily available.
I don't think you're obsessing either, but you didn't handle this right at all.

Why did you rent your house out if you knew you didn't want to live back east? Yes, it would have been inconvenient for the new tenants to look elsewhere, but this happens all time including with houses for sale.

But you knew from the start you didn't want to relocate.

Also you should have just let him terminate you and you would get unemployment. Because it would have been deemed an unreasonable distance to keep your job. And you should still go ahead and apply, you might get it due to the distance.

Now you're going to be unemployed, having to pay rent on a second place. Even though you're going to be collecting rent on your home, look at the hassle you caused yourself. Two of the most stressful things are moving and job change.

Personally I think he is doing this to get out of paying unemployment. Because he knows it was unreasonable to ask someone to make a move like this.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:32 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
How long does the OP continue to store this stuff at his expense if the owner does not pick it up? What does he do with the equipment if he doesn't pick up after a reasonable time?

Old 07-28-2014, 12:40 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
How long does the OP continue to store this stuff at his expense if the owner does not pick it up? What does he do with the equipment if he doesn't pick up after a reasonable time?
OP said it was put on a company credit card.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:43 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
OP said it was put on a company credit card.
Whoops, missed that part. So does he just do a month and leave it? And then if the boss doesn't pay for another month it will end up on storage wars?

Old 07-28-2014, 12:56 PM

217 posts, read 314,120 times
You should have said " Ok, well if you dont accept my resignation, go ahead and keep paying me for not working"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment