Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 12:40 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times

Advertisements

Older people (management or not) don't usually get along with young folks who have drama issues. The OP feeling the need to say this woman is fat & old while she is young & thin, well, that pretty much tells me where her maturity level is at IMHO. Either way, this is a work environment and there's a reason we get paid to do something, so I'd just do it and don't worry about what others think. My work ethic should bypass personal opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 03:46 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
why does the OP discuss the co workers weight and age? what does that have to do with the supervisors perceived attitude toward you? had the OP not mentioned these things in describing the problem would be one thing but it seems that some kind of competition or pre conceived notion is happening on the part of the OP . is the OP overweight and older/younger than the supervisor? is she comparing herself to the supervisor?

ive noted a few times some co workers who interpret my lack of socializing as "coldness" or "uppity" but thank god they are all gone now. but the distortions they developed about me when its simply my way of relating (to be cut and dry).

focusing more on job tasks rather than the subjective part might be helpful

Old 08-02-2014, 12:14 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Older people (management or not) don't usually get along with young folks who have drama issues. The OP feeling the need to say this woman is fat & old while she is young & thin, well, that pretty much tells me where her maturity level is at IMHO. Either way, this is a work environment and there's a reason we get paid to do something, so I'd just do it and don't worry about what others think. My work ethic should bypass personal opinions.
Older people have drama issues too you know. OP expressing how she feels isn't an indication of her maturity level, but poor judgment on those who pass it.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:26 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookieLuLu View Post
She is really nice to other people, but she acts so rude to me all of the time. She is overweight and mid 30's. I'm 10 yrs younger than she is and thin. I noticed that she was super perky to most of the employees most of the time and jokes around with them and has conversations with them. When I tried to talk to her about her weekend(she went away to the beach for the weekend), she got snotty and said she probably doesn't go as much as me and told me to get back to work. I'm not sure why she doesn't like me. The only reason I can think of is jealousy.
This is your direct supervisor? If so, I doubt that she is jealous. As a manager, someone's looks would neither make or break our relationship. It was always the quality of the work. I lived or died by THEIR work product/numbers so that is what mattered.

But ~ you could be the best looking person in the world (male or female) and if your work product was making me look bad, then you were not going to be my favorite employee. Period.

Perhaps there is nothing more to it than that.

OTOH, there were managers that *seemed* not to hire attractive people. So, it's not impossible but neither is it probable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful"
Yes, there is a good bit of that attitude coming through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookieLuLu View Post
I don't judge her based on her weight and age. She has judged me for some reason and is always rude and looking down her nose at me. For instance, the other day I asked her for help and she told me to figure it out on my own or find a new job. One of the other employees told me what to do, but I figured it out after that. Then another guy supervisor was around and she acted all cheerful around him then and was helping out the employees.
That's all you have done in this thread. Perhaps she is picking up on that. She sounds like a caricature of a manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment