Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 09:10 PM

171 posts, read 407,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
If you want to be on the leading edge of design and dev. You need to focus on languages and products that make you most productive. With the right tools you should be able to do the work of 3 or more hand coders. Also, if you're going to use email, you should have your own website with an email address at your domain name!
I agree, I was "learning a bit of everything", but recently I've been really focusing on Photoshop, Illustrator, HTML5/CSS3, PHP, mySQL, and Javascript (jQuery, AJAX, & JSON).

These seem to be the technologies that'll help me most in the long run. And yeah still trying to code up and deploy my personal site so I can have my own email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
That there's a guy in India willing to do your job for $4 an hour.
Got a taste of outsourcing earlier this year. Not a good feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 10:02 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonHardy View Post
Wow, that is very interesting. I was learning Angular, but heard it was really similar to Backbone so I put it down for that.
Yea. Angular is similar to backbone but is more in line with the w3c's guidelines around web components. Backbone has been very popular, but it's been outpaced by some newer frameworks. Angular was the newer one that was expected to hold out until web components but it looks like Angular is on its way out for the more favorable Polymer and React.js. React is extremely fast, but Polymer is similar to web components.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yea. Angular is similar to backbone but is more in line with the w3c's guidelines around web components. Backbone has been very popular, but it's been outpaced by some newer frameworks. Angular was the newer one that was expected to hold out until web components but it looks like Angular is on its way out for the more favorable Polymer and React.js. React is extremely fast, but Polymer is similar to web components.
Thanks for putting me on alert about React, looks like something I might wanna learn sometime.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:03 AM

96 posts, read 245,372 times
What to know before getting a job, hmm?

1. Try to find a firm that will do the dirty work (of getting paid) for you. If you plan on freelancing, look for agencies that already have an installed client base, or firms that will find the work for you. The most stressful part of the industry is negotiating with clients. You are a developer. Negotiation really shouldn't be a part of the occupation.

2. Be prepared to read between the lines. If a company has a laundry list of job requirements and already appears to be well-established, chances are you will be applying for a position previously held by an individual who had left the company prior (not always the case, but happens more often than not).

3. Ignore job listings for rockstar ninjas. These people do not value their businesses properly, and neither should you (unless they, themselves are indeed rockstars). You are a junior frontend developer, not a rockstar ninja.

3. Don't get discouraged. Employers these days have gotten far more demanding. Even in a junior role, not only will you be expected to be a full-stack developer, but you may also need to master a number of frameworks (some of which are still in their infancy). Employers will also ask for a bachelor's degree in computer science, however experience and application may trump education depending on the scenario.

4. Don't sell yourself short. Somebody once said, "Work for free. Work for full price. Never for cheap." You are better off giving gifts and doing favors than racing to the bottom.

5. Don't be afraid to go into business for yourself. If you, yourself are a visionary, and find yourself working for a small startup that doesn't share your vision, then you may be better off spending your energy on acquiring the appropriate funding to carry out the product you envisioned. Ultimately, you are there to help the startup reach its goal, not the other way around.

Now is such exciting of a time to be involved with web and mobile application development. However, it also kind of sucks seeing the direction where everything could potentially be heading. Stay positive and keep your eyes open, and you'll do fine.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIBЄ View Post
What to know before getting a job, hmm?

1. Try to find a firm that will do the dirty work (of getting paid) for you. If you plan on freelancing, look for agencies that already have an installed client base, or firms that will find the work for you. The most stressful part of the industry is negotiating with clients. You are a developer. Negotiation really shouldn't be a part of the occupation.

2. Be prepared to read between the lines. If a company has a laundry list of job requirements and already appears to be well-established, chances are you will be applying for a position previously held by an individual who had left the company prior (not always the case, but happens more often than not).

3. Ignore job listings for rockstar ninjas. These people do not value their businesses properly, and neither should you (unless they, themselves are indeed rockstars). You are a junior frontend developer, not a rockstar ninja.

3. Don't get discouraged. Employers these days have gotten far more demanding. Even in a junior role, not only will you be expected to be a full-stack developer, but you may also need to master a number of frameworks (some of which are still in their infancy). Employers will also ask for a bachelor's degree in computer science, however experience and application may trump education depending on the scenario.

4. Don't sell yourself short. Somebody once said, "Work for free. Work for full price. Never for cheap." You are better off giving gifts and doing favors than racing to the bottom.

5. Don't be afraid to go into business for yourself. If you, yourself are a visionary, and find yourself working for a small startup that doesn't share your vision, then you may be better off spending your energy on acquiring the appropriate funding to carry out the product you envisioned. Ultimately, you are there to help the startup reach its goal, not the other way around.

Now is such exciting of a time to be involved with web and mobile application development. However, it also kind of sucks seeing the direction where everything could potentially be heading. Stay positive and keep your eyes open, and you'll do fine.
Awesome advice brah, thanks! How would I go about finding agencies and firms to work for?

Also, should I still apply to jobs that ask for a BS? I've heard for a lot of people that degrees aren't necessary in Web Development and Design.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:46 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonHardy View Post
Awesome advice brah, thanks! How would I go about finding agencies and firms to work for?

Also, should I still apply to jobs that ask for a BS? I've heard for a lot of people that degrees aren't necessary in Web Development and Design.
Yes, I think you should. Employers often "require" a degree in computer science or another related field but that is almost always NOT a hard and fast requirement.

The job req for the job I just accepted requires a computer science degree. I have a degree in a liberal arts discipline.

In this field it's less about what degree you have and more about what you can DO. The more experience you have, the less your educational background matters. At this point in my career, interviewers rarely ask me where I went to school or what I majored in even though it's right there on my resume. They don't care. They don't even get that far. Even if they do bring it up, it's more to joke with me about football rivalries than anything else.

(I went to UT-Austin, a "powerhouse" school for college football. You see a lot of Texas Tech, Texas A&M, and U. of Oklahoma graduates here. All of those teams are/were major rivals of ours. Whenever I'm being interviewed by an Aggie, I mention to them that I miss the old rivalry since they moved to the SEC from the Big 12, where Texas still is, but now I have TWO great Texas teams to root for instead of just one. They love that.)

Old 07-31-2014, 08:53 AM

322 posts, read 384,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
That there's a guy in India willing to do your job for $4 an hour.
^This. And that the guys in India will gladly work 14 - 16 hours a day without complaint. That is what really scares me.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:19 AM

493 posts, read 980,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Web development is an interesting field. The more junior you are, the more you are expected to have dabbled in newer technologies/frameworks and the less you are expected to know of anything old. This is because people tend to pick up the latest frameworks when they first get into web development. It would be silly to say that you're going to focus on the old stuff so you can catch up and learn the new stuff. This works in many other areas, but is just not the case in web development.

HTML/CSS/JS is a must.

Older technologies like jQuery, PHP, etc. are not desirable in junior level developers.

Newer technologies like React.js, Angular, Require.js, Flexbox, Streams (with node or something similar in the backend), RESTful, etc.

A good sense of design is great to have. Responsive is great as well.
I have to disagree with the bolded part, PHP isn't the most important for a front end developer, but I've seen a lot of junior positions that require knowledge of jQuery, and except for larger companies with extremely distinct teams, back end knowledge such as PHP and even MySQL can be a great boost. Experience with an MVC framework is also usually a nice boost, even older ones. Most companies I've found don't care too much about the particular framework, as long as you've worked with one. Angular and Backbone are definitely strong technologies but most places I've looked at list them as "nice to haves". Responsive design is definitely a huge buzzword in the industry right now.

The suggested technologies can also change depending on the specific company. Right now there are a lot of front end developer positions that require good knowledge of Wordpress, especially if they are a CMS shop. Marketing firms often want their developers to have a familiarity with Salesforce. Unfortunately, in computer programming you need to know the job you want before you know what to learn. There were places I interviewed at that wouldn't even consider somebody without Wordpress experience, but at the job that I accepted knowing Wordpress wouldn't even get me the slightest brownie points, it was completely irrelevant. At the very least, OP, you should have an idea of the general industry you want to be in, but you should definitely have the basics (HTML, CSS, and JS) and at least 1 or 2 more advanced skillsets (Angular/Backbone, Database, Server Side, etc.)

My company just recently hired a junior front end developer and our list of requirements was:

Essential:

HTML 5
CSS 3
jQuery
AJAX
Some PHP experience
Some MySQL experience
Some MVC experience, Zend 1 preferred.

Nice To Have:

Backbone.js
Cometd
Photoshop experience
SASS
Experience with responsive design
MongoDB experience
Knowledge of Salesforce

Even though this new hire's primary role is front end design and development, if she was working on a page and needed a new view variable, she should be competent enough to go into the PHP and know how to set the variable, rather than creating a new issue and pushing off the task to a back end developer.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:18 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,487,912 times
I checked your web page from work - the same place I'd be if I were checking any candidate's information.

I got a giant popup that the site does not support IE 8 and asking me to upgrade to another browser before I could go forward. This could be a big problem because my company requires IE8. The company I came from also had IE 8 installed by default.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yes, I think you should. Employers often "require" a degree in computer science or another related field but that is almost always NOT a hard and fast requirement.

The job req for the job I just accepted requires a computer science degree. I have a degree in a liberal arts discipline.

In this field it's less about what degree you have and more about what you can DO. The more experience you have, the less your educational background matters. At this point in my career, interviewers rarely ask me where I went to school or what I majored in even though it's right there on my resume. They don't care. They don't even get that far. Even if they do bring it up, it's more to joke with me about football rivalries than anything else.

(I went to UT-Austin, a "powerhouse" school for college football. You see a lot of Texas Tech, Texas A&M, and U. of Oklahoma graduates here. All of those teams are/were major rivals of ours. Whenever I'm being interviewed by an Aggie, I mention to them that I miss the old rivalry since they moved to the SEC from the Big 12, where Texas still is, but now I have TWO great Texas teams to root for instead of just one. They love that.)
Lol nice, glad to see you making it brah. Thanks again for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post
I have to disagree with the bolded part, PHP isn't the most important for a front end developer, but I've seen a lot of junior positions that require knowledge of jQuery, and except for larger companies with extremely distinct teams, back end knowledge such as PHP and even MySQL can be a great boost. Experience with an MVC framework is also usually a nice boost, even older ones. Most companies I've found don't care too much about the particular framework, as long as you've worked with one. Angular and Backbone are definitely strong technologies but most places I've looked at list them as "nice to haves". Responsive design is definitely a huge buzzword in the industry right now.

The suggested technologies can also change depending on the specific company. Right now there are a lot of front end developer positions that require good knowledge of Wordpress, especially if they are a CMS shop. Marketing firms often want their developers to have a familiarity with Salesforce. Unfortunately, in computer programming you need to know the job you want before you know what to learn. There were places I interviewed at that wouldn't even consider somebody without Wordpress experience, but at the job that I accepted knowing Wordpress wouldn't even get me the slightest brownie points, it was completely irrelevant. At the very least, OP, you should have an idea of the general industry you want to be in, but you should definitely have the basics (HTML, CSS, and JS) and at least 1 or 2 more advanced skillsets (Angular/Backbone, Database, Server Side, etc.)

My company just recently hired a junior front end developer and our list of requirements was:

Essential:

HTML 5
CSS 3
jQuery
AJAX
Some PHP experience
Some MySQL experience
Some MVC experience, Zend 1 preferred.

Nice To Have:

Backbone.js
Cometd
Photoshop experience
SASS
Experience with responsive design
MongoDB experience
Knowledge of Salesforce

Even though this new hire's primary role is front end design and development, if she was working on a page and needed a new view variable, she should be competent enough to go into the PHP and know how to set the variable, rather than creating a new issue and pushing off the task to a back end developer.
I have pretty much all of the requirements you listed, I guess I should start applying to jobs now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
I checked your web page from work - the same place I'd be if I were checking any candidate's information.

I got a giant popup that the site does not support IE 8 and asking me to upgrade to another browser before I could go forward. This could be a big problem because my company requires IE8. The company I came from also had IE 8 installed by default.
Huh, I think Behance recently redesigned their site so maybe it doesn't support older browsers. It seems to be the trend now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment