Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 09:05 AM

917 posts, read 1,383,057 times

Advertisements

My coworker in the cubicle in front of me has his cellphone ringing all day. He has it on the loudest ringer and his phone goes off at least 20x a day (wish I was being dramatic but I’m not.) That’s just with phone calls). His message tones are always going off , I can hear the regular sound effects of the phone when he’s texting or taking pictures. It’s getting to be a bit of a distraction since his phone goes off so much, if I’m on the phone the caller on the other end would think it was my phone. (I have my phone on my desk but it’s on silent). Should I approach him or just have my supervisor tell him something? I wouldn’t even know how to bring it up since cell phones are a personal thing

Any advice?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 09:09 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,619 times
Go direct to him first. Just a "hey, can you put your phone on silent or vibrate - it's really distracting".

If that doesn't work, escalate it.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:16 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Go direct to him first. Just a "hey, can you put your phone on silent or vibrate - it's really distracting".

Best way to handle it IMO. Sometimes people just don't realize it.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:22 AM

917 posts, read 1,383,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Best way to handle it IMO. Sometimes people just don't realize it.
Thank you both.. Just didnt want to come off bad by telling them to turn it off. He's the only one in the office who has his phone off silent. You would think he'd get the hint..

Old 07-29-2014, 09:26 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Be a little passive aggressive about it and ask him the next time "Oh hey, rude dude, is that an Iphone 5/s5/flip phone, etc? Do you know how to put it on vibrate mode? If not I'd be happy to show you, because it's really annoying"

Old 07-29-2014, 09:44 AM

11 posts, read 13,985 times
That is not passive aggressive. Passive aggressive would be when he goes to the bathroom, get a cup of water, put his phone in it and leave an unsigned note saying "You left me no choice. This was the only way I could drown out the noise".

Old 07-29-2014, 09:49 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hand of the King View Post
That is not passive aggressive. Passive aggressive would be when he goes to the bathroom, get a cup of water, put his phone in it and leave an unsigned note saying "You left me no choice. This was the only way I could drown out the noise".
That sounds like aggressive aggressive to me lol.

Passive aggressive would be fake sneezing every time his phone goes off; going to his cubicle with an "urgent issue" every time his phone rang; or throwing a spit wad every time his phone goes off and then whistling and looking at the ceiling if he tried to see who did it.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:54 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
My coworker in the cubicle in front of me has his cellphone ringing all day. He has it on the loudest ringer and his phone goes off at least 20x a day (wish I was being dramatic but I’m not.) That’s just with phone calls). His message tones are always going off , I can hear the regular sound effects of the phone when he’s texting or taking pictures. It’s getting to be a bit of a distraction since his phone goes off so much, if I’m on the phone the caller on the other end would think it was my phone. (I have my phone on my desk but it’s on silent). Should I approach him or just have my supervisor tell him something? I wouldn’t even know how to bring it up since cell phones are a personal thing

Any advice?

Thank you!

I would talk to him about it first, if that doesn't work as someone else suggested escalate.

I do have to comment about you keeping your phone on your desk. Unless you have some family situation such as someone in the hospital, why the need to have the phone constantly in your face?

You're at work, check your phone on breaks or at lunchtime. Do you think getting personal calls/texts all day is OK because it's not on your work phone? It isn't, you're still conducting way too much personal business on company time. And while you may not think nobody notices, they are.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:15 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I would talk to him about it first, if that doesn't work as someone else suggested escalate.

I do have to comment about you keeping your phone on your desk. Unless you have some family situation such as someone in the hospital, why the need to have the phone constantly in your face?

You're at work, check your phone on breaks or at lunchtime. Do you think getting personal calls/texts all day is OK because it's not on your work phone? It isn't, you're still conducting way too much personal business on company time. And while you may not think nobody notices, they are.
Are you referring to the OP here?? Or the OP's co-worker? Because if it's the OP, let me help you up off your high horse.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:21 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
An example of a passive-aggresive move would be to wait until your supervisor is walking around and then say in a really loud voice for everyone to hear, "I hate to bring this up, but I can't help but be distracted because someone's phone keeps going off every ten seconds." I do not agree with this approach, just giving an example.

RoadWarrior already gave the best advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment