Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 02:25 PM

12,087 posts, read 23,226,037 times

Advertisements

Security guard or pizza delivery. Depending on the size of school you are attending, check with student employment and see what they have available (but don't expect to be allowed to work more than 20hrs a week).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 02:50 PM

390 posts, read 823,984 times
Definitely nursing. You are wise beyond your years, brunettebabe to be thinking about these things when you are young. Nursing is seriously one of the best careers you can possibly do, and it's not a career that's going away any time soon - you can't outsource it or easily replace it with software or machines. The work/life balance is absolutely amazing for the level of pay, and if you need extra cash, you can just pick up extra shifts. I have some friends and neighbors who are both nurses. They make a combined income of almost $200k, and they are always going on vacation or enjoying themselves because they only work 3 days a week. It depends on what you're actually doing, but some nursing work isn't even particularly difficult. You also get the satisfaction that you are helping people with your career, not just assisting in the production of some mindless consumer product. The schooling and training might be difficult to get through, but if you work hard and get through it, it will pay off for the rest of your life.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:38 PM

12,087 posts, read 23,226,037 times
Unless I am misreading her post, she is not asking what to major in or what career to pursue, she is asking what types of 12 hour jobs are available to students who are working their way through college.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:55 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,736,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Unless I am misreading her post, she is not asking what to major in or what career to pursue, she is asking what types of 12 hour jobs are available to students who are working their way through college.
That's the way I read it as well

While we're I the subject, be careful of going into too much student loan debt for a career that may not produce. Nursing (if that's what you want) is a great career. I'm just saying not to go into 100k worth of loans for a job that pays $25k/year. Ok, getting off soap box now.

Kudos to you for working full time while in school. That is tough.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:01 PM

14 posts, read 14,422 times
Corrections, other law enforcement possibly.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:14 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,474,992 times
Work in the oilfields driving a truck...oh wait! That's 12-14 hrs 5-6 days each week.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:56 PM

226 posts, read 613,955 times
Thank you all for commenting and for your suggestions! Nursing is a great field! But I honestly don't think I could handle it. I am going to school to try and become a Therapist or a Psychologist. I just need a crappy job that will give me 12 hour shifts 3 days a week lol. I feel like that would work with my school schedule, I am not looking for career suggestion just crappy job suggestions haha. But I do appreciate everyones input! Very informative, thank you!

Old 07-29-2014, 11:41 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,821,355 times
You can try restaurants, hotels, fast food, they are always in need of people to work nights and weekends. However, I think 10 hour shifts would be more common than 12 hour shifts in those businesses.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:07 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,736,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunetteBabe1005 View Post
Thank you all for commenting and for your suggestions! Nursing is a great field! But I honestly don't think I could handle it. I am going to school to try and become a Therapist or a Psychologist. I just need a crappy job that will give me 12 hour shifts 3 days a week lol. I feel like that would work with my school schedule, I am not looking for career suggestion just crappy job suggestions haha. But I do appreciate everyones input! Very informative, thank you!
I wish you the best of luck. You have a strong work ethic and will go far

Old 07-30-2014, 09:21 AM

226 posts, read 613,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
You can try restaurants, hotels, fast food, they are always in need of people to work nights and weekends. However, I think 10 hour shifts would be more common than 12 hour shifts in those businesses.
Oh really? Yes! I was thinking about hotels! Well 10 hour shifts are fine, I just would rather work that way lol. Thank you so much for the suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment