Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 07:43 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,077,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
In my region, that barely affords you an apartment on your own. And you'll have a sucky commute.
The median household income in the City of San Francisco is 73K, which is not much higher than 60K.

Yes, there are a lot of rich people in San Francisco and NYC/Manhattan/Brooklyn/etc.

You probably need to make 100K to afford a halfway decent 1 bdrm apartment for yourself in a safe part of Manhattan because there are so many rich people. Same for SF.

That does not make that the standard for a decent living.

What you are basically saying is that anybody who can't afford a nice 1 bedroom on their own in a nice area in the richest pocket of the richest country in the world is not getting paid a decent wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 07:47 AM

8,036 posts, read 12,751,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

Excluding housing allowance is a big deal. As non-military, I have to pay for my housing out of my paycheck, and it is post tax dollars. That same E9 you talk about, without dependents, gets $1536/month tax free in my area. That is $18k per year, which is the rough equivalent of $24k pretax. With dependents that same E9 gets an allowance of $1920/monthly, which is roughly equivalent to $30k pretax.

You really cannot compare military salaries to non-military without including housing allowance.
How long does it take to become an E-9 in the military? In the Marine corps it is Sgt. Major or Master Gunnery Sgt. You are not going to achieve that rank in anything less than 15 years and it is very competitive.

I was assuming the original poster was asking what jobs pay 60k starting out. The other question was job security. Since the military is now downsizing there will be less job security.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:20 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,032,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
How long does it take to become an E-9 in the military? In the Marine corps it is Sgt. Major or Master Gunnery Sgt. You are not going to achieve that rank in anything less than 15 years and it is very competitive.

I was assuming the original poster was asking what jobs pay 60k starting out. The other question was job security. Since the military is now downsizing there will be less job security.
I never meant to imply that E9 was starting salary. I agree that it is fairly senior. But it is a bad comp to the OPs request. It takes many years to get there, but once you do the effective compensation is closer to $90k than $60k.

It seems to me the better comp would be E4, correct? This can be achieved in 2-3 years, so while it is not exactly starting salary, it is a decent representation of early career earnings. An E4 salary would be about $25k, housing allowance adds $12k post tax (we can view this as $14k pretax), so total comp is a bit less than $40k. Not bad for somebody w/o a degree, but certainly not luxurious.

Since the OP was looking at $60k, this implies a degree, so a better comp might be officer salaries. An O1 will start at $36k, plus $15k hosing (again, to calculate gross pretax, let's assume this is about $18k pretax), so total comp is $54k. That pretty close to $60k, and with only a few years of experience this person will see total compensation of $60 k.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:28 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,843,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I agree with this, but I would think most government jobs would have security, other than fairly high-level political appointees. You won't become wealthy, although in our county (King Cty, WA) there are 2157 county employees making 6 figures, so you're not going to be poor. If I had it to do over again I would go into some kind of gov't job. I'm a persuaded limited-gov't guy, but if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
Over 2,000 King County employees make six figures; is that why they want a tax increase? - The Dori Monson Show - MyNorthwest.com

I once heard the head of the state DSHS (health services) say that it is a "hellacious process" to fire any state worker. That is probably due to the way their union contracts are written.
6 figures isn't exactly the milestone that it once was, especially in the Seattle area. Try getting approved for a mortgage on $100,000 salary and see how many houses you can afford on the eastside.

It's not exactly chump change, but due to the ludicrous housing prices here you're still gonna want a second income.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:40 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,095,562 times
Job security and decent pay right here.

INTERNAL REVENUE AGENT

The Dept of Treasury has distinguished history dating back to the founding of our nation.As the steward of US economic and financial systems, Treasury is a major and influential leader in today's global economy.We have over 100,000 employees across the country and around the world.

Salary: $87,441.00 - $116,901.00 / Per Year Series & Grade: GS-0512-13/13 Location(s): Multiple Locations (2)
Open Period: 7/28/2014 to 8/1/2014 Announcement Number: 14CS6-LBX0189-0512-13-FA Department: Department Of The Treasury Agency: Internal Revenue Service Position Info: Full-time, Permanent - Career/Career Conditional Who May Apply: US citizens; no prior Federal experience is required.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:47 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,256,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vall View Post
Job security and decent pay right here.

INTERNAL REVENUE AGENT

The Dept of Treasury has distinguished history dating back to the founding of our nation.As the steward of US economic and financial systems, Treasury is a major and influential leader in today's global economy.We have over 100,000 employees across the country and around the world.

Salary: $87,441.00 - $116,901.00 / Per Year Series & Grade: GS-0512-13/13 Location(s): Multiple Locations (2)
Open Period: 7/28/2014 to 8/1/2014 Announcement Number: 14CS6-LBX0189-0512-13-FA Department: Department Of The Treasury Agency: Internal Revenue Service Position Info: Full-time, Permanent - Career/Career Conditional Who May Apply: US citizens; no prior Federal experience is required.
For an accountant, yes!

Quote:
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:

You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:

You must have:
Bachelor's or higher degree in accounting from an accredited college or university that included at least 30 semester hours (45 quarter hours) in accounting or 24 semester hours in accounting and an additional 6 semester hours in related subjects such as business law, economics, statistical/quantitative methods, computerized accounting or financial systems, financial management or finance. OR A combination of experience and education at an accredited college or university equivalent to a four year degree that included courses equivalent to a major in accounting, i.e. at least 30 semester hours in accounting or 24 semester hours in accounting and 6 semester hours in related subjects as described above. OR A Certificate as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) obtained through written examination in a State, territory, or the District of Columbia. OR Are currently serving as an Internal Revenue Agent GS-0512 and have been in this position for at least one year or was previously an Internal Revenue Agent GS-0512 and held the position for at least one year.
In addition to the above qualifications, you must possess the following professional accounting knowledges: Principles of Accounting, Intermediate Accounting, Cost Accounting, Advanced Accounting, and Auditing.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:55 AM

1,267 posts, read 2,054,719 times
Computer and Information Security

Old 08-01-2014, 12:22 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,040,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
Computer and Information Security
Overhyped. It's what healthcare was a few years ago. There's going to be a glut of these people, and the blithe media that whipped everyone into a frenzy over it will move onto the next Big Thing.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:34 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,727,775 times
Is anyone here posting self employed?

Maybe the reason there are few if any people posting here who are self employed is because they're not lamenting their job sitaution?

Old 08-01-2014, 12:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,534 posts, read 81,025,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Is anyone here posting self employed?

Maybe the reason there are few if any people posting here who are self employed is because they're not lamenting their job sitaution?
I was self employed for 16 years, and made a good living but eventually got tired of the long hours, peaks and valleys of income, paying for my own medical and retirement savings, lack of time for vacations, and continued increase in the cost of rent, materials and supplies, and labor. Now I make about what I did in the best months of the best years in business, with full benefits, retirement, and only work 40 hours a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment