Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 02:23 PM

715 posts, read 791,071 times

Advertisements

Out of all the jobs you have done what has been the best job you have done

For me being an admin assistant at the job centre for 4 week placement learnt so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 02:25 PM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
raising two great kids

Old 07-31-2014, 02:38 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,190 times
Worst job: part time janitor of fitness center

Best job: signal repairman/installer for the railroad. Had a lot of freedom with that job.

I drove the boom truck, so I went and picked stuff up with a crane and got supplies. When the weather was rainy or snowing we didn't work out in the bad weather. We did other work.

We used to work extra and get the whole month of December off going a week into January while collecting pay checks. The work was challenging and interesting. I liked it as well as I think I could like a job.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:47 PM

498 posts, read 977,556 times
For almost a year while I was in high school I worked part time at a boarding kennel. My job was to take the dogs out for exercise and I could play with them as much as I liked. Best job I ever had even if I didn't make much money at it.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:01 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
Best: My current job. Good pay, good benefits, good hours, a lot of freedom to do my job, treated with respect, good coworkers and atmosphere.

Worst: Pep[everyone's a miserable permatemp]si. No benefits, poor pay, company treats workers like excrement to avoid being sued, terrible morale, constantly giving themselves awards for being an ethical company [in their sick delusional minds] almost drove me to quit the profession.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
The one I have now. As a manager with very little oversight, I am able to act independently, do challenging work, have great pay and benefits, a window office with water, mountain, and city skyline views. After some adjustments I now have a great, hard working, respectful and cooperative staff. The upper management cares about the work-life balance, doesn't micro-manage and doesn't expect me to.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:27 PM

19 posts, read 30,379 times
Best Job: Overnight stocker for Walmart - Worked there while going to college. I started at low pay and worked my way up to decent pay. Few customers and I was left alone to work. I had great relationships and made good friends that I still have till this day.

Worst Job: Case manager. Starting pay was same as my ending pay at Walmart but still too low for the work. Too many politics and low job security. Struggling to help people with a victim mentality that don't really want to be helped. All these heavily outweighed the good work life balance

Old 07-31-2014, 08:20 PM

388 posts, read 535,955 times
Although I love my current job...
Probably the best was working in the IT/Media department at a large university.
We basically had little to no supervision, but never took it for granted.

All the employees in the dept (mix of student work-studies and regular employees) got along extremely well... no exceptions. We did our job well (we constantly got exceptional feedback/scores) and no one slacked off.

We did pranks and parties and helped each other without hesitation. Probably the best employee relationship experience I ever had. I actually looked forward going to work at times.

While we actually did have a large office, at times it felt that the office was basically the university... and could use all the amenities it offered. You could take a break at the little parks in it, go to the campus gym, go to the bookstore, have a stroll around the campus, take advantage of all the various dining options, and attend the student events (in addition to the faculty/staff only events.)

I never did the "college life" after high school which I regretted, but this more than made up for it.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:36 PM

103 posts, read 185,421 times
The job I had when I was 19-23 was the best for me, I was a file clerk and then became secretary for the company. I had incredible bosses, decent co workers, benefits etc. I left the job and went to work for the AT&T because I was job offered at $6 over what I was making at that job. It was a small company and they couldn't match that pay. I didn't realize how good I had it at the small company and I still stop in and say hi to them.
My current company is my 2nd favorite I am a reservationist for a hotel property and it's a small company and I enjoy my job, my manager is great and so are my co workers.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:38 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Hmm.. All my jobs with one exception had something redeeming to them. And something that was bad.

My first job in my career field.. I learned a ton.. pay suuuuuuuucked. The next job was with great people, but there was alot of travel which wore me down, and I worked in Doctors offices.. Never been sicker in my life. Every time I got sent to a pediatricians office, I came out with some kind of creeping crud.

After that was with a small cabling company where I basically ran the IT department, until we were purchased.. Then it became a corporate nightmare, but the benefits were great.

Then came Samsung. Nothing at all redeeming about that. Took the job because I was about to start collecting unemployment after being laid off at the previous place. Should have just taken the unemployment.

Went to a work from home tech support role.. Now working on programming and support of Point of Sale systems. Highest money i've ever made, but it's pretty stressful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment