Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 08:36 AM
Z1D Z1D started this thread

12 posts, read 12,804 times

Advertisements

The interesting thing about this role is:

a.) I have more than 26 years of experience, and much of that in areas where these new team members lack.
b.) Proving? I have proven myself --- for the past 26 years of my career. My gripe is: Do you ask new employees to do that? Do you ask them to work for free for 6 months without pay to decided whether or not they are good enough? Maybe an intern, but not an experience professional.
c.) All the accounting is under my "technically" old boss.
d.) Interesting how nobody in top leadership is expected to take a title/pay cut in their "developmental" role. To me, "developmental" seems to be a legal way for HR and the department to abuse others.
e.) I've proven to have more experience than my boss --- very young, and before proceeding on major initiatives, he came to our team --- got our knowledge --- passed it off as his own. Now, he won an award for doing a great job (no credit given to his team whom he (and we have proof) passed our ideas off as his own. It is unethical and from an integrity standpoint, I find it disgusting
f.) Personally, I believe him initiating my move is a way for him to get rid of a "threat" --- me.

and last, but not least ...

g.) I've interviewed for two roles recently (still in the running) and each interviewer asked: Why are you in this role when you are clearly overqualified?

The problem is that when I took the role, the company was in a merge and all titles were terribly misaligned. To date, some have been aligned, others have not. I'm in the latter (with my team). Never, ever have I been the type of person to say something isn't in my job description or refrain simply on title. That is not the point. However, you cannot expect a workforce to be engaged when a company clearly doesn't value people. My young boss hit the lottery in a merger: Had a nothing job and was asked to assume a leadership role. He was not asked to perform in a "developmental" role. If he cared so little about title, how would he have felt if they kept his old title?

He continues to say title doesn't mean anything. Really? Well, I beg to differ with anyone on that topic. Title is everything because when you are in the market looking for a job and seeking new leadership opportunities, your title sells you --- hands down. It is the make or break of getting through an Applicant Tracking System (ATS). The responsibilities do not matter --- you cannot sell that on a resume with a dismal title. Don't believe me? Look at how recruiters use LinkedIn. I've been lucky to have the two interviews (recently) that I've had.

No ... time for the company to step up to the plate and stop this developmental role mirage (they do this all the time) and act with integrity. This is why their attrition is high.

Last edited by Z1D; 08-02-2014 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 09:07 AM

1,274 posts, read 978,872 times
Time for a move, it will be for the best for all parties. I believe you for the titles, they also translate a certain recognition and a pay grade (not necessarily, but anyone outside the organization cannot guess that).

Old 08-02-2014, 10:02 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Gather contact information for those who you would use for references and keep that at home.

Start a search for a new job (from home) and start applying.

If your employer already has a turnover problem think about where your former co-workers went and contact them if possible. The value of this is that, in effect, you can do a reference check on potential employers and they may give you a heads up on opportunities.

The only thing that may be 'illegal' is if your current employer does this more often to women or minorities. If you think that could be the case and they are a Federal contractor or sub-contractor give OFCCP a heads-up, but after the first day on your next job.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Z1D Z1D started this thread

12 posts, read 12,804 times
Nell ...

Great advice. Yes, they are both of those things and sadly, it is what you say. Even more sad, it's a Fortune 250.

Thank you to everyone. You are all very kind.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:15 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Fortune 250, they are subject to Executive Order 11246. During an audit they would not know that the position data is not accurate. If you give them a heads up provide specific examples and have them ask about 'developmental' assignments. Likely the employer will try to paint them as a positive, OFCCP should learn of the long term nature of those assignments, the lack of a written program to measure success and the failure to promote the 'participants'. I've worked both sides of that table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment