Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2014, 11:34 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,096,767 times

Advertisements

What I finally realized about interviews is it is all about selling yourself in a short time frame. You may look on paper but if that can't translate to a live interview you can blow it. I know from personal experiences. The whole interview game is just that a game where you have to impress them with the skills and show a good personality that can work well with others. I'm not a big fan of behavioral based interviewing but I have realized this is how the current game works and I'm sure it will change again in the near future. Its all about impressing them. I wonder if a hidden camera of these potential interviews to offer constructive criticism would be beneficial for the interviewee. I do wonder what has happened to people in my generation and younger who just don't seem to get how to interview and prepare and dress right for job interviews. It is all about preparedness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 11:44 AM
mzd

419 posts, read 886,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Typing errors are one thing, but someone uses an expression like "looser", (which isn't even a word) (...).
I think "looser" is indeed a word, as in "I need to leave this knot looser."
But I agree with you, I hate to see a mix-up between "you're/your", "it's/its", etc. If I were hiring, those things would certainly enter my decision to extend an offer or not.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:58 AM

863 posts, read 795,334 times
Quote:
There's been quite a bit of smugness in the replies from those who claim to interview prospective employees. I don't have much respect for a manager who hasn't taken the time to read someone's resume before meeting the candidate for the first time, nor do I have much for those who criticize the color of someone's suit, when their own responses on this thread are riddled with grammatical errors and inappropriate uses of words. Typing errors are one thing, but someone uses an expression like "looser", (which isn't even a word), doesn't know how to use quotation marks, or even basic punctuation, I'd have to question THEIR ability to pass judgement on someone else.
Really? Where and how did I come across as smug? I read every application that comes across my desk, sometimes hundreds for the same position. What you read on that paper may or may not be true. If you're not reading the resume how can you possible narrow the field down?

I never criticized anyone, so not sure why your lumping me in with this group. However, you show up late for an interview and that tells me all I need to know about your professionalism. It also tells me that you will be late for work, important meetings and other events. Life happens, but common courtesy says that you let someone know when your going to be late.

I guess my poor punctuation in this instance was a good reminder, that the next time I see a misspelled word, bad grammar, capitalization and other errors on a resume, straight to the trash it goes, regardless of the qualifications.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:12 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
There's been quite a bit of smugness in the replies from those who claim to interview prospective employees. I don't have much respect for a manager who hasn't taken the time to read someone's resume before meeting the candidate for the first time, nor do I have much for those who criticize the color of someone's suit, when their own responses on this thread are riddled with grammatical errors and inappropriate uses of words. Typing errors are one thing, but someone uses an expression like "looser", (which isn't even a word), doesn't know how to use quotation marks, or even basic punctuation, I'd have to question THEIR ability to pass judgement on someone else.

I understand. But, in my opinion, it makes you look worse to do this. Yes, we see posts all the time where people talk about having 'common since' or say something is 'rediculous' or 'on accident' and let's not forget my personal favorite - 'anyways'. But we can interpret the meaning behind the words so why single someone out in front of a crowd? Maybe they do everything else really well but get this one thing wrong. Maybe it's nothing more than a typo - like 'Roger Park' was for you.

I wouldn't ordinarily bring this up but looser is a word. "Even my shoes feel looser now that I've lost weight." But I know what you were intending - people use it in place of loser all the time.

See how easy it is to make a mistake even with a college education?

Old 08-03-2014, 12:14 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Really? Where and how did I come across as smug? I read every application that comes across my desk, sometimes hundreds for the same position. What you read on that paper may or may not be true. If you're not reading the resume how can you possible narrow the field down?

I never criticized anyone, so not sure why your lumping me in with this group. However, you show up late for an interview and that tells me all I need to know about your professionalism. It also tells me that you will be late for work, important meetings and other events. Life happens, but common courtesy says that you let someone know when your going to be late.

I guess my poor punctuation in this instance was a good reminder, that the next time I see a misspelled word, bad grammar, capitalization and other errors on a resume, straight to the trash it goes, regardless of the qualifications.
My response wasn't directed at you--sorry for the confusion.

One error is certainly excusable, especially when it's clear ( notice how "it's" is used here, and not "its") that typing is the reason for the miscue. You'd be more apt to look for a pattern, when there are ( again, not "their" ) repeated instances of errors. You can tell when someone truly understands how to present themselves using the written word, and when someone really can't..

Old 08-03-2014, 12:15 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
One of my friends from college is a petroleum engineer and makes north of $300k at this point in his career.

However, if you judged him solely on his Facebook posts you'd be forgiven for thinking he had a double-digit IQ. He's always been that way. I think he's dyslexic. He's certainly not stupid. They don't hand out petroleum engineering degrees at UT-Austin to dumbasses.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:21 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
One of my friends from college is a petroleum engineer and makes north of $300k at this point in his career.

However, if you judged him solely on his Facebook posts you'd be forgiven for thinking he had a double-digit IQ. He's always been that way. I think he's dyslexic. He's certainly not stupid. They don't hand out petroleum engineering degrees at UT-Austin to dumbasses.

Thank you! I didn't even consider that some might have learning challenges, but great point.

Some of the top CEO's in the country have learning challenges. One (can't recall who) suggested that because he had to think outside the box growing up, it helped him do the same in business.

Some people who cannot spell or speak properly will be eliminated from getting certain jobs, to be sure. But this is a forum. As much of a stickler as I can be, I make mistakes all the time here because I'm just not as careful. It's not business.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:25 PM

10 posts, read 15,918 times
I've found that the best thing to do in interviews is not talk a lot. Just look presentable, give short answers and don't flinch. Answer with a simple "yes" or "no" whenever possible.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:31 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Thank you! I didn't even consider that some might have learning challenges, but great point.

Some of the top CEO's in the country have learning challenges. One (can't recall who) suggested that because he had to think outside the box growing up, it helped him do the same in business.

Some people who cannot spell or speak properly will be eliminated from getting certain jobs, to be sure. But this is a forum. As much of a stickler as I can be, I make mistakes all the time here because I'm just not as careful. It's not business.
Yup...I try not to judge my coworkers on the quality of their written English but on the quality of their work. I struggle with that sometimes. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

My college friend's written English is abysmal (he's a native speaker too) but his resume is flawless. I helped him edit it way back when we were in college. He's been with the same company since graduating so he hasn't had to update it.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:39 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
Quote:
I understand. But, in my opinion, it makes you look worse to do this. Yes, we see posts all the time where people talk about having 'common since' or say something is 'rediculous' or 'on accident' and let's not forget my personal favorite - 'anyways'. But we can interpret the meaning behind the words so why single someone out in front of a crowd? Maybe they do everything else really well but get this one thing wrong. Maybe it's nothing more than a typo - like 'Roger Park' was for you.

I wouldn't ordinarily bring this up but looser is a word. "Even my shoes feel looser now that I've lost weight." But I know what you were intending - people use it in place of loser all the time.

Understood. Actually, if someone used a spelling like "rediculous", but was otherwise pleasant, and trying to be helpful ( especially on CD), I wouldn't say a word about it, as it would be somewhat inappropriate, and not very nice. But if there's condescension, or mean-spiritedness involved, then all bets are off..

All this reminds me of an old axiom about journalism that I came across many years ago:

"To comfort the afflicted, and afflict the comfortable"

The employment scales of today are heavily weighted against the employee, or the underdog, so I think this statement is very applicable, and appropriate, today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment