Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 06:39 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
You don't have to own a corporation or have loyalties to any specific corporation.

The fact that you defend what's an abuse of power by employers (to turn away a perfectly good candidate simply because you didn't like that they yawned) reveals your bias.
You have no clue what an abuse of power by an employer is if you think not hiring a candidate because they yawned falls under that category.

What else do you think is an abuse of power? Telling you that you can't have a snack and your juicebox except during break?

This is merely grasping at straws to criticize people who will not hire you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 06:47 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You have no clue what an abuse of power by an employer is if you think not hiring a candidate because they yawned falls under that category.

What else do you think is an abuse of power? Telling you that you can't have a snack and your juicebox except during break?

This is merely grasping at straws to criticize people who will not hire you.
Did you forget to take your Metamucil? You seem more cranky than usual today...

Old 08-04-2014, 07:48 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
There is no jumping any where. The reason does not matter. Yawning incessently conveys something is wrong because it's not appropriate for an interview as well as a number of other instances. If you don't have the good sense to keep it to yourself then I don't why you would take issue with someone equally reacting to the display.
No it doesn't. Not until you ask the question why. Maybe he suffers from migraines. Maybe he suffers from insomnia. Maybe he works nights until he finds a better position. None of these disqualifies the candidate from being employed.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:49 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
I once had an interview and the interviewer brought her boss into meet with me and join the interview. Her boss came in wearing jeans and an inappropriate top; had her cell phone in her hand was texting while I was answering questions; and just got up in the middle of me talking walking out of the room looking at her phone texting. Never came back.

My opinion of that company changed that very moment and I couldn't wait to end the interview. I also felt second hand embarrassment for the interviewer who invited her boss in as her boss was disrespectful to both of us.

I was like...WOW... I have seen it all now. Clearly professional works both ways and employers should not think thy are exempt from the rules just because RIGHT NOW the trend is in their favor. Rude is rude and it doesn't matter what side of the interview you are on.
That's why I said up thread that it goes in either direction. It's your perogitive to get turned off by the unprofessionalism and you don't owe that company your allegiance. If a potential employer turns you off then they lose the opportunity to hire you. If you turn a potential employer off then you lose the opportunity to be employed by them. Simple enough. I don't know why some think it needs to be any other way.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
You don't have to own a corporation or have loyalties to any specific corporation.

The fact that you defend what's an abuse of power by employers (to turn away a perfectly good candidate simply because you didn't like that they yawned) reveals your bias.
I have not seen any examples offered by you as an abuse of power. I see you offer up irrational examples that are pretty much nonsense. And a perfectly good candidate would not be yawning in an interviewers face. If people here cannot understand this simple manner of disrespect then it's no wonder folk are un or underemployed.

I wouldn't put up with a friend, or even my husband, yawning in my ear as I spoke. I certainly wouldn't put up with it from a potential hire (housekeeper, electrician, or even a potential at the co I work for).

I am pro-personal responsibility. I think we empower ourselves. I do not think we should be dependents on any corporation. You, OTOH, appear to believe that you are entitled something by corporate entities. I do not understand that point of view or where it was learned by many here.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:57 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

- It's Friday and still no acknowledgement of the interview. No thank-you note. Not even an e-mail.

Mind you, this was an extreme case, but it illustrates something that I've noticed a good deal: The people in life who I've heard complain the most about their lack of upward mobility in the professional world also tend to be the same people who don't take care of the little things in how they present themselves.
A thank you note after an interview? Never heard of such, but you better believe I'm gonna write them this week. I have an interview for a job I really want.

Thanks cpg35223!

Old 08-04-2014, 07:57 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
No it doesn't. Not until you ask the question why. Maybe he suffers from migraines. Maybe he suffers from insomnia. Maybe he works nights until he finds a better position. None of these disqualifies the candidate from being employed.
If it were me and I suffered from Migraines (which I do and they don't make you yawn) I would TELL the interviewer that. This guy just said he hadn't had much sleep.

Suffering from chronic insomnia however is a completely valid reason not to hire someone, as that person is not going to be as sharp as someone who sleeps well.

If you owned your own business, wouldn't you want the person who's sharp, alert and on the ball to work for you?? If there is a huge choice of equally qualified candidates, which is usually the case nowadays, why on earth would anyone hire the candidate who is disrespectful enough to yawn while they're talking to him??

I don't hire people myself, but I date, and if I dated a guy who yawned repeatedly during the date, I wouldn't want to date him again, no different.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
Says who, you? Oh, so you think I should hire the guy half asleep to clean my roof (I'm in the market)? I should ask him why he's so tired as if it matters for the job. That is beyond ridiculous. No matter that he might fall off due to being so tired and then sue me. Why in the world do you think this guy's problem should be anybody else's problem I do not know.

I have a 15 month old at home. I never sleep. It's just a fact of my life. I cannot hide the bags under my eyes, but I do not yawn at people talking to me. I keep it together.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:04 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Did you forget to take your Metamucil? You seem more cranky than usual today...

Of course you go on the attack instead of addressing my post.

You have no clue about what is meant by abuse of power. It's ridiculous.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:13 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If it were me and I suffered from Migraines (which I do and they don't make you yawn) I would TELL the interviewer that. This guy just said he hadn't had much sleep.

Suffering from chronic insomnia however is a completely valid reason not to hire someone, as that person is not going to be as sharp as someone who sleeps well.

If you owned your own business, wouldn't you want the person who's sharp, alert and on the ball to work for you?? If there is a huge choice of equally qualified candidates, which is usually the case nowadays, why on earth would anyone hire the candidate who is disrespectful enough to yawn while they're talking to him??
I suffer from migraines as well and many times I spent nights wide awake due to the pain. You see nothing wrong with punishing someone for a pretty much uncontrollable medical condition such as insomnia? Only if you are arrogant and self absorbed do you think of yawning as a sign of disrespect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment