Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 11:42 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
All this guy is doing is telling you what interviewers think...why try to argue whether it's right or not, how will that help anyone get a job? I think it's invaluable for employers to come to a Work and Employment forum and share their perspective. Whether anyone thinks the "rule" are silly, if the fact is at least some employers consider it important, why not just use the advice whether you agree with it or not? Isn't getting a job more important than being "right"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 11:53 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Sure, it's a good idea to have an extra copy of your resume with you, but if you should run into a situation where someone charged with giving an interview does not have all the previously sent information on hand an applicant should certainly be asking himself what kind of half-assed organization he has applied to and why would he want to work there.
Your expectations are unreasonable. What if the person assigned to handle your paperwork is sick? Or maybe the original person quit. Or maybe they changed the list of interviewers for you? Maybe this company is like a startup and doesn't pay much attention to these kind of details? But it could be the job of your life - so deal with it.

The simple answer is that YOU should be prepared for kinks in the process. Don't be a baby and expect the red carpet for you.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:59 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,566 times
It's clear a lot of people just don't have a clue how they come across to others, and probably don't care or make excuses and blame everyone but themselves. I also think that the more competitive the job, the finer the nuances get, and the harder it is to be that perfect person they want. I'm definitely not clueless, but someone who is being incredibly picky could certainly find reasons not to hire me - heck, recently I was shocked when I was told I wasn't even qualified to be interviewed for a job I thought I was perfect for. Obviously I did something wrong, but I know it wasn't something painfully obvious.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:37 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,999,675 times
It is my understanding that you should always dress at least one "level" up from how you'd be expected to dress, if hired.

In other words, if you're interviewing for a job that requires jeans and sneakers, dress business casual for the interview (at least). If you are interviewing for a job requiring business casual, you should dress business formal...suit and tie.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
It is my understanding that you should always dress at least one "level" up from how you'd be expected to dress, if hired.

In other words, if you're interviewing for a job that requires jeans and sneakers, dress business casual for the interview (at least). If you are interviewing for a job requiring business casual, you should dress business formal...suit and tie.
There are no absolutes, but this is a good rule of thumb. It won't get you into trouble to look a little better than required. I do not think it is a material advantage to wear a suit interviewing for a retail position at Target.

In my business (software) there is almost never a position where a suit is the right choice. Maybe a few executive positions. Those are usually filled with the help of a recruiter hired specifically for that position - and they will advise the candidate exactly what is best.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:24 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Your expectations are unreasonable. What if the person assigned to handle your paperwork is sick? Or maybe the original person quit. Or maybe they changed the list of interviewers for you? Maybe this company is like a startup and doesn't pay much attention to these kind of details? But it could be the job of your life - so deal with it.

The simple answer is that YOU should be prepared for kinks in the process. Don't be a baby and expect the red carpet for you.
I agree. My printer does not print professional-quality resumes so at the beginning of any job hunt I go to a copy place and have about 20 copies printed and stash them in a leather folio that I carry to every interview. I usually end up shredding almost all of them at the end of my job hunt.

Quote:
There are no absolutes, but this is a good rule of thumb. It won't get you into trouble to look a little better than required. I do not think it is a material advantage to wear a suit interviewing for a retail position at Target.

In my business (software) there is almost never a position where a suit is the right choice. Maybe a few executive positions. Those are usually filled with the help of a recruiter hired specifically for that position - and they will advise the candidate exactly what is best.
Hmmm...I'm in IT also (non-manager), and I always check with the recruiter/headhunter who scheduled the interview as to the dress code. 9/10 times, I'm told "business formal." If they say they don't know, then it's business formal by default. The job I just accepted was business casual which is unusual, but I only dressed in khakis and a button-down because I was explicitly instructed during the phone interview with the hiring manager to NOT wear business formal attire. As in "Don't you dare show up in a suit or high heels."

Old 08-02-2014, 07:38 PM

"Software" is not necessarily the same as IT. I meant software for profit (vendor) where things tend to be extremely casual. A software developer or tester would look silly in business formal for an interview.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:52 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
Why yes, yes I do. I think explaining the middle-upper management mentality in a paragraph is comfortably in the 99th percentile of insightfulness for this message board. Thanks for asking.
Talk about smug

Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
Interviews predict almost nothing about job performance. But of course, that won't stop you from embarking on your smug power trip. Carry on.
Son, I'm not smug, I'm confident.

You are right about interviews, but do you have a better way to sort through a couple hundred applicants?

Old 08-02-2014, 07:59 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
"Software" is not necessarily the same as IT. I meant software for profit (vendor) where things tend to be extremely casual. A software developer or tester would look silly in business formal for an interview.
I was in QA for 7 years and have been in SQL Server development for 9. Easier to say "IT" to laypeople.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:21 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Sure, it's a good idea to have an extra copy of your resume with you, but if you should run into a situation where someone charged with giving an interview does not have all the previously sent information on hand an applicant should certainly be asking himself what kind of half-assed organization he has applied to and why would he want to work there.
It's definitely in a candidate's best interest to bring several copies along. Especially if s/he's being interviewed by teams in all day interviews. There is bound to be a few people who are either too busy, or simply forget, to bring a copy to the interview. Keep in mind that these interviews get scheduled into peoples busy schedules and the interview is not always at the top of the priority list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment