Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 04:57 PM

3 posts, read 12,867 times

Advertisements

I like my current job, I make my own schedule, my family is well taken care for, I like my boss, come and go as I please. Been in the same position for 6 years. It is as stable as a job can get. There is no room to grow any further. I started dipping my toes in the career boards. I have an offer that pays less on the front end but more if I succeed. I was really excited at first and had all of the intentions of taking it. Now I am thinking of declining. I can make more money, grow my career, learn some new things. However, I keep second guessing and get the feeling of dread for taking a risk of a new job and leaving a stable job. Also, I have a young family. Am I being complacent or is it just normal to be nervous like this when leaving a job for another company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 05:46 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,138 times
I guess I don't see why you would leave your current position. You already have the golden ticket: a job you like, where you like the people you work with, you have flexibility, you are well compensated, and you don't fear being let go. No reason to look elsewhere--you already found it! Of course there is always something just over that next hill, but wisdom is knowing when to quit walking.

It is hard to let go of the mentality of the "next level." Elementary school follows kindergarten. Middle school follows elementary. High school follows middle school. College follows high school. Career follows college. And then? Bam. You are there. There is no "next level." (Well, aside from retirement.) There is societal pressure to replicate that same system by climbing the ladder at the workplace. But life isn't a video game where you get points for "leveling up." You aren't being graded on your progress. You found your niche--why would you throw that away to conform to some arbitrary ideal about career progression? Who are you trying to please?

If the new job legitimately interests you more than your current position, go for it! New challenges can be exhilarating! But if you are only thinking of making the move because you are "supposed to" be moving up, forget about it and go back to doing what you are already excelling at.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:51 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Coming and going as you please when you have young kids at home is HUGE. If you take this new job with the potential to make more money if you succeed, then be prepared to work over time (which you may already be doing) and possibly missing school and sporting events your kids may be in. Less family time during the week. Possibly fewer family dinners.

Most of the things you have in place are things people are complaining they don't have. Don't upset the apple cart. Assume this is a six year itch you'll get through.

On the other hand, I've been in jobs where there was no advancement and I thought of ways to grow the position. If that's possible I'd definitely go that route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment