Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 09:49 AM

128 posts, read 222,911 times

Advertisements

I live in Seattle and I am interested in looking into the possibility of becoming a police officer. However, I have a couple DUI's and a Misdemeanor on my record. I don't believe I would be able to become a cop here in Seattle but maybe there are other cities out there that are more lenient towards your record and past. I would have to think that a city like Baltimore for example would be more desperate to hire cops and would be more lenient towards your record based on them having a higher crime rate.

Do any of you who are knowledgeable about law enforcement have any advice for me? I was just curious about becoming a cop but am concerned that my past mistakes will keep me from having any chance of ever becoming a cop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 10:12 AM

741 posts, read 914,392 times
It's a department by department policy with the answer strongly inclining towards no.
How departments handle things like expungements, etc is again a department by department thing but again, for serious offenses, the answer will trend no.

I read something in Dear Abby many years ago about a guy who actually did time in Federal prison, got a Presidential pardon and became a cop but I have a feeling that was a 'back in the day' sort of thing and wouldn't ever happen now.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:25 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times
In an city like Baltimore, a cop is a great-paying job, starting at around $50,000 a year with potential to reach $100,000 or more with great benefits, a union, and a pension with fully paid healthcare after 20 or 25 years, and I think they are desirable jobs even with the danger factor. Not even counting the perks of free meals and being able to attract a lot of women. I think you'd have a better chance in a very low population area, South Dakota or someplace like that where there aren't enough people applying. I would think a big city will have far more candidates than jobs, especially now when cities are broke and under pressure to cut their budgets and cops are even being laid off in some cases.
Here in NJ, the state dismantled Camden's police force (very poor area and several times had the honor of murder capital of the U.S.) and replaced it with a county force to save money. A "couple" DUI's probably will make it quite difficult. Of course it also depends on your other qualifications, how long ago they were, did you go through rehab, things like that.

Can I Become a Police Officer with a DWI or a DUI?

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 08-02-2014 at 11:26 AM..

Old 08-02-2014, 10:27 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrockettandTubbs View Post
I live in Seattle and I am interested in looking into the possibility of becoming a police officer. However, I have a couple DUI's and a Misdemeanor on my record. I don't believe I would be able to become a cop here in Seattle but maybe there are other cities out there that are more lenient towards your record and past. I would have to think that a city like Baltimore for example would be more desperate to hire cops and would be more lenient towards your record based on them having a higher crime rate.

Do any of you who are knowledgeable about law enforcement have any advice for me? I was just curious about becoming a cop but am concerned that my past mistakes will keep me from having any chance of ever becoming a cop.

Unfortunately you did it backwards. You should have become a cop first than drove drunk, you would have gotten a ride home, and even if you injured someone your cop friends would have covered it for you.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:31 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
It's hard to get jobs as police officers because the competition is rather stiff. Someone in another forum here told me that even though jobs are listed on village and town websites, there are seldom job openings in the department.

Your record is going to make it almost impossible to get a job, given the competition. Nobody is going to risk hiring someone who may have another lapse of judgement, putting a black eye on the whole department. One DUI is bad enough, but two is inexcusable. Plus a misdemeanor. You can sometimes explain one issue, but not three.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:47 AM

832 posts, read 1,417,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrockettandTubbs View Post

How long ago were your "mistakes"?

What steps did you take to overcome them?

What was going on in your life at the time you made the "mistakes"?

What were the charges and what were you found guilty of and what did you plea down to?

Exactly how many "mistakes" did you make?

What other "mistakes" did you make that did not involve alcohol?

These things are important and will have a significant impact.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:07 AM

519 posts, read 776,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Unfortunately you did it backwards. You should have become a cop first than drove drunk, you would have gotten a ride home, and even if you injured someone your cop friends would have covered it for you.
Uh, maybe in small town nowhere or once in a blue moon. Where I'm from cops caught driving drunk are suspended without pay by the department and usually fired afterwards. Everyone hates crooked cops, and cops breaking the law aren't looked upon favorably by the overwhelming majority of other cops. Your view is such a rare stereotype.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:18 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
How long ago were your "mistakes"?

What steps did you take to overcome them?

What was going on in your life at the time you made the "mistakes"?

What were the charges and what were you found guilty of and what did you plea down to?

Exactly how many "mistakes" did you make?

What other "mistakes" did you make that did not involve alcohol?

These things are important and will have a significant impact.
Yes, and be very certain they are going to ask you these questions, OP.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:29 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepheyr View Post
Uh, maybe in small town nowhere or once in a blue moon. Where I'm from cops caught driving drunk are suspended without pay by the department and usually fired afterwards. Everyone hates crooked cops, and cops breaking the law aren't looked upon favorably by the overwhelming majority of other cops. Your view is such a rare stereotype.

Sorry, not small town. Try Suffolk County, NY( suburbs of NYC). It has happened more than once where the "officer" is given a ride home.

Apparently you're not aware of the "Blue Code of Silence".

It is not rare at all.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:00 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sorry, not small town. Try Suffolk County, NY( suburbs of NYC). It has happened more than once where the "officer" is given a ride home.

Apparently you're not aware of the "Blue Code of Silence".

It is not rare at all.

Yes, in those instances someone who has been on the force for some time becomes part of the boys club and as such is protected by the others. That doesn't mean anyone would hire someone with problems going in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment