Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 10:32 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,975,625 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't say or do anything. Management is aware, so just stay out of it. If it bothers you, it's because you may be jealous. He obviously is favored by your superiors and has a great situation. Stop worrying about what's right and fair....

Personally, I would work on being his ally, since he is probably going to be fast tracked into management. Don't be surprised if he ends up being your boss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 10:40 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,348,287 times
I actually never dealt with this in large city USA, but up here in western Canada we have such a small population you're always running into the crowd that failed high school together, learned their social skills "gigging" in a band, and their business skills selling street drugs. It's so bad that in a field like const. I quietly find out right away who is related to who, and who went to school together. Even my own brother tried to play that card on me, and I put a stop to it right away. It would have been noticed. This infects every safety strategy and even over-looked theft on job sites.

But the World of Warcraft all day guy has an argument. If I stopped for a coffee every time some workmate took a smoke break I'd never get anything done. Managers need to people manage and that's never gone out of style.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:42 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,477,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
I actually never dealt with this in large city USA, but up here in western Canada we have such a small population you're always running into the crowd that failed high school together, learned their social skills "gigging" in a band, and their business skills selling street drugs. It's so bad that in a field like const. I quietly find out right away who is related to who, and who went to school together. Even my own brother tried to play that card on me, and I put a stop to it right away. It would have been noticed. This infects every safety strategy and even over-looked theft on job sites.

But the World of Warcraft all day guy has an argument. If I stopped for a coffee every time some workmate took a smoke break I'd never get anything done. Managers need to people manage and that's never gone out of style.
Vancouver, I take it?

Old 08-03-2014, 10:53 AM

10,997 posts, read 9,632,795 times
OP, You mention the times that the employee is working (or rather NT working), but you do not mention the volume or productivity of the employee. Is your work based upon production, or is it more based upon time? Some people can accomplish in 4 hours what others require 8 hours to do. Is this other employee's work completed in a timely fashion and is it up to standards? That is what matters. I have worked in places where the time of arrival was important, such as when you are relieving another person who cannot leave until you are on the job, and other places where time of arrival is immaterial to completing the work. I have also worked for bosses who were sticklers for time to one person, while allowing another to come and go at will. It often has to do with the boss' perception of the individuals' work ethic. My former boss, a retired Chief Master Sargent in the USAF, would keep tabs on some of my co-workers daily, while allowing me to set my own schedule based upon the fact that he knew my work was always complete and that he had seen me voluntarily working late to complete projects when needed without being told to. There is something about your co-worker, that perhaps you do not see, allowing the boss to be comfortable with his work schedule. Is it right? I don't know...but if you complain you will be viewed as a trouble maker. I would say you should make sure your own work is complete and high quality and not worry about the other guy unless his absence is affecting the workflow or response times in your unit. If it is affecting the workflow or production, that is what should be addressed, not "why does he get to leave early and I don't?"

Old 08-03-2014, 11:08 AM

532 posts, read 955,653 times
[quote=joe from dayton;35922426]Is it a salaried position? Try it and see what happens. I'd throw it back in the manager's face and say "X comes in late, leaves early, and takes long lunches, so it apparently is not a violation of any policy or you (manager) would have dealt with it by now, right?[/quote]

Do not do this. My last company we had one of these, she could come in late, leave early, bring her kids to work!, she would sit in the boss's office for long periods of time while they just chatted about their kids, what they did over the weekend, etc. She would eat her lunch at her desk and then take off for an hour and no one said a word.

One day the rest of her department (about 4 of us) went to talk to the manager about this, basically we were told since it didn't impact our work, it was none of our business.

Plus she had a pal who also worked in the same department and she also could get away with anything she wanted to, she was going back to school and brought in her homework to do at her desk.

None of us had a laptop to take home and work from, and none of us had a job where we could work from home. Yes, she had work to do, but if she can get away with doing her homework, she was going to (she would also pay her bills at work, and write out her Christmas cards, in addition to spending HOURS surfing the internet.

One day I had had it, I couldn't use the printer for work related items (invoices) because she was printing out Christmas recipes, so I went to my boss and without mentioning names, I tried to tell her what was going on, she pushed back immediately, so I knew that had been a huge mistake and a few months later *I* was laid off.

I did keep in touch with that one employee though, and one day we met for lunch, she told me that although she had given her 2 weeks notice, her boss told her she was making way too many mistakes and was seen spending too much time on the Internet and they suggested she leave at the end of the week!

Really -- gee, maybe they should have listened to me.

In the end, she got what she had coming to her and the other one who sat in the boss's office talking and took 2 lunches, well corporate finally caught on and fired her butt!

Unless this impacts your job, don't do anything.

Now I have a job where I can and do tell the boss who is late, and who isn't working!!!!!

Old 08-03-2014, 11:18 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,025,586 times
The first thing I would do is let go of any ideas to turn him in. There is no such thing as an anonymous email, SOMEONE will know where it came from. Read through these forums and you will see the littered bodies of people and their careers where they went to the boss about someone and it backfired. there is no good outcome. As you said, just worry about yourself was the best advice.

If hes on salary, many companies let people have tremendous freedom to come and go. A little less today, a little more next week. As others mentioned, maybe hes doing something at home or away from the office. While the job may not require it, you never know what special project his boss may have him on. Lastly, many managers will let that slide if hes meeting the expectations of his job. If worker A puts in 45 hours a week to get his quota of work and worked B puts in 35 to get the same quota done, what is wrong with it? Worker B has found ways to work smarter or is simply more efficient. I would add that he may also be passing up an opportunity for promotion. So while you don't see discipline, it may be more passive in that the manager will let this slide, but the guy will never get promoted because of it.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:22 PM

477 posts, read 506,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
The first thing I would do is let go of any ideas to turn him in. There is no such thing as an anonymous email, SOMEONE will know where it came from.
That isn't really true. Many municipalities and libraries have internet access - that you don't even have to sign in to, or wireless hotspots, where you can make yourself a fake hotmail account and use that to send the e-mail.

Sure, there are ways to trace that back to your laptop - but unless its a big-time criminal case, nobody is going to do that or be allowed to do that. (It involves confiscating your laptop or phone to check for traces).

Just don't do it from a "real" account.

That said, it isn't going to get you anything. I've been through this sort of thing myself. I was working at a place once as a "temp" where there was also a woman who was working at the same job part-time. There was a full time position opening up. I had 0% errors most weeks and under 1% at worst. My productivity was the highest in the department. Everybody knew that and nobody had any problems with me - except Ms. part-timer who had the WORST productivity, routinely shoved anything she didn't want to do (because it was "too hard") off on other people, even things she had been SPECIFICALLY given to do herself, and the highest error rate in the department. She was bitchy and weird - she repeatedly gave us graphic descriptions of the bodily functions that occurred as her mother died - but she was tight with the supervisor, and I mean TIGHT. She was so threatened by me that she even went to the supervisor and LIED to her about me allegedly using profanity to her. EVERYBODY in the department knew it was a lie, but the supervisor wouldn't believe anyone else. (I HEARD her arguing about it with one of the other supervisors who was standing up for me).

I didn't get the full time position. The incompetent suck-up got the full time position. Later I heard that there had been a lot of trouble over productivity in that department and it was in danger of being folded in to another department because of it.

Well yeah. That's what happens when you hire toadies instead of competent people, LOL!

But - in the long run - it won't do you any good to go to the boss about it, because trust me, the boss already KNOWS it isn't fair. He just doesn't care.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:50 PM

1,305 posts, read 1,570,315 times
I'm one of those that occasionally come in late, take long lunches, and go on errands during work time. That said, what you see often times isn't what actually is. For example, I worked for a total of 61 hours this past week.

It's not that I'm inefficient. It's that I have a lot of responsibilities and paperwork to do after everyone else finishes the day. They don't see me toiling away checking their work and sign off on their reports so people get paid after everyone has left work.

Like I said, looks can be deceiving. For example, while everyone was off this past saturday, I voluntarily went in to finish a pay estimate so our contractors can get paid on time.

People like me who work long into the night and some time weekends to keep everything going are unappreciated. People just assume we only work regular hours. Trust me, we have a lot more responsibilities than everyone else.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:29 PM

53 posts, read 67,793 times
One of my coworker comes in at 10 AM and leaves at 5:30 PM with a 1:30 hour lunch. She calls in sick 3 to 4 times a month. She has been in the company for 25 years and most managers were once her friend and they can't imagine letting her go or confront her behaviors. When she is at work, she ******* and complains about everything to the point that many people don't want to work with her. The crazy thing is that she thinks she is the only one working. I completely ignore her now like she doesn't exist eventhough we work in the same department. Her behaviors have affected other employees and now absentism is a real problem in our group. Last year I complained and my Manager knows it but he chose to ignore what is happening.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:46 PM

957 posts, read 1,125,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
I work for a fairly decent sized company, over 500 employees. My dept has 13 employees, 5 of which are in a leadership role (manager, supervisor, lead), who are all buddies. The managers and supervisors grew up in the same area and are all in their mid 40s (all male).

Every single person in our group comes in at the same time and leaves at the same time. We all have scheduled lunches and take whatever amount we have (1/2 hour or 1 hour, depending on which you prefer). All except one guy I'll refer to as "frat boy". He's a 30 yr old educated college kid. The only conversation I ever hear him and the manager have is about the latest whiskey, what they drank over the weekend, etc.

This employee works in my small group of three of us. He shows up anywhere between 7:30 am-8:30 am and normally leaves at 3:30 pm. His lunch goes anywhere from 1/2 hour to close to 2 hours (two 1 1/2 hour lunches just last week). Management sees that he's gone, but does nothing about it. They watch him walk out at 3:30, again look the other way.

Yes, worry about myself. I get it, but at the same time, I'm all about fairness. Can I take a 2 hour lunch? No. Can I show up an hour late and work an hour later? No. Why is it that he can get away with it. One other coworker said the manager is living vicariously through this frat boy and refuses to BE a leader and deal with it.

I'm curious. Since this is clearly stealing from the company (e.g. working 35 hours and being paid for 40), and there is a whistle blower email address in our employee handbook, would you say something or let it continue? Again, he's in our group and he's always gone and if I can't be this unaccountable, why should he?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
I wouldn't say or do anything. Management is aware, so just stay out of it. If it bothers you, it's because you may be jealous. He obviously is favored by your superiors and has a great situation. Stop worrying about what's right and fair....
Mila, it's him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment