Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 09:31 AM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,709 times

Advertisements

Perhaps he excels at what he does. Just from observation, it seems that in many situations people who are doing well can get away with much more because their manager does not want to rock the boat with someone that is making them look good.

Also, if he is able to do what he is supposed to do and able to have a flexible schedule, good for him. Many times managers can't afford to be flexible with people because inevitably someone will complain. Unless it is impacting you personally I would say good for him and carry on with your business. It may not be fair, but why bring someone down for having being allowed to do things you are not? The company likely isn't going to let everyone do that, so all your complaining will do will be to ruin it for that guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 07:44 AM

217 posts, read 314,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
I'm all about fairness.
Ummm, who the hell told you life was fair?

Old 08-05-2014, 10:35 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Welcome to the corporate world. Some employees are watched like a hawk and nitpicked over every little thing and others can get away with murder. In my experience, the ones who are treated with kid gloves are not always the hardest working or most competent employees. They are suck ups.

Get used to it or try to find a way out of that kind of environment. Good luck.

I've found its all about relationships outside of work. Go to the same church, your kids are on the same soccer team, you get the idea.

But also, I've found its a lot about drugs and sex. I never used to believe such, but my years here on Planet Earth have enlightened me. For many, that's all it is, getting drunk, high, sex, etc. I don't mean long, drawn-out romances between office mates. I mean giving b-jobs in the storage room, sneaking off for a joint, whatever. Its a "good ol' boy mentality. You don't "tell" on me, I won't "tell" on you. Many people in today's society simply can't make it through a day without their smokes, drugs, whatever. They want to be surrounded by like-minded people, safety in numbers. It doesn't matter how good you are at your job, the ones who are in the "inner circle" are those who never get laid-off, get promoted, get the best schedules, positions, etc.

Just don't fall into the trap of somehow feeling inferior to those who get the favors, promotions, etc. Its NOT because they were the best candidate, its because they are into whatever floats the captain's boat.

What can one do? Not much......I'm just glad that for us, retirement is around the corner, and we're starting our own business.....

Old 08-05-2014, 11:08 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,240 times
What's it to you?

No, seriously. I'm not being glib. Does his behavior affect your ability to do your own work in any concrete way? Are you getting saddled with his responsibilities and thereby unable to keep up with your own? If yes, you should bring this up with your supervisor in a non-confrontational and non-tattling way. Just say that your department needs to reassess scheduling because you are getting stuck with the lion's share of the responsibilities over the lunch hour and/or in the afternoon. You don't have to call him out specifically--just bringing up general scheduling concerns will allow you to avoid looking like a petty tattle tale while still addressing what you want to have addressed.

If this doesn't directly affect your work, just let it go. Maybe this guy is a simply a very efficient worker. If the work is getting done, who cares how many hours he spends sitting at his desk? And if the work isn't getting done, he will eventually be let go anyway. Just remember: resentment is a poison you take hoping someone else will die.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:13 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Everything I'm saying here is assuming this is an exempt position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
All except one guy I'll refer to as "frat boy". He's a 30 yr old educated college kid. The only conversation I ever hear him and the manager have is about the latest whiskey, what they drank over the weekend, etc.
Being an amicable and relatable person can certainly help one's work experience.

Quote:
This employee works in my small group of three of us. He shows up anywhere between 7:30 am-8:30 am and normally leaves at 3:30 pm. His lunch goes anywhere from 1/2 hour to close to 2 hours (two 1 1/2 hour lunches just last week).
So if he comes in at 7:30 he's usually putting in a full 8 hours. And even when he comes in at 8:30 he's still doing an old school 9-5 type set up. There's a reason it was called 9-5, they used to count lunch!

Quote:
Management sees that he's gone, but does nothing about it. They watch him walk out at 3:30, again look the other way.
At most he's "cheating" them out of what? Like three hours a week? Maybe your management is smart enough to know they shouldn't be that petty if they are happy with the results of his work. 37 hours from a good employee is worth more than 40 from a mediocre one.

Quote:
Yes, worry about myself. I get it, but at the same time, I'm all about fairness.[] Can I take a 2 hour lunch? No. Can I show up an hour late and work an hour later? No.
How do you know you can't? Have you tried?

If you're all about fairness, then why not accept that it's fair to set your own hours and breaks as long as it's not affecting your work or the work of others. If your coworker meets or exceeds management's expectations, then how would it be fair to force him to sit at a desk for another few hours each week?

Old 08-05-2014, 12:18 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
I work in a place now w/ a small staff and certain people who've been there a while are clearly "favored." They can be rude, say what they want, come in late, look sloppy, make errors in their job, get reported by family members for rudeness, etc. and never get reprimanded or fired for any of it. If you're new, forget it, you have to walk the line, always be respectful, dress perfectly, say everything to families perfectly, etc. It was eye opening. Most places I've worked didn't have it quite so glaringly out in the open or it didn't exist to this extent. Just the way it is in some places.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:58 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I've found its all about relationships outside of work. Go to the same church, your kids are on the same soccer team, you get the idea.

But also, I've found its a lot about drugs and sex. I never used to believe such, but my years here on Planet Earth have enlightened me. For many, that's all it is, getting drunk, high, sex, etc. I don't mean long, drawn-out romances between office mates. I mean giving b-jobs in the storage room, sneaking off for a joint, whatever. Its a "good ol' boy mentality. You don't "tell" on me, I won't "tell" on you. Many people in today's society simply can't make it through a day without their smokes, drugs, whatever. They want to be surrounded by like-minded people, safety in numbers. It doesn't matter how good you are at your job, the ones who are in the "inner circle" are those who never get laid-off, get promoted, get the best schedules, positions, etc.

Just don't fall into the trap of somehow feeling inferior to those who get the favors, promotions, etc. Its NOT because they were the best candidate, its because they are into whatever floats the captain's boat.

What can one do? Not much......I'm just glad that for us, retirement is around the corner, and we're starting our own business.....
Wow. So, you're basically saying that those who succeed lack the talent to do so and those who fail are unnoticed shining stars.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:14 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

Yes, that's a good idea to start your own business. That way you can decide who you have sex with and where. Storage rooms can be so inhibiting, can't they? Well, for sex, maybe. You can still do drugs in them, if that's what you decide. It will, after all, be your company.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:28 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Well this usually only happens in non right to work states . The states that are right to work usually don't have this problem . They would simply let them go at the end of the week have seen it so many times happen and now I reside in a state that is non right to work and these ppl are so lazy and unconcerned about their jobs . Right to work states have the right idea . Non right to work states seem to encourage laziness and lackadaisical attitudes in some workers .
Possibly the least informed post ever on this forum

Old 08-05-2014, 02:29 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Let it continue. You personally have nothing to gain from sticking your head up over the wall. It's not your job to manage this guy's time.

Is it unfair? Yes.
Does it suck? Yes.
Why does it suck? Where did the OP mention the other employee's work habits affecting his/her own work? Does the OP have to do extra work because of this other person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment