Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 07:44 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It's not about being on a pedestal or adored. It's about doing what your boss asks you to do. That is your job. Your job is not to whine about what they ask you to do or to make excuses why you can't do it.
This is true. When I was in middle management there was far less confusion about this than there is today.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:45 AM

2,531 posts, read 3,096,366 times
It's better that ass-kissers stay among middle managers, where you would expect them, than among the rank-and-file. There's nothing more detestable than a worker who's a brown-noser.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:46 AM

741 posts, read 914,288 times
That's bad upper-management, most likely in a publicly traded company, where management of the business entity is dissociated from the founder. The great cancer of public companies is that they become like bureaucracies where the core mission and intent of the entity itself is eventually abandoned by the people running in favor of preserving their jobs.

Without oversight of someone who genuinely cares (ie, the founder who built it up from nothing) all companies are in danger of becoming this. The garbage Ford Motor Company was making in the 70's and 80's wouldn't have been stood for if Henry was still around. The result was a catastrophic loss of market share to Japan but during those years, all anyone cared about at Ford was getting paid $35 an hour to turn a screw or lavish management salaries for overseeing the production of an embarrassing product.

Good upper management surrounds themselves with people who agree on the core mission but aren't afraid to challenge anything they say. If you're in a company where upper management is surrounding itself with ass kissers, you're in a company that won't be around in another business cycle or two.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:47 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
It's better that ass-kissers stay among middle managers, where you would expect them, than among the rank-and-file. There's nothing more detestable than a worker who's a brown-noser.
Well, I have to agree with you on your last point.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:23 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,287 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

One of the qualities of being in management (any level) is you gotta be able to admit you were wrong at some point. A few weeks ago, one of the foremen ran into a dilemma. He asked the project manager how he should proceed. The project manager didn't know. Called me out from my office. I told them to do it a certain way based on the regulations. Later on, the project manager figured out the correct way to do it. Told me about it, so I admitted that I was wrong. Since they didn't have to do what I told them to do, I made the work as extra work and gave them extra pay for it.

On here, I see people who would rather die than admit they were wrong. I may not be pleasant to deal with at times, but at least I'll admit I was wrong when I was wrong. And people wonder why they never get promoted.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-04-2014 at 12:42 PM..

Old 08-04-2014, 09:12 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,554,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
...the REALITY of the situation.
People at work are suppose to do a particular job. Not be "sincere." Jumping on the band wagon when in management can be about promoting a vision and not just about looking like your working. If you're not in upper management you just won't understand because you won't be privy to the same information.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:30 AM

9,466 posts, read 10,793,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Being in management myself, I'll tell you this. It's not that middle management are sucking up to upper management. We respect their position.

When I tell the workers something, I expect them to do it. If I think their work quality doesn't meet the standard, I reject it. I don't expect people to like me. But I do expect them to respect my position. Just a couple weeks ago, after my several attempts at trying to get the workers to be safe, I slapped a $2500 fine on that crew. Ever since, they've been performing their work based on what I wanted right down to the T.

So, when you see people like me (who's in middle management) "suck up" to upper management, to me it's not sucking up. We respect their positions just like the bottom feeders are expected to respect ours. And when we get up there, we expect those below to respect our positions.

That's the way it works.

And regarding your accusation that middle management people add little value, let me tell you about my position. People have accused me of adding little value to the operations. After all, whenever they see me, I'm either inspecting the quality of their work or I'm bitching about something. What they don't see is when I do all the behind stuff, like pay estimates, checking other people's calculations, etc. The workers leave at 3-3:30pm. Heck, lower level engineers leave at 3-3:30pm everyday. I usually leave at 5-8pm. But wait, don't I come in later than they do? Nope, I come in usually 30 minutes before they come in. But they never see that.

This post has generated a great deal of anger, as we all have worked for someone like this in the past. However in the workplace we never see one of them be this candid about how they feel about the rank and file of a company. I guess ill give this poster credit for honesty, as many in management feel this way about employees. They say narcisissim is rampant among those in management positions as a general statement, this post reeks of it. Just to clear something up however, the poster claims respect is owed to those above you, uh NO it is not. Respect is earned, not granted by the system. What you owe a boss who is an overbearing narcissistic suckup is obiedience, and likely they should be feared as well because of the power they wield over you. These people have the power to determine your future, and if you offend them, challenge them or fail to make them look good you could end up with your career ruined. This is good reason to fear them, but respect them??? NO. I respect those who are hard working and knowledgeable, I respect those who truly lead. I have had bosses I respected, and I have had ones whom I only obeyed and feared. I also respect those who hold lower positions who work hard and contribute. I fear those with authority and a power trip. I just thought the difference should be made clear. Another thing to point out is how many people who earn the hatred of those beneath them ultimately end up being ruined by the people they have bullied for years. Employees will often wait for years for one of these people to make a serious mistake, then they torpedo them. Respected bosses are supported and protected by those beneath them when things get tough. The employees underneath the person in authority often have a lot to do with how successful the manager is.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:48 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,280 times
Look, at the end of the day, all that matters is a paycheck.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:51 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,736,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Look, at the end of the day, all that matters is a paycheck.
But understandably, a paycheck isn't worth it if you must work for terrible bosses.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:55 AM

469 posts, read 637,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Being in management myself, I'll tell you this. It's not that middle management are sucking up to upper management. We respect their position.

When I tell the workers something, I expect them to do it. If I think their work quality doesn't meet the standard, I reject it. I don't expect people to like me. But I do expect them to respect my position. Just a couple weeks ago, after my several attempts at trying to get the workers to be safe, I slapped a $2500 fine on that crew. Ever since, they've been performing their work based on what I wanted right down to the T.

So, when you see people like me (who's in middle management) "suck up" to upper management, to me it's not sucking up. We respect their positions just like the bottom feeders are expected to respect ours. And when we get up there, we expect those below to respect our positions.

That's the way it works.

And regarding your accusation that middle management people add little value, let me tell you about my position. People have accused me of adding little value to the operations. After all, whenever they see me, I'm either inspecting the quality of their work or I'm bitching about something. What they don't see is when I do all the behind stuff, like pay estimates, checking other people's calculations, etc. The workers leave at 3-3:30pm. Heck, lower level engineers leave at 3-3:30pm everyday. I usually leave at 5-8pm. But wait, don't I come in later than they do? Nope, I come in usually 30 minutes before they come in. But they never see that.
Wow, you just called people who work for you BOTTOM FEEDERS and you call that adding value. Point of OP proven.

Carry on..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.