Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 01:26 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,471,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I've been turned down for grocery store positions and I have a GED. Explain that one if you have all the answers (which you don't). I learned that when a manager tells you "we will be calling you in a few days" it really means they are too coward to say they aren't hiring you.
Eh... you call 'em back in a few days when they don't get back to you. Some say you run the risk of annoying them, but what are they going to do, not hire you? Blacklist you? They're already doing that. When I got a cashier job (back a decade or 2 ago), I did come in and be aggressive asking for it. Alas, online applications nowadays throw this process in for a loop, so not sure about today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 09:38 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,076 times
I did call her back (which took a few tries). She told me she hired other people. Point is I have a GED and I am getting turned down for everything.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:02 PM

10,058 posts, read 7,228,273 times
I would seriously question the value of a master's degree if someone with one did not have the ability to strategially plan a job search and execute it.

I have met baristas that had them but typically it was people who are still in a PhD program, or they had the job while in school, just graduated and are holding onto it while doing a broader job search.

My friend has degrees in political science and psychology and says he can't do anything with them. He also does nothing but play video games all day and has not tried to put his degrees to use. He just says its hopeless and makes excuses.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:59 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,805,758 times
The economy has been turning around. Lower energy prices, baby boomers retiring, new administrations in government, new startups etc.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,548 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
The economy has been turning around. Lower energy prices, baby boomers retiring, new administrations in government, new startups etc.
This is true, we currently have about a dozen openings. They all require at least 3 years experience, however, and as long as plenty of people having that still apply the requirement is not likely to be reduced. For those working as baristas with degrees or advanced degrees, there is still competition with people having experience that are moving up or changing companies. It will take a lot more time (and retirees) before many people with degrees but no experience start to be hired again.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:40 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,471,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I did call her back (which took a few tries). She told me she hired other people. Point is I have a GED and I am getting turned down for everything.
Too much work to pour through these forums, and I don't know you that well, but do double check that it's not something wrong with you. Not accusing, but it never hurts to get a 2nd opinion from fresh perspectives. Either way, keep at it, and try to keep your spirits high!

Old 12-30-2014, 12:04 AM

28 posts, read 39,076 times
Effort is half the battle and attitude is about 40% of it.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:21 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Too much work to pour through these forums, and I don't know you that well, but do double check that it's not something wrong with you. Not accusing, but it never hurts to get a 2nd opinion from fresh perspectives. Either way, keep at it, and try to keep your spirits high!
I'm still waiting to hear back from Mcdonald's I applied for back in 2010. I remember walking in those places, and the manager telling me they were fully staffed and to come back in a few months.

The economy is NOT getting better. NOT booming.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:38 PM

894 posts, read 1,049,778 times
The people with Master's Degrees who are working at Starbucks probably took the gig as a survival job until they can find something in their field. To find a job nowadays you really have to just grind it out and keep trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment