Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 10:09 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,611 times

Advertisements

Just wanting to hear some stories. I've never done it.

I'm currently fed up with certain aspects of my job which were misrepresented at the interview. I have talked to my boss about it a few times and he says once we get the system up and running, once we get the new hire on board etc etc. So this should all come to fruition by September/October. I don't want to look for another job, but if certain things don't change (and I've already talked to my boss about which things), I will have to. I like the company and the people but the job is starting to drain me. If they removed one particular task from me which isn't even in the realm of my department but was a concession from my boss to get another person hired, then I will be happy as a clam. We have grown since then and I feel that the task can go back to it's appropriate department and allow me to focus on things that are pertinent to my department.

I'm afraid that there will be push back from the other department and I will still be stuck doing it. Would you or have you ever told your boss that you will look for another job is something doesn't change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 10:15 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Never give an ultimatum like that unless you're looking to be fired - if not immediately then somewhere in the not too distant future.

Were you unhappy with the responses you received in your first two threads about this titled "Vent!" and "Follow up on my vent"?

Or are you just wondering if giving an ultimatum might work?

Old 08-05-2014, 10:18 AM

672 posts, read 789,496 times
I would never give my boss what amounts to an ultimatum, unless I was prepared to be looking for a job that very day. There are productive ways to suggest change, which includes an alternative plan (ie, "If the other department does this task, which really falls under their responsibility, then I will be freed up to train the new hire", or "This isn't working well, but if we do it this way it would be better for everyone because reason X"). If I were to tell my boss that if things don't change, I will be looking for a new job, that would be a self fulfilling prophecy. You aren't in a position of power until you have another job offer on the table.

Or, like Mpowering 1 was able to type faster than me

Old 08-05-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Never give an ultimatum like that unless you're looking to be fired - if not immediately then somewhere in the not too distant future.

Were you unhappy with the responses you received in your first two threads about this titled "Vent!" and "Follow up on my vent"?

Or are you just wondering if giving an ultimatum might work?
Well in my other threads I didn't really ask this question.

I'm wondering if anyone has done something like this and what the outcome was.

I've worked with people who have done this, but that was at my other company where we were having layoffs and people were generally ticked off and I don't personally know how things turned out as I left fairly quickly.

I don't want to leave the job, but I honestly don't know what else I could do if things don't change. An ultimatum would be the absolute last resort. I've been in these situations before and I would just go get another job and leave, but I don't want to do that. I wanted to put in a good amount of years here before leaving.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post

I don't want to leave the job, but I honestly don't know what else I could do if things don't change. An ultimatum would be the absolute last resort. I've been in these situations before and I would just go get another job and leave, but I don't want to do that. I wanted to put in a good amount of years here before leaving.
They are supposed to change after you get your new system up and running, the timeframe for which is September/October. That means you may not see the changes you wish to see until the end of the year or the beginning of next. It likely won't happen immediately following implementation of the new system.

You aren't waiting to see if things will actually change, so I feel that if you don't want to leave the company as you say, that you're jumping the gun.

Patience. You were told things would change, so give your manager the benefit of the doubt and see if that happens.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:27 AM

21,875 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Nope. I've told them I had another offer and liked working for the company and if they could match it or move me into a position with more responsibility in a timely fashion I'd like to stay. If you don't like the job, I don't see why you'd bother with that though. Just find another one and give your two-week notice.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
They are supposed to change after you get your new system up and running, the timeframe for which is September/October. That means you may not see the changes you wish to see until the end of the year or the beginning of next. It likely won't happen immediately following implementation of the new system.

You aren't waiting to see if things will actually change, so I feel that if you don't want to leave the company as you say, that you're jumping the gun.

Patience. You were told things would change, so give your manager the benefit of the doubt and see if that happens.
You are right. I don't expect anything until the end of the year. I'm a planner and I like to know what my options are. In my past jobs I've never spoken up and I feel that in certain instances I should have. I want to be prepared with a strategy now for all possible outcomes. I want to know what my options are and have some time to think about them. I don't want to be caught off guard in a meeting and be stuck doing something because I didn't know how to respond.

The thing is is that if I start looking for another job, it will be in a different state and it will be towards the end of next year so I have time. Like I said, I just want to be prepared for all outcomes.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:31 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,009 times
I did it once, my direct supervisor was super wishy-washy and was never going to get me a promotion unless I directed him to do so.

I prepared my pitch as to why I needed to be promoted and waited until another manager at my level resigned (I knew about the impending resignation) The following Monday i tendered my "soft resignation" to him. I told him that I was going to resign in one month unless we started actual conversations with his boss about restructuring the dept and promoting me.

He knew as well as I that I had him over a barrel and a threat of a second resignation would make him look really bad.

So I was an opportunist but I was ready to walk out the door if need be.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
I did it once, my direct supervisor was super wishy-washy and was never going to get me a promotion unless I directed him to do so.

I prepared my pitch as to why I needed to be promoted and waited until another manager at my level resigned (I knew about the impending resignation) The following Monday i tendered my "soft resignation" to him. I told him that I was going to resign in one month unless we started actual conversations with his boss about restructuring the dept and promoting me.

He knew as well as I that I had him over a barrel and a threat of a second resignation would make him look really bad.

So I was an opportunist but I was ready to walk out the door if need be.
That's awesome. I would love to do something like that!!!

Obviously I wouldn't just tell my boss, I'm quitting unless this or that. I would make a case and indirectly make him see that doing these particular tasks are not in my realm of experience or education or desire and hopefully he will get the hint. How he responds to that conversation will be my sign of whether things will actually change or I need to look elsewhere.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:36 AM

Deleted - posted to the wrong thread.

Last edited by MPowering1; 08-05-2014 at 10:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment