Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 07:00 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,959 times

Advertisements

Merriam-Webster's definition of "girl," in case there was any confusion.

Full Definition of GIRL

a : a female child from birth to adulthood
b : daughter
c : a young unmarried woman
d sometimes offensive : a single or married woman of any age
a : sweetheart
b sometimes offensive : a female servant or employee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 07:16 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,793,546 times
This is stupid, the OP explained himself. Agree/disagree, whatever, move on already.

i made fun 'cause it was funny but geez people, relax. This is being blown up into something whacky and not fun anymore.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:18 PM

519 posts, read 776,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
Only if she is under 18.
Semantics.

I've never met a woman in my life (outside of this topic) that ever had a problem using the words "woman" and "girl" interchangeably.

I'll be right back, I need to go berate my wife for telling me she's having a "girls" night out. I need to remind her of how important it is to refer to her married female friends as "women." We wouldn't want her offending any sensitive snowflakes.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:41 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Don't be a stalker. You submitted your resume. They'll either contact you, or they won't. Let it be. If you contact them one more time, they might blacklist you at that company for any future jobs too.

BTW, sometimes different people in HR 'repost' or 'update' job ads on a regular basis, just to keep the job ads fresh. It might not matter whether they have candidates scheduled for interviews or not. In fact, the person that updates the job ads to refresh them - might not know how far along the candidate selection process is for any given position.

Just move forward with your job hunt.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:09 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
If they reposted the job, they aren't interested in you. Move on, they have.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:21 PM

294 posts, read 476,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Don't be a stalker. You submitted your resume. They'll either contact you, or they won't. Let it be.
That's just the thing. You can submit a resume, but what percentage of the time is it actually seen? I'd bet that percentage is pretty low. With such a high level of uncertainty, for me, it makes sense to do whatever possible to increase those chances. Whether it be calling in and dropping your name, or dropping your resume off yourself. People say traditional methods finding a job - such as submitting resumes online - are a black hole. So why so much disdain for trying something daring to get noticed? Of course I don't want to be too pesky, but I do want to stand out. If there were a job you really wanted, one you were confident you could do well at, I don't see how one could just submit a resume and walk away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
If they reposted the job, they aren't interested in you. Move on, they have.
If they passed on my resume. What harm would there be in going there and trying anyway?

Old 08-05-2014, 09:08 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guawazi View Post
That's just the thing. You can submit a resume, but what percentage of the time is it actually seen? I'd bet that percentage is pretty low. With such a high level of uncertainty, for me, it makes sense to do whatever possible to increase those chances. Whether it be calling in and dropping your name, or dropping your resume off yourself. People say traditional methods finding a job - such as submitting resumes online - are a black hole. So why so much disdain for trying something daring to get noticed? Of course I don't want to be too pesky, but I do want to stand out. If there were a job you really wanted, one you were confident you could do well at, I don't see how one could just submit a resume and walk away.

If they passed on my resume. What harm would there be in going there and trying anyway?

What makes you think the percentage of resumes that are actually seen is pretty low? How was it submitted?

If a resume was sent via email, the percentage is high that it will be seen. People know they have to check their spam folder to look for anything that landed there. Unless you used inappropriate language that might result in your resume being filtered out, the odds of someone getting your resume is HIGH.

If you submitted your information online on a site powered by Taleo or some other company, it might be filtered out if you don't meet all the qualifications, or if you didn't rewrite your resume to include keywords in the job posting. If it's the former, you don't have the qualifications, so people not seeing it wouldn't matter. If it's the latter, you need to start including the job postings keywords to improve the odds your resume will be seen.

No company / school wants an applicant showing up at the door. It's not perceived in a positive light. People have tried to tell you as much in this thread, yet you continue to argue about it. So go, and look bad to them. It will make you happy and it's not going to impact the rest of us.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:42 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
... No company / school wants an applicant showing up at the door. It's not perceived in a positive light. People have tried to tell you as much in this thread, yet you continue to argue about it. So go, and look bad to them. It will make you happy and it's not going to impact the rest of us.

^^^ That.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:10 PM

928 posts, read 1,101,352 times
Forget HR. What are they going to do? They are there to screen you and reject you or forward you to the hiring manager. You need to get in touch with the decision makers, the CEO, the VP of the section you are looking to work in. Don't even bother with hr other than formalities.

I just got an interview by reaching out to the hiring manager directly. I did some detective work and sent a email to what happened to be the right person. Before that I had submitted my resume for e exact same job through... You guessed it - Taleo. The resume black hole. An HR persons best friend. Never heard back from them for 2 months. One email to the right person and I had an interview scheduled the same day.

Play the game right.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:43 PM

294 posts, read 476,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
What makes you think the percentage of resumes that are actually seen is pretty low? How was it submitted?

If a resume was sent via email, the percentage is high that it will be seen. People know they have to check their spam folder to look for anything that landed there. Unless you used inappropriate language that might result in your resume being filtered out, the odds of someone getting your resume is HIGH.

If you submitted your information online on a site powered by Taleo or some other company, it might be filtered out if you don't meet all the qualifications, or if you didn't rewrite your resume to include keywords in the job posting. If it's the former, you don't have the qualifications, so people not seeing it wouldn't matter. If it's the latter, you need to start including the job postings keywords to improve the odds your resume will be seen.

No company / school wants an applicant showing up at the door. It's not perceived in a positive light. People have tried to tell you as much in this thread, yet you continue to argue about it. So go, and look bad to them. It will make you happy and it's not going to impact the rest of us.
It was submitted through an online site. Yes, I did include the keywords in my resume. In fact, all of the keywords were already there. I checked, multiple times. I also meet all of the qualifications and more, hence why I said in the beginning I feel perfect for the job. Included a cover letter as well explaining the how and the why.

And, just so you know, I got one of my first jobs by walking into the office of someone who knew someone, dropping off resumes. It wasn't for flipping burgers either. I realize now that at the time I never thought about it, never worried about being rejected, I just did it because I thought it would be helpful. Granted, that particular company was looking to hire multiple people. For higher level positions I could see this being perceived in a negative light, but it is impossible to say for sure how all people will react because everyone is different. And that alone is reason enough to try I think. Maybe I need to return to my roots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Forget HR. What are they going to do? They are there to screen you and reject you or forward you to the hiring manager. You need to get in touch with the decision makers, the CEO, the VP of the section you are looking to work in. Don't even bother with hr other than formalities.
Yeah, ideally I'd like to reach out to the decision maker, but HR is the next best thing. Actually, I might just try and navigate my way to the hiring managers office, or at least stop by the school to see if I can get some information. It's a college, so it's not like I have to pass through security or anything.

Last edited by guawazi; 08-05-2014 at 11:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment