Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 07:05 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,587,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by czgator View Post
How could you consider yourself a loser when you graduated from college and worked to support yourself while doing so? Everyone who has read a newspaper article, or blog, watched the evening news or YouTube must have a clue about the state of the world economy! Unless you are in the health industry, the job market is highly competitive right now. So go with the job opportunities you have now, and keep your eyes open for future employment in the field you trained for in college, if that is what you want to do. There is nothing wrong with trying other avenues of employment; you might find something you like better, you never know.

As others have suggested, I would try to distance yourself from your relatives if that is the best they can offer in the way of moral support! (Sounds a little like jealousy to me, but whatever the reason, you don't need friends like that. If you can't get out of that environment at present, just let it go in one ear and out the other. Don't bother to argue, it's not worth your time or emotion.) Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. I'm currently looking to move out of state and that's why I'm taking on this 2nd job... something to support myself (I don't have many bills, so whatever I make with a 2nd job and the library, I can put towards the moving costs) until I hear something from Wisconsin. I feel positive about it, but I just keep applying for everything I'm qualified for out there.

I had the interview yesterday. I thought it went well, but the manager said she had a lot of other people to interview as well. I'm going to keep putting applications in retail here. Also, there is a bagel shop near where I live; it's family owned and we know the family (dad is friends with the owner), so I'm going to try that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 12:12 PM

277 posts, read 323,545 times
Default Jess -

- you are not a loser.

The clown with the drink in hand is a loser. I'd stay away from anyone like that.

There are so many young Americans working part time jobs I suppose they are all loser's according to this family member. These people are working the jobs available until a full time job becomes open. Good for them. They are not sitting on their tail end whining - they're working.

My brother is twenty years younger than me, has a degree and worked part time jobs through high school. As he looks for anything part or full time he is finding men and women my age doing jobs that traditionally were done by people his age.

This includes busing tables, washing dishes and so on. Its hard out there right now.

Please believe in yourself and your abilities. Joe Sauce Bag, the relative, should just shut his mouth.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:45 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,587,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50states View Post
- you are not a loser.

The clown with the drink in hand is a loser. I'd stay away from anyone like that.

There are so many young Americans working part time jobs I suppose they are all loser's according to this family member. These people are working the jobs available until a full time job becomes open. Good for them. They are not sitting on their tail end whining - they're working.

My brother is twenty years younger than me, has a degree and worked part time jobs through high school. As he looks for anything part or full time he is finding men and women my age doing jobs that traditionally were done by people his age.

This includes busing tables, washing dishes and so on. Its hard out there right now.

Please believe in yourself and your abilities. Joe Sauce Bag, the relative, should just shut his mouth.
I agree. This family member knows how badly I want to move and how badly I want to work full time in my field, but things take time. This family member is honestly still lucky to be employed after their company closed in the Philadelphia region - their company is mostly in the Midwest now. You'd think if this family member wanted me to work so badly, they would help me more with the cover letter/resume for relocation (this family member has dealt with this). But, I think this family member just wants to criticize.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:47 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,720,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50states View Post
- you are not a loser.

There are many who sadly believe like that drunk relative, that those that work part-time or full-time in retail (more so fast food) like they there is something wrong with them (not that there are situtional issues otherwise.) Just look at posts on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment