Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 01:57 PM

7 posts, read 5,980 times

Advertisements

I signed up for an internship, and yesterday they called me back. I went in for an interview today and the interview was done very unprofessionally. I had a little issue with parking before I actually came in; this made me a little late (by about 5 minutes). However, this didn't really seem to be a problem with anybody. I got an uneasy vibe about the place and it actually made me feel uncomfortable. I have no experience (which is the reason I applied to the internship), I'm a recent college graduate, and I have no job. The guy interviewing me kind-of threw it in my face that I had no experience (in his words "[i] don't have ****.")

The dilemma comes in where I was asked to come back tomorrow to take a test to see if I'm good fit; it's not a formal offer yet. It takes about 2-3 hours to get to by public transportation (my primary method of transportation). I want to do it because I have no experience but I feel so uncomfortable and uneasy about it.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 02:01 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,631,408 times
I think you have nothing to lose but time and the cost of getting to the test.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:05 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,442,840 times
Go with your gut.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:06 PM

6,448 posts, read 7,748,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I think you have nothing to lose but time and the cost of getting to the test.
I agree.

And even if it's a whacky dysfunctional place and you get the offer, it's still experience that you can have on your resume and in your life.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:24 PM

22,344 posts, read 47,322,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ant View Post
I had a little issue with parking before I actually came in; this made me a little late (by about 5 minutes)
Quote:
It takes about 2-3 hours to get to by public transportation (my primary method of transportation).
How is parking an issue with public transportation?

Old 08-06-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
How is parking an issue with public transportation?
Well, I drove my mothers car to the interview because I didn't wanna be late, but tomorrow (and any time after) I'll be riding the bus.

For some reason, the parking meter wouldn't accept my card so I rush to an ATM. Tried to get change, but no business was willing to give me change for a $20. I panicked when I realized I was late and put the entire $20 in the meter. I paid for 6 hours of parking and 1 was only there for almost 30 minutes.

Last edited by Mr. Ant; 08-06-2014 at 03:44 PM..

Old 08-06-2014, 02:34 PM

6,448 posts, read 7,748,924 times
Quote:
Well, I drove my mothers car to the interview because I didn't wanna be late, but tomorrow (and any time after) I'll be riding the bus.

For some reason, the parking meter wouldn't accept my card so I rush to an ATM. Tried to get change, but no business was willing to give me change for a $20. I panicked when I realized I was late and put the entire $20 in the meter. I paid for 6 hours of parking and u was only there for almost 30 minutes.
Meh, it happens. In the grand scheme of things, it's nothing. And you did the right thing by just putting in the $20 so you wouldn't be crazy late - good decision.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:35 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,508,437 times
If this is not a job you would take due to distance - you can either go in just to have the experience of taking a test for a job you don't care about - or you can skip the whole thing.

The guy interviewing you sounds like a real ass. He's already telling you what he would be like to work for. So that's strike one against them.

Picking up on the energy of a company is important and what you described is all negative. If you really need this job and are willing to take on a long commute (in nice weather) like that - then do so knowing you're going to keep looking. Otherwise, either skip the whole thing or take the test just to get one under your belt.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:30 PM

I live in Fort Lauderdale and the job is in downtown Miami. Taking public transportation, that is quite a considerable distance. However, distance would be justified if I felt good about the job and the company but I don't.

On the other hand, the experience would be beneficial.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:33 PM

10,285 posts, read 13,805,255 times
Quote:
I signed up for an internship, and yesterday they called me back. I went in for an interview today and the interview was done very unprofessionally. I had a little issue with parking before I actually came in; this made me a little late (by about 5 minutes). However, this didn't really seem to be a problem with anybody. I got an uneasy vibe about the place and it actually made me feel uncomfortable. I have no experience (which is the reason I applied to the internship), I'm a recent college graduate, and I have no job. The guy interviewing me kind-of threw it in my face that I had no experience (in his words "[i] don't have ****.")

The dilemma comes in where I was asked to come back tomorrow to take a test to see if I'm good fit; it's not a formal offer yet. It takes about 2-3 hours to get to by public transportation (my primary method of transportation). I want to do it because I have no experience but I feel so uncomfortable and uneasy about it.

What do you think?
I can see the concerns but it would depend on what other offers I had. If you have other offers out turn them down, but if not, you may need to bite the bullet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment