Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 04:09 AM

205 posts, read 245,062 times

Advertisements

I got a job with a local retailer two months ago. Due to the fact that the pay was low and I wasn't getting any hours(sometimes 14-17 hours a week). I had to look for a better job. Well I found a second job that is a lot better. I work overnights in a call center and I really really like it. Well, the first job knew that I was going to look for a second job and now they are making things difficult. One of the issues that I have had is that they keep hiring one group of people at the store. This group only talks to each other and refuses to engage anyone else. So that's one issue that I had. Well yesterday I called to get my schedule since it was not hanging up anywhere and the manager refused to give it to me.

Well I had plans the next day and then the first job calls me and tells me that I am supposed to work today. I said that I really couldn't and it wasn't fair that I wasn't getting notice and I already had plans. They were pushy and and told me the hours I was going to come in. When I finally agreed, she said she would change it now and then went through the days that I could work so I got the feeling that she was making my schedule as we spoke which wasn't fair but whatever. We'll i told her that I needed to have NEXT sat off for my sisters graduation and she was like you are killing me here... I mean really? You want me to miss my sisters college graduation? Wtf. So she gave me Saturday off and then hung up. We'll the store manager called and I don't know what the point of this was, but he wanted to know when I could work and then said we could talk about it Saturday. He also told me that I am 2nd in the cash office and that they had 6 people quit (I found out later that it was only 2) and he reminded me that they did hire me first before my second job and that they run a business.

Well throwing that in my face made me angry and he made me feel very bad and I felt manipulated. So two more things. 1. I found out someone else was supposed to work today which means that they lied to me to give him the day off. And 2. I didn't look at the days right but today I will have to work a 17 hour shift. It starts at 6 and then I have to work at the second job and then I have ton go back and work at the first one from 9 until 2pm which is like 2 am for me. They know that I work graveyard. This is waaaay too much and I could hear the stress in their voice when they were talking to me. I was supposed to put in my two weeks notice today but I'm not good with confrontation and after everything that happened I am ticked off and want to quit. I also get graded on my calls so I need to be able to be awake and alert . I don't know how I am going to make it today. Any advice on what to do? I want to just quit because I'm still ticked off about all this.

P. S. Called my sis and told her, she told me that I'm not the store manager and that he is manipulating me which is wrong and since I'm not management and I have to work this horrible shift that I shouldn't feel bad but I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 05:26 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Couple of things here.....

1) The 1st job IS a business, and they schedule people as they need them. You're pretty much at their mercy if you want to work there. They don't have to work with your other schedule if it creates a schedule conflict for them. The call center will look at this the same way.

2) If you're only working part time with them they may be less likely to want to give you time off because it sounds like they may be filling a gap in the schedule with your time.

3) If you don't want (or can't) to work with their schedule that's fine too, but I'd recommend a two week notice before leaving. Quitting with no notice never really gets you a good reference. I'd give the notice and try to stick it out two weeks. They may tell you not to worry about coming back, but you extended the courtesy and that's all that matters.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-08-2014, 07:28 AM

217 posts, read 314,120 times
Show them the same respect they showed you......

Old 08-08-2014, 07:58 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
It is not their problem that you worked midnights at another job. A double shift isn't going to kill you. That said, there is no reason not to have a schedule well in advance and I would let the manager know that. I would also tell him that you are turning in your two weeks notice and ask if he wants you to work those two weeks or not.

Put me in the camp of people who don't think graduations are a big deal or worth missing work for.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:16 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Couple of things here.....

1) The 1st job IS a business, and they schedule people as they need them. You're pretty much at their mercy if you want to work there. They don't have to work with your other schedule if it creates a schedule conflict for them. The call center will look at this the same way.

2) If you're only working part time with them they may be less likely to want to give you time off because it sounds like they may be filling a gap in the schedule with your time.

3) If you don't want (or can't) to work with their schedule that's fine too, but I'd recommend a two week notice before leaving. Quitting with no notice never really gets you a good reference. I'd give the notice and try to stick it out two weeks. They may tell you not to worry about coming back, but you extended the courtesy and that's all that matters.

Hope this helps!

^^^^^this. Only other thing I would add is you knew when your sister's college graduation was. So you don't wait until a week or so before and mention you need that Saturday off. You should have mentioned that at least a month ago.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:22 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
This isn't a career to the op, it's a job - so I disagree that it's not a big deal missing your sisters graduation. If you were told you could take it off, I would have told my manager that when he called.

The company hiring one group of people at the store who only talk to one another shouldn't be described as an issue that you have. It's a job - not a social event. If they don't talk to you, then they're ignorant, but it shouldn't become an issue for you.

Did the manager state why he wouldn't give you your schedule when you called? I feel there may be more to this part of the story. When you didn't get it, why didn't you go into work to ask or see if it was posted? Maybe the manager was in the middle of three other things and that's why you weren't being told by phone. So you didn't get your schedule but made plans for the next day not knowing if you were on the books to work or not. What was going to happen after that - you would keep making plans? Or were you going to go in to see what your schedule was at some point during the week?

Then you write, "They were pushy and and told me the hours I was going to come in. When I finally agreed, she said she would change it now and then went through the days that I could work so I got the feeling that she was making my schedule as we spoke which wasn't fair but whatever." How is it pushy to tell you what hours you were going to work - and how is it unfair that they may have been making up your schedule while you were on the phone? This is a very immature attitude, which makes me wonder if we're getting the full story here. I suspect not.

You also state you found out someone else was supposed to work but they lied to you to give him the day off. It's possible they cut his hours to squeeze you into the schedule. You're assuming what happened based on your anger about everything and your attitude that things are "unfair".

Because you had a job with them first, they rightfully feel their job should be your number one priority. If the schedules between the two jobs require working 17 hours straight, that's not their problem.

"Well throwing that in my face made me angry..." Language is very telling. They probably addressed it with you and you're saying they threw it in your face. This is a matter of maturity.

There are lessons to be learned here if you're willing to learn them. If not, you're going to struggle at many more jobs in the years to come.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:00 PM

398 posts, read 470,698 times
There are some instances when you should quit. Whenever a job is causing you mental stress or there is a family crisis or personal relationships (that always come first), you should definitely quit without notice.

If someone is a poor manager, they don't deserve the two weeks. Sounds like a bunch of people are irritated at the management, and that is the sign of a poor manager.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:19 PM

388 posts, read 535,818 times
I disagree in part with some of the replies.

The reason:
"Well yesterday I called to get my schedule since it was not hanging up anywhere and the manager refused to give it to me.

Well I had plans the next day and then the first job calls me and tells me that I am supposed to work today."

Plus lying about the amount of people they had coming in or being fired as excuses to modify the OP's schedule.

The manager is being unprofessional to the employee.

I would say if the 2nd job is better, and you can afford to live with only that job then definitely quit. Happiness is A LOT better than dealing with unneeded stress.

I'm on the fence about giving the 2 weeks notice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToraG View Post
Show them the same respect they showed you......
This would be my mentality as well.
In general, how have they treated you? How much do they actually need you in these 2 weeks?

Old 09-07-2014, 07:50 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
If you decide to leave your job voluntarily, work a two week notice. It looks better than leaving abruptly without reason.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:01 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,046 times
Okay, they lied and manipulated, still you don't need a bad job reference and it's never a good idea to leave bad stuff behind you, it has a way of showing up down the road and making trouble for you. Wisest course of action is give two weeks notice and tough it out. I'm doing that right now with an employer who has behaved very badly. After this week they can say nothing bad about me to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment