Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 10:27 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Where are the folks who will say she has an illness, so they should put her in rehab and then let her come back? Wait for it, I'm sure it will happen.

She does have an illness, and the disease of alcoholism is nothing to laugh at.

I feel terrible for those children who had to suffer this trauma, but this woman is someone's spouse, sister, mother, daughter, granddaughter, friend. To mock her like this is kicking someone when they're at their lowest point in the abyss.

I don't know - maybe you were hoping to ward off the buzzkills like myself with your comment, but having watched this thread go on for three pages, and not being easily deterred, I thought I would post my thoughts on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 10:37 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
We have a serious problem with alcoholism in this country and so much ignorance surrounding it. As long as it is still viewed as somebody else's bad behavior (yes, it's that too, as is illustrated ) it will continue to multiply.

My kids were in high school in the late eighties and it didn't take long to notice that they had a number of teachers who were struggling with drinking problems. I was so glad when I heard the school was having a night just to focus on addiction.

I attended and was dismayed to hear the focus for the total evening was on self-esteem. That's a prevention issue and needs to be addressed long before high school. There was no mention of the addiction process. They closed the evening with enumeration of the various consequences for getting caught using drugs or alcohol.

Can't say I was surprised that they were unable/unwilling to talk about the topic.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:10 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,183 times
I guess the thought of dealing with disrespectful, unmanageable teens drove her to it. It would me, but I hope I would remember my pants.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:06 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,686,527 times
LOL. Thanks for the laugh.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:47 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Home Economic Teacher, Sewing I., first assignment is to sew some pants for our new teacher

Old 08-09-2014, 04:58 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

I feel terrible for those children who had to suffer this trauma, but this woman is someone's spouse, sister, mother, daughter, granddaughter, friend. To mock her like this is kicking someone when they're at their lowest point in the abyss.

I don't know - maybe you were hoping to ward off the buzzkills like myself with your comment, but having watched this thread go on for three pages, and not being easily deterred, I thought I would post my thoughts on the subject.
Disease of alcoholism? Is that like the disease of obesity? One big problem now is that people fail to take responsibility for their actions. Someone can't walk into a bar and catch alcoholism anymore than someone in McDonalds can catch obesity. They choose to drink and/or eat too much. It's their own fault.

I'm talking from experience. I grew up very overweight. I can lament about how my mother did a poor job with nutrition and fed me crap as a child, but what about now? I had a choice as an adult and chose to continue eating crap. It's my fault. I'm taking control now and have lost 30 lbs. I'll keep going until I've lost all the excess weight.

Ultimately it was my choice to be overweight. Just like everyone has a choice to over eat or drink too much.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:06 PM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

I agree. But we are laughing at the act that the illness caused, not the illness itself.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:20 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
on the first day??no pants??

she started the show and tell hour?????

she keeps this up,,,she can easily be a politician

Old 08-09-2014, 06:37 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
This is Oklahoma.

If she's a young, pretty teacher that proclaims to be a "christian", she can blame it on "falling out of faith" and how "satan was testing her". Once she says that she's "back in line with God", she'll get her job back. No question.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:47 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Mike930, it seems I may have hit a hot button with you. I don't know much about obesity but I've read about the disease of alcoholism due to work I've done. You might try and keep up by reading about it. As far as people not taking responsibility for themselves, you're apparently new here. Anyone who has read this forum knows you're singing to the choir.

Utopian Slums, don't mind me - the fact that a human being is attached to the act shouldn't stop you from your mockery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment