Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 11:10 PM

928 posts, read 1,101,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Not everyone has the same goals or talents that you do. Some people are ambitious, others are happy to just do their job and go home.

I have no desire to get into management because I've seen what managers do all day. They sit in meetings or babysit stupid personality conflicts. I enjoy what I do and if I moved up the food chain, I wouldn't get to do it anymore.
And you end up stuck in the same income bracket. If you are not moving upwards you are dying these days. That's the reality, look around these forums. People can't even get a job flipping burgers man. No one is safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 11:52 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
And you end up stuck in the same income bracket. If you are not moving upwards you are dying these days. That's the reality, look around these forums. People can't even get a job flipping burgers man. No one is safe.
*shrug* I like programming databases. I have no interest in management BS.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:14 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,890,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
I am looking for a job and I have decided that I would rather work for a mid-size to small company as opposed to Corporate- Fortune 200-500. The way I see it is that the corporate environment is full of such power hungry management and high level politics where butt kissing trumps hard work.

I feel that at a small to mid size company hard work is much more appreciated than in Corporate where hard work is overlooked and smoozing all day is what gets you ahead. I really don't have the energy for all that butt kissing. I just want to put in an honest day work and go home.

Any thoughts?
You are completely wrong. The fact that you say "I feel that..." says you never worked for one?

A$$holes and politics exist in all size companies whether Fortune [whatever] or not.

There are ENORMOUS benefits working for a Fortune [whatever] that you don't have elsewhere IE a quality management system that saves your butt from other people's failures. Also the ability to change career paths or move around the company and get away from certain people and cultures that you don't like. You definitely don't have THAT in a small or mid size company.

You MAY like the environment better in a smaller company but don't make the mistake thinking it's an answer to your complaints.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 08-09-2014 at 05:25 AM..

Old 08-09-2014, 05:19 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,046,327 times
Quote:
I am looking for a job and I have decided that I would rather work for a mid-size to small company as opposed to Corporate- Fortune 200-500. The way I see it is that the corporate environment is full of such power hungry management and high level politics where butt kissing trumps hard work.

I feel that at a small to mid size company hard work is much more appreciated than in Corporate where hard work is overlooked and smoozing all day is what gets you ahead. I really don't have the energy for all that butt kissing. I just want to put in an honest day work and go home.

Any thoughts?
I have news for you.....the same thing happens in small companies only in a more intimate setting.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:53 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,985,708 times
From personal experience, I'd suggest a large company early in a career, a smaller company when you've matured. Reasons being:
- more options to move around in a larger company to develop skills
- the more managers/clients/suppliers you work with, the bigger your potential network becomes
- you get that "known quantity" name on your resume

Not to mention you'd probably have a better softball team :-)

That said, at a certain point in time, you realize you're spending too much energy on useless CYA activities and constantly encountering roadblocks to get ideas implemented, to the point where you realize you're not actually "doing" much and your talents and expertise would be more appreciated at a smaller to midsized company.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:17 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,605,780 times
Quote:
I'd like to see what others think of my list, too. Everyone's experience is valuable if you can learn something from it.
I like your list! I would add "sex" to discussions to avoid (politics and religion).

I would also add warnings about dating or socializing with other company employees. In a small company, it's generally a bad idea, other than maybe the once or twice a year "company picnic." In a larger company, I think it's okay to go out for coffee with others *in different divisions,* with whom you aren't working with directly. Dating is still questionable. I wouldn't, unless there were mitigating circumstances, like I was leaving or he was. In general, it's better to keep work and personal life separate if one works for a corporation.

At the same time, it's not good to be a mystery or a weird loner. Put a family photo on the desk. Talk briefly about attending sporting events or family outings on the weekends. Let people know that you are "normal" but you are also busy with your own life outside of work. If you don't have a family, have a time-consuming activity as an excuse, like train for "Ninja Warrior" or recycle scrap metal. The idea is not to get on any security watch lists because you actually spend entire weekends playing violent video games, drinking at dive bars, writing fiction, posting on internet forums, cross-dressing, or anything else not mainstream.

Quote:
Staggerlee666 wrote: F.... this. I am not on this Earth to just survive, do my 9-5 and go home.
You are on track to be the boss of your own company someday!

That is the sort of drive needed to do well in that environment. Don't waste much more time in the corporate pyramid scheme: only the people at the top get the golden parachutes, and your chances of clawing your way up there becomes less with each passing year because of what another poster called "nomad" executives (can't remember the thread). Your company could get bought out by Asians/Russians/Indians next year who Don't. Like. You. (You are not and never will be Like. Them.) Then where has all your hard work gone?

Invest a little of that six figures in some solid stock (Plan B) and then invest in you! Grow a company.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:17 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,016 times
Quote:
*shrug* I like programming databases. I have no interest in management BS.
For what we, database people, do, we don't have to go into management to increase our salaries by $10-20k. We can go from writing SQL to using BI tools like Business Objects and Spotfire. We can also pick up statistical tools like SAS and R.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:49 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,220,948 times
Default This is a pretty good list

Quote:
Yup.

Here's my advice:

1.) Play the game, but ONLY to YOUR advantage...do not aim to disadvantage others.
2.) Don't point fingers or blame. People remember it.
3.) Do your best not to gossip. People remember that, too.
4.) Don't think anyone at work is your bestie. Be friendly, but don't get too personal.
5.) Keep it professional. Don't be aloof, but people at work are not your therapists.
6.) Be above reproach. Don't be "that person" who surfs all day, makes personal calls/texts all day, fights with their spouse on the phone, misses deadlines, or calls in all the time.
7.) Don't backstab other people, but do take advantage of opportunities to make yourself look good.
8.) No drama. Be an adult.
9.) NEVER let them see you cry. EVER.
10.) NEVER discuss politics or religion, even if others bring it up. Skirt the issue with something neutral or non-controversial, then change the subject.
11.) NEVER complain, even if others complain to you.
12.) NEVER curse, even if others do.
13.) HR is NOT your friend. They are there to protect the company FROM you.
14.) The company does not owe you anything but a paycheck.
15.) You do not owe the company anything but the time they are paying you for.
16.) Exceed expectations without making your boss look bad.
17.) NEVER EVER EVER issue an ultimatum.

I'm sure some people will argue about some of these, but this list is what has gotten me or others in trouble at other companies.
I'm close to retirement and have worked in the private and government sectors. The list above is a good one. I will add three things:

1.) Look around the cafeteria at lunch time. If you don't see anyone with grey hair, that should be a signal to find a government job at 40. Executives have their own lunch room and you won't see them.
2.) If you are a male, don't let a known female trouble maker ever get you alone and close the door. You will pay the price for that mistake.
3.) When you get to 50 you may get laid off. The company will lay off an equal number of people under and over 40 to cover their butts. Those under 40 will find a job much quicker, you won't.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:01 AM

3,041 posts, read 5,000,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
I live in the most expensive city in the world. My buddies who make $40-50K live with 10 roommates to make ends meet. They barely go out cause they are always strapped for cash.
Luanda, Angola? N'Djamena, Chad? Hong Kong? I hope you're not going to say anywhere in the US, cause NY doesn't break the top 10

Old 08-09-2014, 07:02 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,220,948 times
Default Franchises

Quote:

Any thoughts?
Read the fine print on any franchise agreement. You may be buying their food at their prices. Some of them wipe out your savings and make you an employee anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment