Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 05:22 PM

188 posts, read 238,010 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine told me that he was working for a staffing company(A) and assigned to client company(B) as a IT consultant(hourly base contractor), after 5 months worked, he had decided to quit the company, so he gave the 2 weeks notice to A and B, but he was terminated from B just one week later, so he didn't make money for 1 week, since company B didn't want to allow him to work full two weeks, just all of a sudden terminated the contract one week after the 2 weeks resignation notice.
I was surprised.
As a contractor(hourly), the termination means no more money, so if he had known this before, he should have gave just maybe 3 days notice or same day notice in order to make as much money as he could, but he did 2 weeks notice for courtesy and good manner, but client B didn't appreciate his kindness and chose to cut the contract in the middle of two weeks end time period, what a company!!
Who is gonna give two weeks notice?
If a full time perm employee, I know, normally company give full payroll upto the end date even if they let him go home for two weeks. But contractor is a different story.

Maybe I didn't know the nature of contractor's world, but if this is normal happenings, then I think two weeks notice is no good for the contractor, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 05:27 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
A couple things:

1. Your friend is an employee of the staffing agency and is paid by the staffing agency, not the company he's assigned to. Thus, any resignation notice should have only been given to the staffing agency.

2. The company the staffing agency assigned your friend to is/was free to terminate his employment at any time, regardless of whether a resignation notice was given. That's the nature of contract work.

Last edited by 313Weather; 08-09-2014 at 06:09 PM..

Old 08-09-2014, 05:48 PM

867 posts, read 1,588,171 times
Disqusting. Someone was trying to be professioanal and look where it got him. Lesson learned, if you work for a staffing company, just give them a few days notice. no more 2 weeks notice.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
Disqusting. Someone was trying to be professioanal and look where it got him. Lesson learned, if you work for a staffing company, just give them a few days notice. no more 2 weeks notice.
Professional? Telling the client that you're leaving is professional? Hardly. The OP's friend should have let the staffing agency deal with the client.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:05 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,355 times
Quote:
Yes, let's apply this blanket advice because of one user's experience who didn't even resign correctly.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:07 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,480 times
Quote:
yes. staffing agencies are the "bankers" of contract employment. they're scum. You have to either be very naive to give either client company or "banker" staffing agency 2 weeks notice, or missing a few cards in the deck. Why even give them a few days? Give them 24 hrs and be done with it>

The scenario is a perfect illustration of a sheep in a forest full of wolves. it's an example of what not to do.-

Old 08-09-2014, 06:20 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
In many cases with long term contract work the agency is nothing but a payroll processor, the worker has little or no contact with the agency at all and them and the work and are controlled by the client. That is what it was like when I did it. The agency just cut my paychecks and sent tax info.

Therefore you should give notice to the client if you think it will be accepted otherwise just quit with no notice. If they aren't committed enough to you to employ you directly and give benefits then you really don't owe them any notice. Contract is like shacking up and employment is more like a stable relationship or even marriage.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:44 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
I was in the exact same situation once. Notified the agency, they notified the client and once they did they told me I was ok to talk to the client as well. Client told me I did not have to come back around Thursday of the first week after we had a couple of handoff meetings. Agency paid me for the whole two weeks. First class operation on all fronts.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:49 PM

he should have given notice only to the agency. when you sign up with these scheisters, you really need to read the fine print on all of the paperwork they hand you and have you sign as well. It probably mentions something about resigning and giving notice. Of course the agency should have paid 2 weeks if notice was given to THEM. I'm curious what the fine print says.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:53 PM

as soon as someone tells something to the client company, the people there are going to snitch to the staffing agency. They're paying the agency $, that's who they're going to side with, not the worker. Worker = commodity. Why oh why would you want to give the client company notice...of course they're going to run back to the agency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment