Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 12:11 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,694 times

Advertisements

The Ultimate Guide To Finding a Job as an English Major – SellOutYourSoul

I've been thinking outside the box again as I look in Wisconsin and typed in "Can an English get a job?" This site popped up and it pertains to all liberal arts degrees. I like this piece of advice:

Quote:
Don’t just tell an employer what you studied. Tell them what skills you acquired in your degree that can help their company.

For example, a history degree requires you to learn how to analyze historical data to find patterns. This means you have the skill of synthesizing complex information into a coherent story. Marketing research does the same thingˆ’except that the content shifts from historical treatises to consumer insights.

It’s not about the content. The content can change. It’s about the skills you have.
This page is an interesting read and it really makes me think of my cover letter and resume. I might have to re-work the package. But, this was the most eye opening:

Quote:
The place you get your degree doesn’t really matter.

So you have a degree from Harvard. What else have you done?

Let’s face it. People don’t care where you went to school. What your GPA is. People hate when I say that. But it’s true.

In all the interviews I’ve done, and all the people I’ve hired, it’s never important where you went to school. It’s all about your attitude in the meeting.
Maybe the lack of success in trying to relocate thus far has been attitude. I didn't feel confident about Michigan. I feel more confident about Wisconsin, but maybe I should practice more confidence on phone interviews (my aunt said she can help me with that; she'll practice with me). Of course as I find a 2nd temporary job here in Pennsylvania, those interviews can help me too.

This is definitely an interesting read and I think it could be valuable for any degree, honestly. Let me know what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 04:23 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
"The place you get your degree doesn’t really matter.

So you have a degree from Harvard. What else have you done?

Let’s face it. People don’t care where you went to school. What your GPA is. People hate when I say that. But it’s true.

In all the interviews I’ve done, and all the people I’ve hired, it’s never important where you went to school. It’s all about your attitude in the meeting."

I would care. I would definitely hire the person from Harvard with a 3.8 GPA if I were the owner that is. The only worry I would have is that he/she'll probably run off to get their pHd after 2 or 3 years and go be a professor or a consultant at McKinsey.

People who say any differently just don't know anything. I have never worked with a person who went to Harvard. They just typically wouldn't work in my industry.

Your attitude shows your motivation or that you put on a good show, shows potential. Getting a 3.8 at Harvard shows that you had motivation for 8 years and more importantly 'followed through and produced'.

Now, real job experience is different. Depending on the position, I would pick somebody who had years of real world experience over a workaholic genius from Harvard.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:42 PM

522 posts, read 721,314 times
the place you got a degree from very much matters in certain fields.
heck, there are companies that recruit only graduates from certain colleges.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:15 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,491,768 times
First, a little background about me, so you know where I'm coming from. I'm an American and went to a US liberal arts college. Graduated in '99 with a liberal arts degree and went to work in corporate development for a major professional services firm right out of college. I worked, traveled, and lived all over the world, worked with CxOs of some of the largest companies in the world, led large deals ranging from $20 million to $1 billion. I also screened, interviewed, and recruited people into our team in several different countries and continents, at both junior and senior levels. I have now taken early/temporary retirement to travel and play with my hobbies.

I agree very much about the skill versus subject aspect. Liberal arts are not about certain subjects -- they are about a certain way of looking at and questioning the world. That's the aspect you need to emphasize. Kind of related to that, I would suggest focusing on one or two of your key strengths and relate everything back to those. For instance, when I interviewed for jobs in college, I highlighted analytical skills as my strength. So I tied everything to that. Favourite class in college? Econometrics, because I loved the analyses. Biggest accomplishment? Getting a paper published in a peer-reviewed journal about a multi-variate regression analysis about entrepreneurship. What's your ideal job? Something that involves a lot of problem-solving. You get the picture. Over a 30-minute interview, the message that comes across is not that I'm someone who majored in "economics"or "finance", but rather someone with "analytical skills".

This is also something I always looked for when interviewing candidates. When someone presents themselves as being great at everything, I tend to be skeptical. When someone gives me a coherent story and I can get an idea of their personality (analytical, creative, good with words, etc.), that tells me more about whether they're what I' looking for.

The other part of focusing on skills is that I can always train you in a subject, but it's much harder for me to train you in the soft skills, like how to analyze something, how to learn about a new subject, how to build an argument, how to communicate, etc. The better/more savvy interviewers/recruiters will hire for the personality rather than the subject.

Regarding school and GPA, I disagree that it's not important, especially for entry-level/junior candidates with little/no work experience. Because that's often your only relevant experience so that's the only thing I have to go on. For me, a good GPA is more important than the school (unless it's absolutely a no-name place). As mentioned above, a good GPA (especially from a good school) shows that you have the diligence to keep at something for a long time and produce the goods, even when there are a lot of distractions -- something that will come in handy in any new job. School and GPA may matter very little DURING the interview, but they can impact whether you get the interview. The way to overcome an unknown school or low GPA on your resume would be to have lots of good experiences (e.g. independent projects). In my college, the senior level courses involved studying an area very intensively and writing a detailed publication-worthy paper on it. I listed some of those in my resume, outlining the analyses required -- those were my "experiences" (and they further bolstered my "analytical skills" narrative). Obviously for more senior-level people, this doesn't apply, because their work experience is more important.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:25 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
I have a liberal arts degree. I've worked in IT my entire career.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:25 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,790,414 times
OP, both those quotes are garbage.

I work with people who have degrees from Harvard (undergrads, MBA's, and a lot from the medical school). They're sharp, and it is absolutely meaningful.

And I wouldn't go spewing how a history degree is good for marketing research, because it's not. Know what degree is good for marketing research...marketing (with a research concentration). So if one has a history degree and desperately wants to do mkt research, they should show that by taking some extra classes, learning about the field, etc. rather than trying to convince someone how their non relevant degree is actually relevant. It won't work because the person sitting across from you who is doing the interviewing understands mkt research - you can apply that general information to many things.

Best of luck.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:54 PM

I've been trying to relocate for 9 months and I'm just not sure what's wrong. Here's the resume with the new information (new place I'm trying to relocate to). I know I will probably have to change:

JESSICA MARIE
WRITER AND LIBRARIAN

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania @yahoo.com 610-***-****
(Willing to Relocate to Green Bay, Wisconsin)

OBJECTIVE
To find a job as a librarian, to grow and to bring creativity, knowledge and the love of words to young and older minds alike.

WRITING EXPERIENCE
West Chester University: The Quad West Chester, Pennsylvania 1/2011-10/2013
• Reported fare changes for SEPTA (Southeastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority)
• Feature writer on travel pieces about Wisconsin (Green Bay and Milwaukee), Maryland (Baltimore and Northeast), and Germany.
• Feature writer covering the yearly polar plunge held by the Brandywine Valley Association, as well as musical events around the West Chester and King of Prussia, Pennsylvania areas.

Software Application Training West Chester, Pennsylvania 5/2011-12/2013
Intern
• Planned and published manuals on Microsoft Word, Mail Merge, Outlook, PowerPoint and Access
• Revised old manuals on phishing, spam and protecting yourself on the web.
• Organized and planned the monthly agenda.
• Assisted faculty of West Chester University with computer and internet usage.
• Taught and provided one-on-one training for Word, Mail Merge and Outlook for faculty and staff members of West Chester University.
• Assisted with planning the yearly RECAP technology conference and assisted during the conference.

LIBRARY EXPERIENCE
Upper Merion Middle School Gold Library King of Prussia, Pennsylvania 9/2002-6/2003
Volunteer
• Redesigned and organized the circulation and student areas.
• Helped students find materials through the card catalog.
• Influenced students reading choices by recommending books.

Upper Merion Township Library King of Prussia, Pennsylvania 8/2006-Present
Page
• Assist patrons on using the online card catalog and locating the materials.
• Influence and suggest books and entertainment to patrons, which increase materials being checked out.
• Assist patrons with computer usage, instructing patrons how to use the internet, Microsoft Word and the library printer
• Organize inter-library loans being delivered to the library.
• Organize magazines, books, CDs, DVDs and keep general order of the library.

MENTORING EXPERIENCE
Writing Instructor King of Prussia, Pennsylvania 6/2010-8/2010
• Assisted students in grammar, setting up sentences, crafting stories, and poems.
• Planned lessons that would influence, excite and motivate students.
• Organized graded work.
• Discussed works by other authors, which helped students get an idea of what worked, didn’t work, the craft and the process of writing.
Discovering Great Artists Art Workshops King of Prussia, Pennsylvania 7/2014
• Assist the children’s department of the Upper Merion Township Library in setting up before the program.
• Oversee the kindergarteners through third graders while the children’s librarian is teaching about the artist of the week.
• Provide one-on-one help to the children with paint, the use scissors and other art techniques.
• Encourage children to use their imagination and develop their own art styles while learning about different artists.
PUBLICATIONS
 Currently writing Lambeau Leaping Through Wisconsin; part memoir and part travel guide.
SKILLS
 Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Publisher (2000, 2003, 2010, 2013).
 Advanced social media skills for promotion and business.
 Communication (both speaking and writing) in elementary level Arabic, fluent in German.
 Library databases (MCLINC or Montgomery County, Pennsylvania’s database and EBSCOHost).
 Patience to provide the best for patrons.

EDUCATION
West Chester University of Pennsylvania West Chester, Pennsylvania 8/2008- 12/2013
Bachelor of Arts: English Writing Minor: Philosophy GPA: 3.1

Old 08-11-2014, 06:01 PM

Well, you asked if a liberal arts major could find a job, not specifically as a librarian.

It's tough to get a job as a librarian, even for people with MLS degrees. So, I wouldn't be surprised if you don't get a job ... for the next 5 years.

I'm just saying, if you want to be a librarian, you probably need an MLS.

There are many other jobs you could probably get with just a BA English though.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Well, you asked if a liberal arts major could find a job, not specifically as a librarian.

It's tough to get a job as a librarian, even for people with MLS degrees. So, I wouldn't be surprised if you don't get a job ... for the next 5 years.

I'm just saying, if you want to be a librarian, you probably need an MLS.

There are many other jobs you could probably get with just a BA English though.
Well, that specific library only wanted a BA in English. However, it was through a county in Green Bay. Since I'm still in Pennsylvania and not in Wisconsin yet, not sure if I'll get it due to location.

I've been applying for writing and office jobs as well... since my experience lies in that. However, since I'm trying to move, I'm not sure if that's why it's really tough.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Well, that specific library only wanted a BA in English. However, it was through a county in Green Bay. Since I'm still in Pennsylvania and not in Wisconsin yet, not sure if I'll get it due to location.

I've been applying for writing and office jobs as well... since my experience lies in that. However, since I'm trying to move, I'm not sure if that's why it's really tough.
In my experience, it is very difficult to find a job if you are a remote candidate.

Just from my own experience, I submitted over 150 resumes for jobs outside my extended area over some years, but I was qualified for all of them. I got one letter back for a screening interview.

I know this is CD forum, and somebody is going to say, "Well, they recruited me from NYC to Seattle and paid for my steak dinner and moving expenses.", but for most of us ... it's tough. Trust me.

In my experience, if you were to move before you started your job search, it'd improve your chances probably at least TENFOLD if not more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment