Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 01:17 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
See...who doesn't know if their medical conditions are not considered disabilities? Who doesn't know that they don't have to tell all of their personal business to a company they aren't even a part of? Who doesn't know that unless a field on the application is coded as "required," then answering is optional. If you still want to answer the question, there are a ton of vague, yet acceptable answers to give.

If someone is completing an application and something seems really off, I would just move on to the next application.

I've completed thousands of applications and I've never seen any required questions that involved deep, personal medical information.

How about a young person who has other concerns and may not be processing this little bit of information, or may not even know what can and cannot be asked or skipped on an application. Much of this isn't taught in school, and as I always say - you don't know, what you don't know.

Just because you haven't seen something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Just because you know something, doesn't mean everyone else should know it.

Nice little break you took after you started this thread, Charlygal, but some of us were hoping we wouldn't be getting more of the same from you once you decided to return. How foolish of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 01:42 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Perryview, another one of our posters, Jess, was confused and answered these questions not realizing the medical conditions she was listing weren't even disabilities and that she didn't have to answer the question.

It's probably done as a way to avoid hiring people who might cost them more money insurance-wise, and it would be tough to prove that point, so they're getting away with it. It should be illegal, but as apathetic as we've become, it's going to be some time before that happens.
Yes, when I was applying in Michigan, a plasma company asked on the application if I had any diseases such as hypothyroidism, bipolar disorder, PTSD, etc. I do have hypothyroidism and PTSD; I used to be medicated for bipolar disorder (the application stated previous diagnoses as well). I said yes because the application said not to lie because they work with the government. I said yes because well, I didn't want to lie if the government was involved. I never did get an answer, so it probably was a screening. I didn't end up relocating to Michigan and now looking in WI. I haven't run into those yet in Wisconsin and where I currently reside in PA. That was the only time I encountered such a thing. Oh, and that question for the Michigan plasma app, it HAD TO BE ANSWERED and you had to say "yes," "no," or "prefer not to say." I probably should have said "prefer not to say," but before you answered, the app did say, "We hope you do tell us because we work with the government."

Old 08-12-2014, 01:52 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
How about a young person who has other concerns and may not be processing this little bit of information, or may not even know what can and cannot be asked or skipped on an application. Much of this isn't taught in school, and as I always say - you don't know, what you don't know.

Just because you haven't seen something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Just because you know something, doesn't mean everyone else should know it.
I hear you but...when someone is completing an application and they come to a question that seems off, don't they have the ability to just google how to answer that question?

Inappropriate questions may exist. Young people are online all the time. They can't google whether and how to answer such questions?

Old 08-12-2014, 01:54 PM

If the government wasn't mentioned in the app I filled out, I would have said "prefer not to answer," but when the government was brought up... I told the truth.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I hear you but...when someone is completing an application and they come to a question that seems off, don't they have the ability to just google how to answer that question?

Inappropriate questions may exist. Young people are online all the time. They can't google whether and how to answer such questions?

Doing a search online would make sense if the person filling out the application had the thought that the question might not be one he or she should answer. But if you lack experience in the world and don't have any kind of thought that inappropriate questions might be asked, you're not going to think about it any further. You're not going to do a search because you're coming from a place where you think if a question is on an application, it must be okay for them to ask and me to answer.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Yes, when I was applying in Michigan, a plasma company asked on the application if I had any diseases such as hypothyroidism, bipolar disorder, PTSD, etc. I do have hypothyroidism and PTSD; I used to be medicated for bipolar disorder (the application stated previous diagnoses as well). I said yes because the application said not to lie because they work with the government. I said yes because well, I didn't want to lie if the government was involved. I never did get an answer, so it probably was a screening. I didn't end up relocating to Michigan and now looking in WI. I haven't run into those yet in Wisconsin and where I currently reside in PA. That was the only time I encountered such a thing. Oh, and that question for the Michigan plasma app, it HAD TO BE ANSWERED and you had to say "yes," "no," or "prefer not to say." I probably should have said "prefer not to say," but before you answered, the app did say, "We hope you do tell us because we work with the government."
Thanks for clarifying, Jess. I remember people pointing out to you that none of those are disabilities, so I thought on the application 'disabilities' was referenced, although I could be wrong.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying, Jess. I remember people pointing out to you that none of those are disabilities, so I thought on the application 'disabilities' was referenced, although I could be wrong.
Ah, yes, they did say "disabilities" and then gave the list of "diseases" that were part of the disabilities. There were a few more I believe, but those three stuck out to me since I have and had them.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:50 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:

Nice little break you took after you started this thread, Charlygal, but some of us were hoping we wouldn't be getting more of the same from you once you decided to return. How foolish of us.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:22 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times
All this stuff is ridiculous to me. There has never been absolute protection for disabled people in the workforce. Even the ADA act from 1992 hasn't done much. These discrimination laws look good on paper but in the real world anything can happen. We keep hearing about how many people are living on disability instead of working. I'm talking about legitimate cases. Just think if this nonsense didn't exist, how many people would choose to work instead of accepting assistance. This is something congress needs to look at.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
All this stuff is ridiculous to me. There has never been absolute protection for disabled people in the workforce. Even the ADA act from 1992 hasn't done much. These discrimination laws look good on paper but in the real world anything can happen. We keep hearing about how many people are living on disability instead of working. I'm talking about legitimate cases. Just think if this nonsense didn't exist, how many people would choose to work instead of accepting assistance. This is something congress needs to look at.

Agreed. I have a friend that was born disabled. I'm not exactly everything, but I know she has epilepsy. She's disfigured. I met her in college and she did graduate; 12 years after starting and has been looking for part time work since 2012. No one will hire her. She goes through social workers and works with people to help, but thus far, no luck. It's sad because she really wants to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search