Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 07:36 AM

217 posts, read 314,251 times

Advertisements

Opportunity cost , people!!

Educate yourself about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 07:52 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma1329 View Post
So I started my job search again on 7/7 after being unemployed for a long time. Today I received a full time job offer (already took on a part time that first week of searching). I am currently still interviewing with other companies. I interviewed with six different places yesterday and today (three are viable I think), and I have three more scheduled later this week and early next week. I am also still waiting to hear back from another job that I interviewed for last week to see if I make it to the second round, too. So, in short, even though nothing is for certain, I feel like at least I am getting calls to interview pretty okay.

Honestly, even though I am grateful that I received a full time job offer today, I really want to turn it down because 1.) the job holds absolutely no challenge for me, no learning curve and no chance for growth and will not add to my resume in the future 2.) I didn't get a good feeling about management when I interviewed 3.) the commute to work will be long, at least an hour each way if not more. So, essentially, the only reason I will accept this job is because of fear of not being able to find anything else.

But, the economy is bad and a steady income does hold an appeal. I am really low on funds. Will have to live off credit cards if I don't start having more steady full time income by the end of September.

What should I do? Thanks for reading, and answering if you feel like it.
Really depends on what you think your chances of landing a better job by the end of September. Only you know the answer to that question.

I took a full-time job out of desperation and have been unhappy ever since. I am still looking for something, but dang it is tough when you are employed because you have to worry about getting off for interviews and what not.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:56 AM

403 posts, read 935,708 times
Does the new job have an alternative work schedule or allow time for interviewing during normal business hours? If so, I would definitely take it and continue interviewing. If not, it will be very difficult to continue interviewing while you are in a new job and likely will not be able to take any time off.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:26 AM

71 posts, read 269,473 times
The new job is a regular full time job, so I think it will be very hard to go interview. I need to get back to them today. Thanks everyone for your feedback. These are all good suggestions and I am thinking things over.

Call me crazy. I am leaning towards turning down this particular job offer, even though all parts of me that are wanting the security of regular pay check are screaming really loud: go ahead and take it, beggers can't be choosers and all that.....but it just doesn't feel right to sell myself short and take the first full time offer that comes along. I feel like I will find something better, and my only concern is that I won't find it fast enough, but I will find it.

I am not a risk taker usually, but sometimes even though I am terrified, I feel like I need to take one in order to get what I want.....

Old 08-13-2014, 09:44 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,991,972 times
I say take it. If the other interviews pan out to offers, you should give two weeks notice. Great that you have options!

Old 08-13-2014, 09:56 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,288 times
You obviously have reservations about both the position and the management in this situation. Typically it is better to have a position and income while searching for the "ideal" job but only you can know what is right for you at this time. As one response indicated, your appear to have options available.

Do you have a skill set that makes you desirable or something that is attractive to employers that you are getting this many responses in what you describe as a poor economy? Can you relocate to an area where you have more opportunity? What is the amount of uncertainty you are willing to accept in lieu of $$ in your pocket?

You also stated you had six interviews yesterday, was this six in-person interviews or six phone screens with HR staff going through a process of elimination? There is a significant difference in the level of confidence I would feel between the two.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:12 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
Have you done any negotiating on this offer? Are there things you could get them to agree to that would make this job a better opportunity for you? You could possibly get them to extend the time a little by negotiating for higher pay, or more vacation time or some other benefit, though it's iffy morally to negotiate for a job you really don't want and would leave if you got another offer. Are you on unemployment? Is it running out soon? What kind of resources do you have available to get through the next few months? All of those make a difference.

I personally would probably pass on that job. It sounds like you're working hard to find something, it's not your dream job, etc. I'm looking to change careers and having a tough time getting interviews due to all the screening software that a lot of companies use. I am currently working temporarily in the industry I'm trying to get out of. I told them upfront that I couldn't commit to a prolonged time (they wanted a year at least). We were able to work it out that I would work for them, train a replacement and interview when I need to. The person I am training has absolutely no experience in the business and there is a ton to learn, so hopefully the timing will work out for everyone.

Earlier in the summer I did interview for a job that paid well enough, but I thought wouldn't be a good fit. I passed it up, and as time went by, I got really nervous and applied to several jobs in my industry along with a bunch in the field I want to get into. I got contacted for a job (in the new field) about 3 weeks after I applied for it. Had a phone interview the 4th week, was contacted the 6th week, had my in-person interview yesterday (7th week). After interviewing on-site yesterday, I am really enthused about the job and the people I'd be working most closely with. She's interviewing other people the rest of the week and then cutting it down to her top 2 who will need to interview with her boss who is traveling until the end of next week. The job won't start until sometime next month. In the meantime, I am applying for other jobs. I think I have a good chance of a job in my industry, but am kind of hoping that nothing happens on that one until I hear about the job I just interviewed for.

I read an article just the other day, can't remember where I saw it, but it said that the job market is definitely picking up. The thing that I thought was really interesting is that it said on average, it takes a company 3 months to hire someone once they post the opening. I had no idea it was so long. It's been a while since I've been in the market, and I don't remember previous jobs taking so long. The article also said that the 3 months is an improvement down from 4 months.

Last edited by knitgirl; 08-13-2014 at 11:26 AM..

Old 08-13-2014, 12:54 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma1329 View Post
Call me crazy. I am leaning towards turning down this particular job offer, even though all parts of me that are wanting the security of regular pay check are screaming really loud: go ahead and take it, beggers can't be choosers and all that.....but it just doesn't feel right to sell myself short and take the first full time offer that comes along. I feel like I will find something better, and my only concern is that I won't find it fast enough, but I will find it.

I am not a risk taker usually, but sometimes even though I am terrified, I feel like I need to take one in order to get what I want.....
I guess the other relevant thing here is that you said that before all this hoopla of organizatins clamoring for you, you were long term unemployed. Was that for lack of effort or something. Because that particular piece of information matters - did you realize you were a programming genius and are now much more attractive. I guess I assumed that since you were long time unemployed, that it would not be as easy as you make it sound for you.

If I were long term unemployed and at risk for damaging my credit (or worse), I would jump at anything. So if you've managed to attain marketable skills while being unemployed, then I would consider changing my stance towards accepting an offer that is poor.

But sounds like something changed, and changed drastically between the time you were unemployed and now. And it's not just the job market that got better - not that much better from zero offers for a long time to many offers in a short time. I must say, most rational people in your situation (very low on funds and at risk for living off credit cards) would be super stressed and willing to accept almost anything. What gives?

Edit: You sure you don't have anything else to fall back on that you didn't reveal? A safety net like your parents or something?

Old 08-13-2014, 02:54 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
How soon would you have to start? Would it prevent you from doing the other interviews?

Old 08-13-2014, 04:58 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,308 times
+1 to fishbrains

I turned down a job when before expenses I was making more on unemployment and they also were keeping me just under 30hrs so no benefits. Once I calculated gas, insurance, and childcare I would have been losing money to work there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search