Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 05:16 PM

38 posts, read 45,319 times

Advertisements

They have done studies and employment candidates who have a LinkedIn page are far more successful in their job search. Further studies have shown that job applicant's who have a LinkedIn profile with a picture are more likely to be called by hiring managers or recruiters.

So then why should I not put my picture on my resume if they are going to go online and look at my picture anyway?

(This link says LinkedIn profiles with pictures get much more attention

https://www.themuse.com/advice/the-3...or-job-seekers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 06:22 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,719,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things to say View Post
They have done studies and employment candidates who have a LinkedIn page are far more successful in their job search. Further studies have shown that job applicant's who have a LinkedIn profile with a picture are more likely to be called by hiring managers or recruiters.

So then why should I not put my picture on my resume if they are going to go online and look at my picture anyway?

(This link says LinkedIn profiles with pictures get much more attention

https://www.themuse.com/advice/the-3...or-job-seekers
I only added a picture to my LinkedIn page this year. I have been on LinkedIn since like 2003. Not sure if the picture helps or not, but compared to last year I am getting more bites on my job applications!

Old 08-13-2014, 06:24 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,875,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things to say View Post
Because it is not typical to include a photo and therefore makes you appear vain--as if you were putting together your application materials and decided that your physical beauty would surely get you hired.

LinkedIn is a different story because it is ostensibly used for networking. The photo can help you confirm that the Bob Smith whose profile you are viewing is indeed the same Bob Smith you met at the happy hour last week. And on a platform where photos are a standard part of a profile, it is unsurprising that people who have not made use of that feature are less successful in that particular arena. Refusing to show your face makes you look like you are either hiding something or just lazy.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:26 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,477,487 times
Linkedin in a business networking site and your resume is a document capturing your work history and achievements. While you can upload your resume to Linkedin, it's really intended for networking where photos are appropriate. Putting photos on resumes has always been considered cheesy. Not that this belief won't ever change - it could -but for now, it's considered poor taste.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:33 PM

701 posts, read 1,093,643 times
Yes, photos on resumes are considered inappropriate...right now. As MPowering said, who knows if that'll be true in the future. They also used to say "one page maximum," but that became "two pages maximum," and I'm waiting for that to go back to one, or up to three at some point.

But Linkedin is a social networking tool that's supposed to lead people to your resume, as opposed to being a resume. The lack of a photo suggests that you have something to hide.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:32 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,983,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
Because it is not typical to include a photo and therefore makes you appear vain--as if you were putting together your application materials and decided that your physical beauty would surely get you hired.

LinkedIn is a different story because it is ostensibly used for networking. The photo can help you confirm that the Bob Smith whose profile you are viewing is indeed the same Bob Smith you met at the happy hour last week. And on a platform where photos are a standard part of a profile, it is unsurprising that people who have not made use of that feature are less successful in that particular arena. Refusing to show your face makes you look like you are either hiding something or just lazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
Yes, photos on resumes are considered inappropriate...right now. As MPowering said, who knows if that'll be true in the future. They also used to say "one page maximum," but that became "two pages maximum," and I'm waiting for that to go back to one, or up to three at some point.

But Linkedin is a social networking tool that's supposed to lead people to your resume, as opposed to being a resume. The lack of a photo suggests that you have something to hide.
When my husband was looking for work as an attorney, in the late 1970s, early 1980s, all attorney resumes (at least in our state) had photographs but teacher resumes did not. Some time after that attorneys stopped putting photographs on their resumes. I believe it was because there were concerns about discrimination.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:42 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,699,580 times
I put one on my resume after I gave one without. My employer then can match my face to my paperwork.I was hired.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:04 PM

701 posts, read 1,093,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
When my husband was looking for work as an attorney, in the late 1970s, early 1980s, all attorney resumes (at least in our state) had photographs but teacher resumes did not. Some time after that attorneys stopped putting photographs on their resumes. I believe it was because there were concerns about discrimination.

Geez, really? Who knows, maybe in 5 years we will all be expected to put photos back on our resumes and take them off of our LI profiles. Only no one will tell us. It will just be implied in some roundabout way.

I can't remember why, but many years ago my boss at the time wanted me to look at his resume. He had listed his hobbies, and I said I thought that was inappropriate, unless the hobbies were related to the position. He disagreed completely and said that it showed there was a real person behind the piece of paper. It seems, as far as I can tell, I was right, but I wouldn't be surprised in a few years everyone is expected to put their hobbies and interests up top in all capital letters... next to their photo.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:43 PM

928 posts, read 1,096,537 times
Honestly, it works to your advantage. You don't want prospective employers to think you are too black, too white, too Asian, too fat, too skinny, etc before they have even had a chance to speak to you. Once you are in front of them in person, you can do a much better job of selling yourself and even if they have biases (they all do), you can overcome them more easily this way.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:52 PM

55 posts, read 69,616 times
I might give this a shot. So far I haven't done the social media thing and maybe it'll help get me a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search