Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 07:16 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times

Advertisements

What's keeping you from getting professional help? As the unofficial COO, you must make enough money to pay for it. It will cost you more money to not get therapy, because it affects your career and earnings.

Last edited by move4ward; 08-14-2014 at 07:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 07:49 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,901,711 times
I second checking for a medical reason like Tourette's and joining Toastmasters.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:06 PM

951 posts, read 1,140,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
"Talkers" and people who can pitch that do mediocre work are often favored over more talented people in many work places.

Unfortunately, I think you are going to encounter the same problem if you go to work for a new employer.

Better to tackle the problem first. Maybe go to an expert in Learning Disabilities. A speech therapist will only cover the physical part of a speaking problem. It could be how you are wired, similar to what a dyslexic goes through with reading.
You are right. I will have the same problem wherever I go. I am just terrible at conveying what I feel and think verbally. On the bright side, I am good at conveying things in writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
OP, you got some great advice! Follow through on it. Tell people at your work that you are starting speech classes (or whatever) and ask for their support. Hold you head up and work hard! You will get better.

I'm sorry your coworkers are so mean. You sound very intelligent! Not everyone has a golden tongue, but with practice (and maybe counseling) you will do better. Don't let this problem get the best of you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Yes, I agree.
Everyone has some drawbacks & challenges. Some are too obvious & mean people use them to make others miserable to feel better about their own insecurities. They are bullies. If it was me, I would do whatever I could to improve my speaking skills, become a BIG asset to the company, earn their respect & then ditch them for a better opportunity. Go for it & show them your worth.
Love this. Thank you.

Thank you all for your kind posts. I never got myself treated, because honestly, I never thought of myself as having a disability or a condition to be treated. I only thought of it as a weakness due to my own fault, and something that I just have to overcome someday. Recently, I discovered that there were others out there like me, and it could be a condition.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:32 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
I would look into a speech therapist. They would know what to do and work with you. Hang in there!

Old 08-15-2014, 06:21 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_land View Post
You are right. I will have the same problem wherever I go. I am just terrible at conveying what I feel and think verbally. On the bright side, I am good at conveying things in writing.

Love this. Thank you.

Thank you all for your kind posts. I never got myself treated, because honestly, I never thought of myself as having a disability or a condition to be treated. I only thought of it as a weakness due to my own fault, and something that I just have to overcome someday. Recently, I discovered that there were others out there like me, and it could be a condition.
Unfortunately, sometimes it takes a situation like this to reveal the need for help. I haven't had a physical issue like this, but I used to come across as a bit of a douche with people especially coworkers. It took several complaints and as you put it coworkers being embarrassed of me to become aware of my shortcomings. From there as long as you are not in denial fixing the problem is relatively easy.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:41 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Others have already given you great advice, so I'll just add one point. If there's an opportunity to present information internally, I would do that as much as possible. I worked with someone who, when nervous, would stutter. We didn't have her present to clients knowing how nervous she would be, and how bad she would feel, if she didn't do as well as her peers. But I insisted that she present the reports internally, feeling if she grew accustomed to doing that, it might help. And it did. She got to a point where, instead of stuttering the start of a word, she could feel herself growing tense and would pause and relax. I knew what she was doing - but clients didn't because they couldn't even tell she stuttered when nervous.

We ALL have challenges and fears that hold us back. We're lucky if we can identify them and have the courage to work on them, in an effort to grow.

I wish you the best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment