Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:15 AM

17,182 posts, read 15,382,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Doesn't work that way. Increasing the minimum wage does not cause a 100% price increase. Not even close. Cost-push inflation (wage hikes) is the weakest form of inflation.
My point is that the people previously making $15/hr, when min wage was around $8, should not be paid as low as the new minimum wage. Their salaries should increase too. Not by 100% (that was sarcasm) but at least by a significant amount, as to set them apart from min wage workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 09:23 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Ok but the fact of the matter is that tech jobs have been increasing significantly.

Google nearly doubled their workforce in four years. Ford has never grown that fast and neither has GM.
Ebay has double their workforce in four years, Amazon has grown THREE FOLD in four years etc.

So you might argue on raw numbers but the growth is sky high. Automotive is the last thing anyone wants to enter. It has been on the decline since the late 1970's. Unless you have a tech degree I wouldn't advocate for it because everything with cars these days is computerized and automated.
Indians are 1% of the population of Hillsboro but they are 17% of the workforce at Intel. Microsoft is laying off 18,000 skilled workers but petitioning for an increase in their H1B quota. This is constant and ongoing the clamoring form the tech sector to hire more offshore talent even while dismissing native talent as unnecessary, then claiming with a straight face that the talent just isn't here, we have no choice but to look for it offshore.

As for "automotive is the last thing anyone wants to enter?". Really? Not even the halving of the entry level salary for line work at UAW affiliated car companies has resulted in any failure of these companies to staff what factories remain withing U.S. borders.

H

Old 08-18-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
My point is that the people previously making $15/hr, when min wage was around $8, should not be paid as low as the new minimum wage. Their salaries should increase too. Not by 100% (that was sarcasm) but at least by a significant amount, as to set them apart from min wage workers.
Of course that is what should happen. "A rising tide lifts all boats". As to what will happen... anybody's guess. Genies do not willingly go back in the bottle. We have had generations of depressed low and middle class wages and the 1% are overdosed on profit and out of their minds with greed. It's unsustainable of course. You cannot have 600% growth year by year in only one sector of a macrocosm witho0ut an eventual 'correction'.

H

Old 08-18-2014, 09:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I need a citation.

This is just a FOX News phrase uttered by the pundits. FLSA meant any full time job was supposed to be livable.
Actually, it applied only to those industries tied to interstate commerce, and foreign trade related work, which means that at the time it would not have applied to local businesses.

"In its final form, the act applied to industries whose combined employment represented only about one-fifth of the labor force. In these industries, it banned oppressive child labor and set the minimum hourly wage at 25 cents, and the maximum workweek at 44 hours."

http://www.dol.gov/dol/aboutdol/history/flsa1938.htm

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/statutes...orStandAct.pdf

Old 08-18-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Our Jack n the Box already has this. You have the option to order through a person at the counter or use the touch screen located next to the counter. Based on how long it takes some people just to use self checkout lanes or Redbox, this could backfire if they don't also have someone at the counter taking orders, or have 6 or 7 order machines.
I am friendly with some of the cashiers at my supermarket. They only recently installed automated self-checkouts. I use them when I have 15 items or less. There is a master station that oversees the activities of all six stations. A human checker must monitor this station. I am told that 80% of customers cannot use the self-serve stations without human assistance. Many items need human authorization before the machine will accept them. Alcohol, cigarettes... razor blades... cough syrup... on the fast food side if 80% of customers will need help ordering from touchscreens there will still be work for human staff. Just fewer of them. Lots fewer. Tell the truth, when you shop at Safeway, how often is one of the self-serve stations "out of service"?

H

Old 08-18-2014, 09:46 AM

17,182 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I am friendly with some of the cashiers at my supermarket. They only recently installed automated self-checkouts. I use them when I have 15 items or less. There is a master station that oversees the activities of all six stations. A human checker must monitor this station. I am told that 80% of customers cannot use the self-serve stations without human assistance. Many items need human authorization before the machine will accept them. Alcohol, cigarettes... razor blades... cough syrup... on the fast food side if 80% of customers will need help ordering from touchscreens there will still be work for human staff. Just fewer of them. Lots fewer. Tell the truth, when you shop at Safeway, how often is one of the self-serve stations "out of service"?

H
Lol so true... Pretty much every time I go to BJ's, the self-serve checkout throws back an item, then pauses for an worker to clear the item. Often, these are just regular items such as everyday toiletries.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
$15.00 per hour x 40 hours x 52 weeks a year is just over $31,000/yr gross. Wow, yeah, someone is really going to have a lavish lifestyle on that kind of salary in 2014, huh?

The whole "$15.00 per hour, OMG!" is just a stupid thing the neo-cons have seized on. No one really believes the minimum wage is going to increase to that. Most realistic proposals are for around $10.00/hour. But, as pointed out, automation was going to happen eventually. Soon enough, a guaranteed basic income will come to the US as a result.
It's worse than that since some basic protections kick-in at 30 hours and thus many of these employers limit hours to less than 30 for the non-managerial staff. Worse they force the managers to stay up nights dreaming up impossible schedules for their workers such that they cannot work any other kind of job. Some workers must call in at 5am just to find out what time they start (or not) that day!

H

Old 08-18-2014, 10:32 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:

H
I absolutely despise using automated checkouts unless it's for one or two things with a barcode. While I think some people will lose their jobs, I don't see everyone voluntarily going to automated kiosk. They don't already.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:36 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I absolutely despise using automated checkouts unless it's for one or two things with a barcode. While I think some people will lose their jobs, I don't see everyone voluntarily going to automated kiosk. They don't already.
Maybe not now. It'll be a gradual transition. As older, relatively less-tech saavy generations continue to pass on, more and more automation will be phased in.

As another posted stated earlier, while they loathe the automated kiosks, their Millennial children love them, given they were born and raised in an era where they've always had to use computers to take care of business (they have pretty much been conditioned and programmed to using these automated kiosks).

Old 08-18-2014, 10:43 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
Quote:

H
I agree I only use the self-service checkout is if I have a handful of items. I too won't use it when purchasing alcohol but you have to wait around for someone else to ring it up if you get into a lane with a teenager working anyway (at least in Indiana). So for alcohol I look for an older cashier. Here, I believe, cigarettes have to be sold by a person because they have to be locked up behind the counter. However, at a fast food place, where they often can't ring my order up correctly anyway, I'd rather punch it in myself. Like you said, there will still be human staff, just fewer of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment