Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 12:50 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,912,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I can see it happening to some degree, but I really don't think they are going to get rid of all their cashiers. Too many Americans are helpless and refuse to do anything for themselves. I work with customers and I am surprised some haven't asked me to wipe their asses for them.
With that attitude, you need to go into another line of work.

Quote:
They are that helpless and can't figure things out and don't want to read directions.
Not quite. I have a Master's Degree, and I don't like self checkouts and self serve kiosks. For one, I like the human contact comes with interacting with a live cashier. I smile at them and say hello (assuming they have some semblance of a good attitude). I thank them after they check me out. For another, if I am a customer at a grocery store or restaurant, I don't want to have to do everything myself. I feel like I should get something for the money I spend. I don't like going to a restaurant, typing in my own order, paying for it, retrieving it when my number comes up, then clearing off the table. I might as well cook at home. It's about the same amount of work, and a lot more expensive.

Quote:
Walmart and Kroger haven't been able to get rid of all their cashiers.
No, they haven't. Why? Because many people have the same attitude as I do. The self checkouts are also annoyingly glitchy. My girlfriend is a diehard fan of the self checkouts for reasons that mystify me. When we go to Walmart, she always uses the self checkout and we invariably end up needing a human being anyway to override the computer's bad attitude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 02:06 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,819,762 times
I only use self checkouts if the order is easy and the other lines are long. Like no electronics, No produce and a small order. Otherwise it is too much of a problem.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:26 PM

35,565 posts, read 20,909,470 times
I don't know but I grew up in the city- in this case it was Philly and we would eat down town when we met my dad for something or other -and ate at Picadilly's/ Morrisons ,,, during my time- and I'm in my 60's-- we used quarters to get the best egg salad sandwich and cream pie in town out of a little window that would open with right amount of change... automation... been around a long time.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:28 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,425,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Millions of lower tier workers are going to end up on the welfare rolls. You really think they're all going to suddenly become Google engineers and programmers? Especially when you already have millions competing for those jobs which generally go to someone overseas anyway.
They're ON welfare rolls now, because they make less than a living wage.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:33 PM

things to go backwards,,, sometimes

Old 08-18-2014, 02:36 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,819,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
They're ON welfare rolls now, because they make less than a living wage.
But they will qualify for more welfare. It will basically turn into the McGovern welfare commercial but as a reality. If you don't know what I mean, if you're not on welfare, who do you think pays for it?

Old 08-18-2014, 02:45 PM

I heard a braniac commentary yesterday and said the jobs of the future are not for the blue collar work... and the middle men be the ones put out- as all is becoming automated, as paying bills on line, securing a flight or room, and so forth. So the money makers basically will be the inventors. The service jobs will always be around because of the wealthy just can't stand doing house work... and foods have time limits, so those will also need some people. That movie, Wal-e that's the future. When you see the mass production of robots,,, it is over.

Last edited by tinytrump; 08-18-2014 at 02:59 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 03:12 PM

7,915 posts, read 7,776,768 times
Well even after self checkout there's self scan. You scan the items as you put them in your cart and scan the end and it adds it all up. In the northeast we have several major supermarket chains so they often test things here before other areas.

All they have to do is discount it slightly and that acts to provide an incentive to do so.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:48 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,968,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I've seen some of the fast food strikers on TV, and they sound like they believe it. And the $15 wage is now a reality in some locations in Washington state.
$15 in Seattle is being phased in and will take effect in stages that start in 2017 and end in 2021, so it's not quite "now a reality", strictly speaking.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:53 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,230,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
$15 in Seattle is being phased in and will take effect in stages that start in 2017 and end in 2021, so it's not quite "now a reality", strictly speaking.

Its my understanding that the $15 minimum is already in effect in Seatac, however, a city that has a proportionately high percentage of minimum wage opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment