Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 10:58 PM

46 posts, read 59,399 times

Advertisements

Sick of working in digital marketing. Have been in and out of entry-level marketing jobs for 5 years now and it's time for a complete transition. I can't sit still but I love Tech and Tangible stuff (not boring data that cannot be touched like in the digital marketing space)

I know MOST jobs will have me sit down for the majority of the time but are there ANY IT/Tech positions that allow me to be a somewhat active? I wouldn't mind setting up networks and laptops. Stuff like that. ANYTHING but sitting down at a desk pretending to work for 40+ hours a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 11:35 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Sounds like you want to work Desktop Support.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Sounds like you want to work Desktop Support.
Can you elaborate a little more? Isn't desktop support purely a desk role?

Old 08-18-2014, 07:45 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,894 times
Desktop support are the people who fix other people's computers. The first few rounds of this are done over the phone; if that doesn't fix it, then someone goes to that person's office and fixes it, or the computer or phone is brought to the "depot" to be fixed.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:53 AM

514 posts, read 764,520 times
Desktop Support is a wonderful career if you like being at the bottom of the technology stack making very little above fast food wages.... As for some actually useful career advice, if you enjoy technology and like being on your feet, look into network engineering. As a network engineer, you will work on servers and manage network components to maximize efficiency and performance at the hardware level.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:14 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
Desktop Support is a wonderful career if you like being at the bottom of the technology stack making very little above fast food wages.... As for some actually useful career advice, if you enjoy technology and like being on your feet, look into network engineering. As a network engineer, you will work on servers and manage network components to maximize efficiency and performance at the hardware level.
Agree with that.

I'll generalize it even more - hardware. Newtork engineer is one title that works with hardware, and yeah, it can be a good one.

Much of the $ to be made is in software though, but there are good opportunities in hardware, just much fewer.

Best of luck.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:17 AM

8 posts, read 8,564 times
Desktop support is the pits; at this stage you could become a field technician and concentrate on prepping and deploying workstations. There's a lot of phone and remote management software client assistance with desktop support, and you'll be in front of the computer most of the time. A field tech is on the road a lot. It's not lucrative work given the field, but it's a good start that will keep you active. You could also be a freelance computer technician, fixing small things on neighbours' and friends computers and possibly document it for your resume.

As for gaining the experience that employers will inevitably ask for, try long-term volunteering as a website designer or if you really want to risk it, desktop support for some NPO run by a little old lady who can't let go of the past and has no idea what to do with computers, cutting years off your life and regretting everything.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:32 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Desktop support jobs are mostly low paid (<$15/hr), on short term contracts, and have no advancement opportunity. Stay away from that and help desk.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:11 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Desktop support jobs are mostly low paid (<$15/hr), on short term contracts, and have no advancement opportunity. Stay away from that and help desk.
Somebody's got to do it and if the o.p. has an attention defecit then I say go for it. Just saying, a lot of Cable companies are now in the business of Internet and Telephone and a journeyman installer is very active going around town and such. Pay isn't everything and $15/hr managed properly can do quite a bit. The reason so many of you can't make it on less than $20/hr and up can be spelled in three letters: c-a-r.

H

Old 08-18-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
Thanks, however I've never been to attracted to server side stuff. Honestly, my fear is that I'm too creative/ADD/unique for the field of IT. Many IT folks seem super nerdy and introverted. Not sure if i'm thinking about it too much or if that is a legitimate worry..

I'm thinking more on the lines of setting up conference rooms and helping employees/clients out (face to face). Any other titles in IT i should be looking at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment