Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 12:05 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,412 times

Advertisements

Now, I can't tell you what happens when the empire strikes back, if if the jedi will return , but I thought I should share some good news here.

I recently accepted a new job. This came as a surprise, but a very welcome one. The reason why I think this post can help is because I was in the same boat as many of you.

There were a few "strikes" against me:

1. No paid professional experience
2. I'd require training
3. I made a career change
4. No internship experience
5. I'm true "entry level"

I'll be honest, considering I was long-term unemployed the job search process was difficult. It is hard to not feel depressed, disheartened, and discouraged...even though those feelings aren't very productive. However, I had a lot of people to talk to for advice, access to resources, etc. They were my network. Although I wasn't actively networking as in handing out a business card or attending networking seminars, I made use of the people I knew.

How did I get this job? It took a lot of work and I spent a week preparing. I interviewed 4 times for a software development position. It included a timed assessment, at least 45 minutes of answering technical questions, and then meeting with 3 people.

I know a lot of people won't like to hear this, but my volunteer experience worked heavily in my favor. The supervisors from the volunteer position were my references and gave me strong recommendations. In addition, it helped to have something constructive to talk about. The experience provided a segue from my previous career, which helped the interviewers focus on what I could do now versus then. To make a career transition, you MUST do something productive with your time. I understand searching for a job is the top priority, but time management is also a necessary skill. Manage your time to incorporate experience while you job search. That doesn't mean you make a website and call it a day. Contact a non-profit, a small business, or ask around for people who can benefit from a website, a database, etc. The ability to demonstrate your skills within an actual business setting in IT (speaking generally here) is invaluable.

The job search is more miss than a hit. Many of the jobs out there claiming to be entry-level are really looking for someone who is junior-level or slightly above. Not truly entry-level, so finding a job where they'll provide training is tough but not impossible. I applied to positions where the ad specifically said "training provided." It was necessary for me to re-evaluate my expectations and priorities...at some point, I told myself if it means I have to take a job below 40K, so be it. I had to shift pay grade lower on the list and training near the top. Overall, I had to drastically change my expectations in order to have the right attitude.

In order to stay positive, I had to be very patient. I know that isn't ideal when your money is slowly draining away, time keeps passing, and your prospects look bleak. But finding a job will take time and it's up to each person to decide how they'll make the best use of their time. I believe every person who's unemployed can make the right combination of choices to speed up to their job search. I had some heavy strikes against me, but was able to make it happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 02:50 AM

250 posts, read 694,108 times
Vintage_girl,

Congratulations on achieving your new job! Due to your effort and attitude you are on your way!

You have given a gift to others who are searching for jobs and I hope they have ears to hear what you have said.

My best wishes go with you for your entire career.

hmrd

Old 08-18-2014, 03:17 AM

469 posts, read 637,371 times
Congratulations!

Great advice

Old 08-18-2014, 07:48 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Vintage_girl, this is a great success story and you're generous for sharing it.

I wish you the best of luck and much success, and hope you'll check in from time to time!

Old 08-18-2014, 12:33 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
I barely have time to volunteer though. I know it seems like I do when I'm posting here but posting on a message board is pretty passive for me. I want to get a better income of course but not at the expense of having to trade my survey time. Yada yada yada you don't have to do it all day but between doing my sites, taking care of my dogs, trying to sleep job searching and trying to squeeze in dance (because I feel worse when I don't exercise) I may have been too burnt out to do them lately for the past few days but I feel beyond horrible when I'm not doing anything to make money. It also costs to volunteer because you have to have the transportation to get there and I fail to see related volunteer work online.

I also try to ask the right people to help me and as soon as they encounter all of me, it's like I'm the plague. If my mentor who is in related field and is SUPPOSED to help me does not, then neither will someone there. I always get ignored by the people I need to pay attention to me. If I volunteer JUST to get a job, I'm going to wonder when it will pay off. I also have the know how to do the jobs I applied for, if that is not enough for employers then neither will volunteering. If my only option is volunteering then I might as well give up right now because I'm not good enough to get paid apparently.

The fact that that internship said something about how they're not picky and I gave them my all and they still didn't contact me, well that says a lot to me.

I know job search takes time but I've taken enough time by blowing the few chances I had. I feel like I've been looking for a job since I was born. I definitely am too long term unemployed.

I'm the ugly duckling but if I could at least get an employer to contact me, I might change my outlook.

I know I'm hard headed but I can't understand why volunteering is my only option when I know I can do it right at this very moment if only they gave me a chance. People have to be hiding jobs from me. There must be more out there that I am missing. The internet is so big you know there has to be a job somewhere out there for me I'm just not finding it.

I know this is supposed to be a hopeful thread but when you don't really care what random people think and your self esteem is low because of experiences, it's a lot harder to get you to listen.

I guess like I always say I'm different than everyone else because my mind is constantly on overdrive so I worry more about what's going to happen and if it's going to pay off. I literally even feel like sleep is a waste of time. That's how intense I am. I have yet to meet anyone else like me.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post

People have to be hiding jobs from me.

No, they're not. The only way people could "hide" jobs from you is if you knew a friend whose company had a desirable opening but they purposefully didn't share it with you.

Yes, this is supposed to be a hopeful thread. I made constant excuses myself. I was the queen of refusing to network. There were a lot of things I refused to do because I thought they were stupid. I was mad about the interview process, the job search process, mad toward managers, my lack of experience, etc. Then I realized getting mad wasn't productive either, so I did something about it. It took some time for it to yield results, but here I am.

There is just too much negativity on this board. Look at my situation-- yet here I am.

Last edited by Vintage_girl; 08-18-2014 at 01:19 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 10:56 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
No, they're not. The only way people could "hide" jobs from you is if you knew a friend whose company had a desirable opening but they purposefully didn't share it with you.

Yes, this is supposed to be a hopeful thread. I made constant excuses myself. I was the queen of refusing to network. There were a lot of things I refused to do because I thought they were stupid. I was mad about the interview process, the job search process, mad toward managers, my lack of experience, etc. Then I realized getting mad wasn't productive either, so I did something about it. It took some time for it to yield results, but here I am.

There is just too much negativity on this board. Look at my situation-- yet here I am.
I guess but I still think there's something out there that I'm missing. Think about it when you Google something you have to most of the time put the exact same term in or you will get different results every time. Remember how I said I saw a video by accident where you could hire people to make apps for you and not have to pay them a flat flee and when I looked it for the next day I couldn't find it? Like I said the internet is so big, I must be searching wrong.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I guess but I still think there's something out there that I'm missing. Think about it when you Google something you have to most of the time put the exact same term in or you will get different results every time. Remember how I said I saw a video by accident where you could hire people to make apps for you and not have to pay them a flat flee and when I looked it for the next day I couldn't find it? Like I said the internet is so big, I must be searching wrong.
I can say people who are successful in their job search don't rely on the internet as their top source. You HAVE to get out there and talk to people.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:11 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Now, I can't tell you what happens when the empire strikes back, if if the jedi will return , but I thought I should share some good news here.

I recently accepted a new job. This came as a surprise, but a very welcome one. The reason why I think this post can help is because I was in the same boat as many of you.

There were a few "strikes" against me:

1. No paid professional experience
2. I'd require training
3. I made a career change
4. No internship experience
5. I'm true "entry level"

I'll be honest, considering I was long-term unemployed the job search process was difficult. It is hard to not feel depressed, disheartened, and discouraged...even though those feelings aren't very productive. However, I had a lot of people to talk to for advice, access to resources, etc. They were my network. Although I wasn't actively networking as in handing out a business card or attending networking seminars, I made use of the people I knew.

How did I get this job? It took a lot of work and I spent a week preparing. I interviewed 4 times for a software development position. It included a timed assessment, at least 45 minutes of answering technical questions, and then meeting with 3 people.

I know a lot of people won't like to hear this, but my volunteer experience worked heavily in my favor. The supervisors from the volunteer position were my references and gave me strong recommendations. In addition, it helped to have something constructive to talk about. The experience provided a segue from my previous career, which helped the interviewers focus on what I could do now versus then. To make a career transition, you MUST do something productive with your time. I understand searching for a job is the top priority, but time management is also a necessary skill. Manage your time to incorporate experience while you job search. That doesn't mean you make a website and call it a day. Contact a non-profit, a small business, or ask around for people who can benefit from a website, a database, etc. The ability to demonstrate your skills within an actual business setting in IT (speaking generally here) is invaluable.

The job search is more miss than a hit. Many of the jobs out there claiming to be entry-level are really looking for someone who is junior-level or slightly above. Not truly entry-level, so finding a job where they'll provide training is tough but not impossible. I applied to positions where the ad specifically said "training provided." It was necessary for me to re-evaluate my expectations and priorities...at some point, I told myself if it means I have to take a job below 40K, so be it. I had to shift pay grade lower on the list and training near the top. Overall, I had to drastically change my expectations in order to have the right attitude.

In order to stay positive, I had to be very patient. I know that isn't ideal when your money is slowly draining away, time keeps passing, and your prospects look bleak. But finding a job will take time and it's up to each person to decide how they'll make the best use of their time. I believe every person who's unemployed can make the right combination of choices to speed up to their job search. I had some heavy strikes against me, but was able to make it happen.
Congrats!

Old 08-19-2014, 08:29 PM

983 posts, read 995,187 times
What a wonderfully inspirational story Vintage-girl. Congratulations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment