Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 01:25 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,966,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stygmata View Post
OP, please take this in the positive frame that I am presenting it to you with. As someone who has successfully fought through similar issues, have you considered speaking with a therapist? There are very real issues that could manifest in the ways that you describe in your post - and these issues are absolutely fixable. May be the best decision you have ever made if you make that first step. Good luck.
If I didn't have first hand experience in dealing with someone who goes through this, I would probably dismiss your problems as incompetence on your part. But since I do have that experience, so my heart goes out to you.

It sounds like you are really trying to do the right thing and your putting in a lot of effort. The problem is that you most likely have a disorder. I'm no expert so don't take my diagnosis that I'm about to give you as 100% accurate; go see a psychiatrist to confirm this. I believe that you definitely have ADHD and minor/moderate anxiety disorder.

I used to get upset at the person I have this experience with when I didn't understand what was going on with her. I was always thinking "why doesn't she just try harder?? Why is she always messing things up??" That's probably the attitude people at your job have towards you. But its because they don't know what your going through. Once I decided to open my mind and study/learn about what that person in my life was going through; I was shocked and saddened by how crippling ADHD and anxiety can be.

Trust me if you have the disorders I listed above then a lot of what you failed at is really NOT your fault. And I'm not just saying that to make you feel better, its a fact. Think of it this way: Is it fair to expect someone who has a broken leg to run as fast as someone without a broken leg? The answer is obvious. ADHD gives your brain the equivalent of a broken leg (so to speak). ADHD is such a serious condition that schools are legally required to give someone with that disorder more time to on scholastic activities. Even many tests you take for employment have to follow this requirement.

The good news is that with proper medication, self discipline and practicing certain techniques you can drastically minimize the effect's of these disorder's and lead quite a normal life. The person I know has seen a drastic improvement in her quality of life since she took those steps. The key is to get help as quick as possible. I wish you the best of luck. And to answer your question yes you are absolutely employable, just make sure to get treatment for your disorder's so employee's can see that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 03:06 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times
The more I think about it, perhaps some kind of attention disorder is likely. I'm currently a straight-A student, but my professor is flexible on deadlines most of the time. As an undergrad, I nearly failed a really easy introductory class because they were not flexible on deadlines, and I could not remember what projects I was supposed to complete and when I was supposed to turn in the work. I was humiliated. I'm sure no one understood why I was not doing well in such an easy class. I even got so stressed out that I forgot about the midterm.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:47 PM

379 posts, read 785,706 times
OP, while I'm not a psychologist, your introductory post screamed "I have an undiagnosed learning disability" to me. Some people earlier suggested ADD/ADHD, and I'd also recommend you get assessed for Nonverbal Learning Disability based on the content of your posts. Both these conditions commonly have comorbid anxiety and depression disorders. With a diagnosis you can get support, accommodations in the workplace, and develop a plan for getting into a career that's a good fit for you. I wish you all the best. :-)

Old 08-20-2014, 07:09 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
See a doc and apply for a Government job.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:18 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Sounds like it could be more than one issue, too. Some sort of inability to focus on things as well as some difficulty with social integration. It could be lack of training for the social stuff, but it could be temperament or as some earlier posters have mentioned, a condition of some sort. Asking for some professional diagnosis might be helpful. However, I've also seen some state agencies "help" people until they were broken, too. It goes give them more cases to work on if they never cure the ones they get, I guess. I haven't a clue how you go about finding a reputable therapist or diagnostician, but perhaps your college might know someone?

Old 08-22-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
perhaps your college might know someone?
They may. I think I should check there.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:58 AM

Okay, I got assessed for mild learning disabilities and an ASD, but I haven't gotten the results yet.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:54 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Are you spending a lot of time around people who make you nervous or put you down?

I ask because I used to have the same type of problem - I'd mess up somehow, and then my mother always made me feel like an incurable moron doomed to be hopeless at life, which made me even more mistake prone. Self fulfilling prophecy.

Then when I was 17, I gave my parents a giant middle finger and moved out and ceased contact.

As soon as I was out of that negative environment, I handled life just fine.

It's good that you got yourself evaluated, but be sure to evaluate those around you as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment