Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 10:12 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times

Advertisements

If the employee got the training and became more valueable and the company did not properly value them and they left then that is the incompetent companies fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 10:14 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If the employee got the training and became more valueable and the company did not properly value them and they left then that is the incompetent companies fault.
Pretty much.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:17 AM

435 posts, read 635,448 times
Not wanting to train someone is usually out of laziness, or being worried that you train someone so well that they take over your job.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:20 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
The notion of formal training is a relatively new thing in most industries. The biggest companies began doing it in the 1970's, but everyone else had 'on the job training' and were thrown into it, asking questions as they went along. It's tough to tell which resulted in better employees, because the employees of today are not cut from the same cloth as employees from yesteryear.

The area I find this is the biggest problem is management. People are being promoted to managers with no training and nobody bothering to mentor and groom the person. Mentoring is important to me and those I know, but I look at some of the 35 - 50 year old age group and they don't bother, so the people they're putting in as managers are floundering and few are self-motivated enough to pick up a book and learn how to manage people.

My departments have always had formal training sessions, but neither one of my kids had any kind of formal training at all. They just asked as they went along.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:26 AM

863 posts, read 1,196,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Loyalty works both ways.

When opportunities for promotions are limited, or your company is giving only COLA raises or no raises at all, then your employees will see you don't value them and they will go somewhere that does value them.

See the below post...

The bolded has been all but eliminated in the name of cost savings...

....or in other words, a higher profit margin. Because on the top, that's what it's all about today. Mo Money, Mo Money, Mo Money. Employees be damned.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:59 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
From a manager's perspective, training is tricky policy. Depending on what type of training, if it adds value and increases the compensation value of the employee it will be difficult to add because companies are afraid of turnovers.

There are many cases and examples that some employees after receiving training that cost $$$ leave in a few months later because they got what they need to increase their salary requirement elsewhere.

So most companies today would rather hire someone who has the skillset and other additional skillsets without needing additional training.

Sending workers to high skills training is a gamble.
Besides valuing employees more, the solution to this is rather simple. I worked for a security company that provided people with the training to receive their armed security licenses. If they quit before completing a certain number of months with the company, the cost of the training was deducted from their last paycheck. The Bexar County Sheriff's Office offers paid training to detention officer cadets. If you leave before completing a year on the job, they will prorate the cost of training based on how many months you worked and take that out of your last paycheck.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:33 AM

406 posts, read 559,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Besides valuing employees more, the solution to this is rather simple. I worked for a security company that provided people with the training to receive their armed security licenses. If they quit before completing a certain number of months with the company, the cost of the training was deducted from their last paycheck. The Bexar County Sheriff's Office offers paid training to detention officer cadets. If you leave before completing a year on the job, they will prorate the cost of training based on how many months you worked and take that out of your last paycheck.
That's similar to how company #1 I worked for handled tuition reimbursement. Initially (I'm sure they dropped this sweet benefit by now), employees could take any degree-seeking program related to their job and receive 100% tuition reimbursement. Reimbursement took place after each semester, after grades were verified.

The requirement was that the employee must stick around 1 year after receiving reimbursement or else they'd have to pay it back (at a pro-rated by month basis). I completed my graduate degree on this benefit; however, I moved on 8 months later to a different company. Because of this, I had to pay back around 33% of the tuition from my final semester.

I see tuition reimbursement in a different light than training though... Reimbursement is typically company-wide with a broad set of guidelines. Training is more career progression based and typically falls under the budget of your individual department or group.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:01 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I can understand that type of policy if this training was IN ADDITION to their actual job duties (as in employees have the choice to take it or leave it without it costing them their jobs).

But if the training itself was the actual job duties you assigned them and you're deducting money from their paycheck, it can get a company into legal trouble, as you're supposed to fully pay employees for all of the time they worked.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:20 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I can understand that type of policy if this training was IN ADDITION to their actual job duties (as in employees have the choice to take it or leave it without it costing them their jobs).

But if the training itself was the actual job duties you assigned them and you're deducting money from their paycheck, it can get a company into legal trouble, as you're supposed to fully pay employees for all of the time they worked.
These employees weren't performing any job duties; you can't even work as a security guard without a license. They were either in a security training class for their security license or in an academy for their jailer's license. These are things people can get on their own by paying out of their own pockets. These organizations were offering the training for free; it was actually paid training at the Sheriff's Office. Just for comparison, one can join in on the law enforcement academy at the Hays County Sheriff's Office, but you have to pay $1800 if you're not one of their cadets. After getting your license, you can apply to one of their open positions.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:27 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

The area I find this is the biggest problem is management. People are being promoted to managers with no training and nobody bothering to mentor and groom the person. Mentoring is important to me and those I know, but I look at some of the 35 - 50 year old age group and they don't bother, so the people they're putting in as managers are floundering and few are self-motivated enough to pick up a book and learn how to manage people.

While this is very true, there is another side. People are put into management positions and not given the capacity within their jobs to manage as they're still incredibly responsible for content. The corporations want them to mentor, train, develop their talent, but they're so busy with content that there isn't the capacity to do so. The management part of their job was just kind of tacked on to the responsibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment