Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 11:13 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,594,376 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I just sent a resume to Kelly Temp Services about a temporary position, but I didn't have a cover letter attached. Is that bad? Should I have sent a cover letter as well? I know the last temp service I used, it didn't matter... but, I'm not sure if it'd matter with other companies.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 11:59 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,554,597 times
Nay.

I look at the cover letter as a writing sample. It's necessary for many degreed career positions, especially a 4-year degree and beyond, but it's seems to be dropping out of favor in other places. I wouldn't use one for a temp agency or anywhere else where a job application gets filled out, unless they say otherwise in the ad, or you could phone them and ask a supervisor!

I might use one for a small, privately owned company if I knew the CEO wanted someone with solid traditional skills.

That also goes along with the trend of eResumes. When sending one of those, a long, detailed cover letter probably won't get read carefully. Less is more! In that case, I recommend using several persuasive sentences in the email showing the candidate is qualified so that someone actually reads and considers the resume:

"Jane Brown recommended that I apply for the computer tech II opening. I have five successful years of working at a Help Desk and will graduate with an AS in IT next month. I have attached my resume." (for this example, Jane Brown is a known employee with a good work ethic)

That's those sort of short message that will sell a candidate.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:02 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,420,698 times
No cover letter but a paragraph or two on what you are looking for. Put this in the body of an email with a resume attached.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:08 PM

Thanks everyone. In the career objective I wrote, "Looking for a temporary only position as career exploration for my skills in writing, planning, and organizing." In the e-mail I introduced myself and told them I was looking for a temporary position.

I figured as much. I'm looking for something here as a filler until I can move (of course, I won't say that). That's great to know as a general rule as well. When I send out my relocation packet, I often wondered how many employers read the cover letter.

Thanks again!

Old 08-21-2014, 12:34 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,554,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
In the career objective I wrote, "Looking for a temporary only position as career exploration for my skills in writing, planning, and organizing."
I would use a job objective. A career objective is more for upper level salary positions and yours sounds a bit young. Not trying to be insulting! But you are up against laid-off workers in their 40s and 50s.

Job Objectives:

Temporary Office Assistant
Night Clerk at Motel 6
Maintenance II Worker at Lutheran Hospital

In these examples, they are the job titles from the ad.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I would use a job objective. A career objective is more for upper level salary positions.

Job Objectives:

Temporary Office Assistant
Night Clerk at Motel 6
Maintenance II Worker at Lutheran Hospital
Thank you for all of your help. I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment