Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 01:28 PM

104 posts, read 297,348 times

Advertisements

My employer "engaged" a consulting company "to conduct an assessment of the HR services provided".

The survey's structure is as follows:

For each activity and function, please rate:

Its importance in achieving [our company's] strategic goals, and
How well it is being performed by Employee Services

Some of the items on the list:

"Administering payroll including taking deductions, gross to net calculations, paycheck production, garnishments, tax reporting"

"Communicating the value of compensation, retirement benefits, healthcare, and work/life programs (PTO, flexible schedules, etc.)"

I'm supposed to rate the importance of these activities in the achieving of strategic goals from Low to High, as well as rate HR's performance from Poor to Excellent.

Well, I suppose it's important that they produce my paycheck every month, and since I received it on time for the past 3+ years, they are doing OK.

There are about 60 items like this. I wonder how much they paid the consulting company. Is this just a sham, so that people think HR is actually doing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 01:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,757,203 times
We did a similar workplace survey, and our company took the results to heart. We got better and cheaper benefits, more options for insurance, better retirement planning and a bunch of other stuff based on the survey results.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:36 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,805,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
We did a similar workplace survey, and our company took the results to heart. We got better and cheaper benefits, more options for insurance, better retirement planning and a bunch of other stuff based on the survey results.

Yeah, same here. We got a new benefits provider and some new benefits (pre tax transit cards, etc) out of it.

Don't see anything to hate about feedback being asked for.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:13 PM

12,073 posts, read 23,159,429 times
We do similar surveys every year. It sounds like you already hate HR and are looking for people to jump on your bandwagon.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, same here. We got a new benefits provider and some new benefits (pre tax transit cards, etc) out of it.

Don't see anything to hate about feedback being asked for.
Well, isn't it an HR job to do these things? Don't they know without spending thousands of dollars on a survey that there are better benefits providers out there? Not to mention the paycheck question, or tax reporting question. They are required by law to send me W2 and report my earnings to IRS. What's to evaluate there?

Old 08-21-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
We do similar surveys every year. It sounds like you already hate HR and are looking for people to jump on your bandwagon.
I don't really "hate HR", although some of my interactions with some of their representatives were slightly annoying. Like when they lost my I-9 twice, once along with a copy of my SS card.
Also, I'm glad people really get something positive from surveys like this. Still, I'd rather not waste an hour of my time deciphering the questions.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:20 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,368,437 times
Most people don't hate HR for their role in benefits administration, they hate them for jerking them arround with quackery and bigotry during hiring and pretending to be your friend while acting as spies for management.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:08 PM

217 posts, read 313,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Most people don't hate HR for their role in benefits administration, they hate them for jerking them arround with quackery and bigotry during hiring and pretending to be your friend while acting as spies for management.
And for being the biggest gossip in the office

Old 08-21-2014, 03:09 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,511,667 times
BoredandCurious, these are standard company surveys. I'm not getting the connection between you getting a survey and your statement in the title of the thread that "this is why people hate HR." It makes no sense.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
BoredandCurious, these are standard company surveys. I'm not getting the connection between you getting a survey and your statement in the title of the thread that "this is why people hate HR." It makes no sense.
I should've probably titled it "This is why I hate HR", but I can't change the title now. Mods, could you please delete this thread? I was just venting. Clearly, nothing of value in here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment