Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 04:30 AM

788 posts, read 1,248,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
Today at work a number of team members got below-average performance reviews. They lamented endlessly about it, complaining about how it was undeserved and how they accomplished so much. This is not uncommon for employees to do -- you hear about it all the time. I just laugh at these things. Don't people realize that it is the company's job to push you in the dirt? Do people need their companies to fawn over them in order to raise their self-esteem? If you want a raise in this economy, let's face it: you need to be prepared to look for a new job every two years. It's just so silly.
I am curious, are you just trolling, or is this supposed to be serious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 08:50 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
Today at work a number of team members got below-average performance reviews. They lamented endlessly about it, complaining about how it was undeserved and how they accomplished so much. This is not uncommon for employees to do -- you hear about it all the time. I just laugh at these things. Don't people realize that it is the company's job to push you in the dirt? Do people need their companies to fawn over them in order to raise their self-esteem? If you want a raise in this economy, let's face it: you need to be prepared to look for a new job every two years. It's just so silly.
Frankly ~ either you are one horrible manager which is why a number of your team got below average ratings OR you just make this stuff up.

I can't tell which.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
They take reviews personally, because it is personal. You are talking about their performance, skills and livelihood. It doesn't get much more personal than that
Bingo. It really doesn't take a genius to figure this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
That forced ranking curve is a joke. Usually the top section is 5% or less, and unevenly distributed through the company (that is, only favored managers are allowed to give out ANY top rankings). Which means you can bust your butt all you want, you're still not getting the top rating.
Yep. And why a large number of the workforce no longer wants to bust their butt. It's unappreciated and certainly not compensated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
I think the former.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:10 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,171,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Not necessarily,

Post-recession, companies aren't promoting from within or giving performance raises nearly like they used to prior to the recession, since they all have tighter budgets.

One could be the best worker in the organization, but a company isn't just going to create a position out of thin air for said worker unless there is a need to fill. As a result, said best worker takes their talent elsewhere, where they will get the raise/promotion they deserve.
By that logic, why would a post-recession company then reach out to the unproven and unknown in a labor pool to provide advancement? Most professionals can't even establish themselves in a position in less than a year. And, if you take on a position for "x" salary and then, in 2 short years, feel unappreciated because you haven't been given a large promotion and salary increase, the problem is likely with you. The vast majority of people don't make an enormous impact in that short of a time period. So, if you are job hopping every two years because you don't feel appreciated, it is highly likely that the people writing the paycheck are viewing you as an under-qualified malcontent.

Basically, unless you are provided an enormous, guaranteed offer to move elsewhere within the time period, you should take a position with the intent of staying on for at least 3 years and you should negotiate your compensation as such. Job hopping will kill your career.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:08 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,607,166 times
Quote:
Because they are "personal"="about them"...DOH!

You have a horrible attitude! They are not working for themselves! They are working for "someone else", and to have that "someone else" treat you like garbage for showing up to work for "them" daily, is $****ty & insulting! Employees are not slaves. They work to live, pay for their $hit, they don't want to sit on welfare or worst!

Old 08-23-2014, 10:35 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,280 times
Wow, you're a genius. Performance reviews are personal because the employee doesn't want to lose their job and know they're walking on eggshells.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:57 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,736,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
By that logic, why would a post-recession company then reach out to the unproven and unknown in a labor pool to provide advancement? Most professionals can't even establish themselves in a position in less than a year. And, if you take on a position for "x" salary and then, in 2 short years, feel unappreciated because you haven't been given a large promotion and salary increase, the problem is likely with you. The vast majority of people don't make an enormous impact in that short of a time period. So, if you are job hopping every two years because you don't feel appreciated, it is highly likely that the people writing the paycheck are viewing you as an under-qualified malcontent.

Basically, unless you are provided an enormous, guaranteed offer to move elsewhere within the time period, you should take a position with the intent of staying on for at least 3 years and you should negotiate your compensation as such. Job hopping will kill your career.
It is essentially a catch-22, based on fear from both sides. So both sides are reacting accordingly...

Everyone is on edge given the uncertain economic environment. Debt-laden companies are struggling to stay solvent, while debt-laden individuals are struggling to keep up with their bills.

Ultimately though, the chips will have to fall where they may. If employers are afraid to invest in their employees, then they will have to accept the fact that job hopping is going to be the new norm...

Last edited by 313Weather; 08-23-2014 at 11:07 AM..

Old 08-23-2014, 11:43 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,786,210 times
I get role model status on my reviews every year but zero raise for 5 years now. It's nice to hear but I'd rather have the "meets expectation" standard and a raise.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:02 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
They take reviews personally, because it is personal. You are talking about their performance, skills and livelihood. It doesn't get much more personal than that
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Yeah, that.
I agree and thought it should be obvious that it is personal, it strikes at the heart of every employee who gets up daily to go to work and invest a third of their life (if they're fortunate enough to have a full time job) to earn a living, pay their bills, support themselves/their families and maybe buy a pizza and rent a movie at the end of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Because how well people did on their performance review will play a factor in them keeping or losing their job, which is how they earn money to survive.

It's simple, really. Let's not be thick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Many times performance reviews are popularity reviews and that is personal. At the end of my Father's career (he was a teacher) He was with a principal for 30 years before she retired. The new Principal decided to F with all the old teachers transfering one with a bad leg up to the fifth floor, giving bad performance reviews to the older teachers including my dad for no defensible reasons, belittling them, scheduling pointless meetings long after hours. It is pretty much another facet to this work is a social club BS that is a drag and morale and drain on American businesses.
A perfect example of what office politics disguised as performance reviews can do to help grind managements ax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Because they are "personal"="about them"...DOH!

You have a horrible attitude! They are not working for themselves! They are working for "someone else", and to have that "someone else" treat you like garbage for showing up to work for "them" daily, is $****ty & insulting! Employees are not slaves. They work to live, pay for their $hit, they don't want to sit on welfare or worst!
I could not have said any of this any better!

Old 08-23-2014, 05:09 PM

22,444 posts, read 11,969,169 times
Oh...I take it personally when I come to work on time everyday and get just about worked to death all the while never hearing any negative comments. Then the review comes along giving me "less than satisfactory" because the 2 people I worked for remembered every minor thing that went wrong over the months yet never said a word to me. Many were things that involved miscommunication on their part. For example, one boss would ask me to call another department because she wanted something. I would call and they would ask "Did she do X? And did she submit Y?" I would have no clue because she didn't tell me. So naturally, she didn't get what she wanted. I would tell her what happened when I called and let her know what she needed to do and would get a dirty look in return. Because of things like that, I was told during my review that I wasn't "assertive enough".

I could go on and on. Of course I took this very personally---who wouldn't? I had always gotten good reviews wherever I worked and didn't want a bad one showing up in my file. So, I quit that job and did temp work for a while. Then I ended up getting a better job and worked with the best boss I ever had in my life.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:37 PM

11,361 posts, read 9,274,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
Nice call because I'm not buying it either. Especially this:
Quote:
Don't people realize that it is the company's job to push you in the dirt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment