Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:06 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
The larger pool of workers has also diminished the pay of those who do work.
Certainly that can be true to a point but that is also coupled with technology and more open markets.

Some of the most blatant forms of racism in the country were not the stereotypical southerners you might think of but rather people up north that did not want to compete with more workers.

At the same point the reduction of pay incentives organizations to do things cheaper or faster and to sell the products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 08:32 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Certainly that can be true to a point but that is also coupled with technology and more open markets.

Some of the most blatant forms of racism in the country were not the stereotypical southerners you might think of but rather people up north that did not want to compete with more workers.

At the same point the reduction of pay incentives organizations to do things cheaper or faster and to sell the products.
If anything, a reduction of wages and an increase in profits usually just ends up going to shareholders and executives. It is rare that savings get passed along to the end consumer.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:57 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
If anything, a reduction of wages and an increase in profits usually just ends up going to shareholders and executives. It is rare that savings get passed along to the end consumer.
It is the wages. If companies can pay low they will. Why would anyone pay more than they think they can when they can virtually find someone to replace them.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:32 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
I think the American dream is still there a little bit, but it will be VERY hard to accomplish this due to the MASSIVE student loan debt that faces our kids. They are just starting out life and ALL that I know in my kid's class will have over $100K debt. I don't know how they figure the average debt to be less. Not in Pennsylvania. I wish the debt would be $40K, but that isn't doable at all. Maybe I need to be on welfare and I could get a better rate? Don't know.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:53 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
If anything, a reduction of wages and an increase in profits usually just ends up going to shareholders and executives.
This is the crux of the matter. American business is more so these days about growing the money rather than growing the business. There are myriad things a government can do to place the focus on job growth, but many of those things work against "growing the money" and so they're no longer on the menu, due (again) to the fundamental policy reversals traceable to changes in our nation 35-40 years ago.

Back then, I remember how much focus there was in the executive suites on recognizing the "stakeholders" of a business - the shareholders were just one of four equal parties. CEO after CEO would outline for me just how they were building their business to serve investors, employees, customers and society. The acknowledgement of having "skin in the game" other than money is gone now. All that matters is the money - not people, not commitments, not relationships, not quality, not the product or service being offered.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:35 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Quote:
Then how does that explain Amazon It's been nearly 20 years without a profit and yet so much is given away.

How does that explain market basket?

Products keep getting better. How much does a phone call cost now vs a generation ago? How about video teleconferencing? If product A and product B are the same the only thing they can market it on is price.

What about access? I live in the northeast. I didn't even see a avocado until a few years ago in a supermarket. Middle eastern food wasn't even in supermarkets 15 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment