Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 11:15 PM

32 posts, read 69,157 times

Advertisements

A few months ago I applied for a position on usajobs. I went through the application process and I was required to name jobs I had been fired from in the past 5 years and give all the information about them. I was fired from a job a couple months ago and I included that information on the application, but I was also released from another position almost a year ago as well, and I did not include information about that job. It was very brief, less than two weeks, and I was never given a reason, nor did they inform me until I contacted them to see why I wasn't called in (it was an on-call job). I was able to receive unemployment benefits afterwards with no trouble from my former employer.

The form that asked for the information was the Declaration of Federal Employment form 306, under line 12.

http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf

I got hired on and I have been here for nearly two months now and I haven't heard anything from anyone. I am concerned now, however, because I heard how another person was fired about 6 months after he was hired for falsifying information on his application.

So, should I be worried? Can and will they be conducting some sort of thorough background check and can I get in trouble for omitting that bit of info, assuming they find out about it, which I'm sure they can if they're the federal government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 07:24 AM

832 posts, read 1,417,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gesa88 View Post
A few months ago I applied for a position on usajobs. I went through the application process and I was required to name jobs I had been fired from in the past 5 years and give all the information about them. I was fired from a job a couple months ago and I included that information on the application, but I was also released from another position almost a year ago as well, and I did not include information about that job. It was very brief, less than two weeks, and I was never given a reason, nor did they inform me until I contacted them to see why I wasn't called in (it was an on-call job). I was able to receive unemployment benefits afterwards with no trouble from my former employer.

The form that asked for the information was the Declaration of Federal Employment form 306, under line 12.

http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf

I got hired on and I have been here for nearly two months now and I haven't heard anything from anyone. I am concerned now, however, because I heard how another person was fired about 6 months after he was hired for falsifying information on his application.

So, should I be worried? Can and will they be conducting some sort of thorough background check and can I get in trouble for omitting that bit of info, assuming they find out about it, which I'm sure they can if they're the federal government.
They'll contact you to address any discrepancies in your work history. They might send you a letter or e-mail about 6 months after you start letting you know that they found the discrepancy and you're subject to termination. They'll give you at least 30 days to respond and explain.

If they determine that you intentionally falsified your employment history, they will terminate your employment.

If they determine it was an honest mistake or it was not material, they will update your records and move on.

So yes. I would be worried.

Intentional falsification is grounds for termination regardless of how long you've been employed with them. This is true whether or not the probationary period is over.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:34 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times
I suspect that the job the OP refers to falls into the category of immaterial. Less than two weeks, on call.

There isn't much to be done about it now other than sit and wait.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:56 AM

832 posts, read 1,417,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I suspect that the job the OP refers to falls into the category of immaterial. Less than two weeks, on call.

There isn't much to be done about it now other than sit and wait.
True. But I wouldn't be that confident it's immaterial. All federal jobs require public trust. Intentional falsification of employment records would be a violation for which termination is a relatively common action.

The OP has a friend who lost their job for this reason, so they know first hand the relevance of telling the truth. If the OP chose to intentionally misrepresent information on his/her background, termination would be an appropriate response.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:33 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,681,436 times
Don't worry about it.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:47 PM

435 posts, read 635,342 times
Many people make mistakes on these online job applications. Its quite common. The worst that could happen is that they won't hire you or will let you go from the job.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:47 PM

Since it's a federal job, will they for sure be able to find out about it, assuming they try to look? Will they for sure look at some point in the future in some sort of background check?

I didn't even know that guy who got fired and I don't really know how or why he was fired, other than it had something to do with falsifying something on his application. I don't know what was falsified.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:42 PM

Bump.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:51 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,559,522 times
We don't know the duration of the omitted job or the circumstances of discharge. If it was brief and the discharge was because of issues such as a reduction in force - not for cause, then the OP could consider asking to amend his resume because of a thoughtless omission.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:41 PM

435 posts, read 635,342 times
What is their definition of "fired"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search