Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 12:48 AM

19 posts, read 23,388 times

Advertisements

So looking on my history, I have had a very difficult time committing, and based on what I "feel" like at the time, interest inventories have given me different suggestions on what to pick as a career through the years. Heres my history to give you a picture of me:

-In high school, I was very artistically inclined. I drew alot, and had a fair level of talent, won alot of competitions.

-after high school, I went to community college to get general course credits and take graphic design courses which seemed reasonable considering my art interest. At some point in the process, it was after taking typography, I realized that I didn't enjoy the idea of graphic design, especially if I wasn't going to be making much money. I think the fact it wasn't what I had envisioned an art career to be really turned me away. Also, I guess I started to realize that perhaps I wasn't cut out for art. I hear you need to network, and I am very introverted. I also didn't "get" the creative bone alot of artists have. My talent was rendering and making things look photo-realistic, not coming up with brilliant new ideas.

-I then tried drafting courses, working with AutoCAD, and it was mentioned to me that they make poor wages and they don't compare to the wages you see with engineers and you get burned out fast working this kind of job, and I would like to make higher wages, but I am unable to handle the math and science requirements for engineer work.

-I then started looking in other directions, starting with GIS for one reason or another, got a feeling there weren't jobs in the field, so dropped out of that.

-I then considered web design, but didnt like the idea of that because I didn't see the demand or the pay scale that I would want.

-At this point, I started working at a hospital in the kitchen, and while there I started looking for opportunities within. I looked into being a clinical lab technician, but decided against it because I don't care for blood smears or urine, and I have heard the work is incredibly tedious.

-Now I am currently trying to decide what to do from here, I am looking currently at industrial design. I like the idea that it seems like the medium between engineering and art, but I am told it is extremely competitive and I don't really want to spend time going to school for something where jobs won't be available at the end. Also, I think I just want a job I can sit down and do easily enough, that will engage me, but won't push me to be overly imaginative, just simple work really, that also can provide good wages.

-One thing to note is I enjoy planning and scheduling my days. In the past year I have developed a scheduling system to take advantage of my days. Unfortunately, I'm still not where I want to be in my life, but its kind of cool to see myself following steps I set for myself throughout the day.

Its discouraging to me to see my friends from high school getting their lives together, getting married, getting good paying jobs, getting their **** together, and I am still twiddling my thumbs. I need to change something, but I don't know what. I hope from what I've shared above, something can be drawn from it to inspire or lead me in a coherent direction.

TLDR: please read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 04:20 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
You've given up on many things for reasons that are legitimate for you but will be viewed as sloth by others. I was just reading another thread about how many middle-aged folks have returned home to parents (in the context of how that messes up retirement planning) which indicates something important in the context of your question: Things are a lot harder now than they've been in a generation or two, so trying to plod through the next few decades in the same way your parents did is probably going to be a lot less successful than it was for them. You can take that two ways: Either read back over your own history and recognize these as problems you need to fix:
Quote:
Originally Posted by overground55 View Post
I didn't enjoy the idea of ... I am unable to handle the math and science requirements for ... got a feeling there weren't jobs in the field, so dropped out of that ... didnt like the idea of that because I didn't see the demand or the pay scale that I would want ... I don't care for ... and I have heard the work is incredibly tedious ... I don't really want to spend time going to school for something where jobs won't be available at the end ...
... or realize that your perspective on work combined with the path the labor economy is on means you're going to have to significant modify (lower) your expectations for your life. That's not a crime. It's not horrible. It's actually something most people could stand to do at least a little bit (including myself). Many of us have set our expectations so high that a great portion of our happiness, a great portion of our satisfaction for life, is eaten up by the unfulfilled nature of expectations that were not well-founded to start with. There is a fine line between sloth, on the one hand, and careful, considered analysis of prospects and setting of more reasonable (perhaps lower) expectations, on the other hand.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:10 AM

788 posts, read 1,249,040 times
Quote:
I realized that I didn't enjoy the idea of graphic design, especially if I wasn't going to be making much money.
and it was mentioned to me that they make poor wages
or the pay scale that I would want.
that also can provide good wages.
This is the first thing that I noticed when reading your opening post. You want money, well, to make money, you need to work hard. And you give the impression that you are not willing to put in the effort to work hard.

Quote:
I hear you need to network, and I am very introverted.
I also didn't "get" the creative bone alot of artists have. My talent was rendering and making things look photo-realistic, not coming up with brilliant new ideas.
but I am unable to handle the math and science requirements for engineer work.
I looked into being a clinical lab technician, but decided against it because I don't care for blood smears or urine, and I have heard the work is incredibly tedious.
because I didn't see the demand
Also, I think I just want a job I can sit down and do easily enough, that will engage me, but won't push me to be overly imaginative, just simple work really, that also can provide good wages.
So, you are introverted and not good at math and science. That does provide a direction.
But then also seem to come across as lazy. And with your nose stuck up for hard work, more menial work or tedious work. And you seem to base a lot of decision on what you perceivem but have you actually checked the facts?

I do not know what kind of career you should pursue, perhaps a career counselor can help you with that. But I can tell you that every career requires hard, starting at the bottom and making wages that are not going to be very high at the start.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:01 AM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
If you like Art then Graphic Design is in VERY high demand. I am 26 in the e-commerce field. Its been a very lucrative career for me. I work closely with a lot of graphic designers and they have pretty cushy schedules and make good money. I start out making 38K. Now I make around 90K.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:43 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
You've given up on many things for reasons that are legitimate for you but will be viewed as sloth by others. I was just reading another thread about how many middle-aged folks have returned home to parents (in the context of how that messes up retirement planning) which indicates something important in the context of your question: Things are a lot harder now than they've been in a generation or two, so trying to plod through the next few decades in the same way your parents did is probably going to be a lot less successful than it was for them. You can take that two ways: Either read back over your own history and recognize these as problems you need to fix: ... or realize that your perspective on work combined with the path the labor economy is on means you're going to have to significant modify (lower) your expectations for your life. That's not a crime. It's not horrible. It's actually something most people could stand to do at least a little bit (including myself). Many of us have set our expectations so high that a great portion of our happiness, a great portion of our satisfaction for life, is eaten up by the unfulfilled nature of expectations that were not well-founded to start with. There is a fine line between sloth, on the one hand, and careful, considered analysis of prospects and setting of more reasonable (perhaps lower) expectations, on the other hand.
Great thoughts by bUU.

OP, look into UX design. Best of luck.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:12 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Great thoughts by bUU.

OP, look into UX design. Best of luck.
I was going to propose the same thing. But you do need to commit to working your way up.

Although web design may not pay what you like web developers get paid very well....but they are more technical than your average designer.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:50 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
It is very hard to find a good UI designer who can take the technical back end and make it presentable and efficient for users.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:23 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,445 times
Try to go to a technical institute like Miller Monte or ITT technical college & discuss with them about your interests. They have customized courses for different fields. You could start doing internships to build some good references & get some hands on experience. You need to stick with the program & do some undesirable, boring tasks occasionally without giving up. Not everyone enjoys their jobs 100%. We have to accept some tasks that dont interest us at all. When you start working its not as if you are stuck in that field forever. You can get some experience & move on to a related field. Just get in the habit of doing a job & focus on improving your resume.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:28 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,807,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Try to go to a technical institute like Miller Monte or ITT technical college.
Quite pricey!
especially compared to commmunity colleges

Old 08-25-2014, 09:09 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
Quite pricey!
especially compared to commmunity colleges
"It takes money to make money" - Lots of people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment