Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 09:49 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,426,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
How do you know it's not PTSD? Are you a therapist?
Indeed - no poster on here should be indicating whether or not PTSD is any kind of valid diagnosis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I was one of the people suggesting the op see a therapist, so this would be flushed out during those sessions.

I may not be a certified therapist but I read and have no problem comprehending what I'm reading. You aren't interested in educating yourself, which is fine, but it makes you look foolish for chiming in with nonsense.

I would love for you to go into a room filled with veterans, rape victims, assault victims, etc., and tell them that you think being terminated could cause ptsd. They would surely do a better job of educating you.
That's a bit harsh. For instance, you have NO IDEA what his poster may or may not have suffered in her younger years/childhood - that could make something like this very traumatic. It could be a 'trigger' for those of familiar with the nuances of PTSD.

As someone who has had PTSD for reasons I certainly won't disclose here ~ workplace 'violence' could qualify even if it was all emotional in nature.

Don't be too hasty, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 12:21 PM

435 posts, read 633,811 times
I've heard that one of the most stressful incidents in life, according to psychiatrists, is job loss. Its wrong to tell someone that they don't have post traumatic stress disorder from it.

Just because its not as serious as rape or having a long term illness, doesn't mean it is not stressful.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:25 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,511,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Indeed - no poster on here should be indicating whether or not PTSD is any kind of valid diagnosis.

That's a bit harsh. For instance, you have NO IDEA what his poster may or may not have suffered in her younger years/childhood - that could make something like this very traumatic. It could be a 'trigger' for those of familiar with the nuances of PTSD.

As someone who has had PTSD for reasons I certainly won't disclose here ~ workplace 'violence' could qualify even if it was all emotional in nature.

Don't be too hasty, IMO.

Ringo, I generally agree with your posts, but if the op suffered something else in their younger years - that would be the cause of the ptsd. Not being terminated. Being terminated may have triggered it, but it's not the cause.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:43 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,707,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
I've heard that one of the most stressful incidents in life, according to psychiatrists, is job loss. Its wrong to tell someone that they don't have post traumatic stress disorder from it.

Just because its not as serious as rape or having a long term illness, doesn't mean it is not stressful.
As far as the bolded, that's very true. This is especially if you're informed that you'll be losing your job in a way that's apathetic and impersonal.

That's why I don't understand the folks in this thread who are playing internet Psychiatrists and concluding that certain things don't need to certain mental disorders when they have no idea of what they're talking about.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post

Yes, I agree that it can be very stressful - but some of you seem to lack the understanding of what ptsd is.

Here is the definition of ptsd:

a condition following trauma: a psychological condition affecting people who have suffered severe emotional trauma as a result of an experience such as combat, crime, or natural disaster, and causing sleep disturbances, flashbacks, anxiety, tiredness, and depression

If any of you can find something to back what you're saying - that being terminated can cause ptsd, then kindly post it.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:56 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,707,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Yes, I agree that it can be very stressful - but some of you seem to lack the understanding of what ptsd is.

Here is the definition of ptsd:

a condition following trauma: a psychological condition affecting people who have suffered severe emotional trauma as a result of an experience such as combat, crime, or natural disaster, and causing sleep disturbances, flashbacks, anxiety, tiredness, and depression

If any of you can find something to back what you're saying - that being terminated can cause ptsd, then kindly post it.
None of us are Psychiatrists here, so we can't answer your question as to whether job loss causes PTSD or not...

You're the only one saying, without a doubt, that job loss does not cause PTSD.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:31 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,893,754 times
I have been fired three times in my career. I have had numerous jobs, and I will tell you this: at all three jobs, I was very relieved to be fired because I hated all of them. But I don't believe in quitting a job, so when my boss fired me, I was ready to go on to the next challenge in my life and very happy about it. One of those jobs sounded very similar to yours: it was extremely monotonous and boring. After just a few days I thought I would go crazy doing it. When they fired me, I told them, Thanks for doing me that favor."

Old 08-24-2014, 02:42 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,577,785 times
Don't feel so bad. I was once fired from a job for being unhappy. I was unhappy because one of my co-workers was being verbally abusive and escalating to the point that I was afraid it would get physical. It got so bad I was having anxiety attacks on the way to work every day. When I tried to talk to my boss about it he just shrugged it off and told me to learn t get along with the guy.

So I managed to be so nice to this jerk no matter what he said or did that we actually in a little time got along really well. Meanwhile I was also looking or another job and had just found one and was going to give notice when the boss set his assistant managers to fire me for being unhappy at work.

Shortly after that HR sent me an exit interview letter asking for the reason I chose to leave the job...

I sent them a very log response explaining tat I did not voluntarily quit and exactly what went on and why I left as well as a few other details about my ex-employer's behavior.

A short time later I heard through the grape vine that he was waiting tables at Red Lobster.

Karma is awesome that way.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:02 PM

Ringo, here is a post that will explain what the markers are for stress, versus acute stress disorder, versus ptsd if you want a clearer understanding of this.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:08 PM

867 posts, read 1,583,917 times
ok everyone, forget the PSTD, forget that this was a temp job. Look at this way:

I was told by the employment agency that this was a Temp to Hire position. Surely you all know that those really do exists?

Ok. So I go into the job all happy and excited and quickly find out that it's boring and not at all the type of job that was presented to me during the interview.

And, to top it off, the Crazy Manager didn't know anything about it being a 6 month Temp to Hire position, so clearly someone was lying to someone (me). But I need a job because the economy sucks and so I decide to wait it out until I find another job.

Then, the manager tells me that she would like to hire me but there was a freeze on hiring until September. Also, I had gone on a job interview and she found out (long story) and told me that she would like to hire me but it wouldn't be until September. So I said well that's really nice but I need benefits and security since I support myself. AND I told her that the job really wasn't for me anyway. I would be happy to do until I found another job but that I wanted to be truthful to her and let her know that I would not be interested in the job even if it was offered. She said she totally understood, she supported herself and her two kids and knows that having a job with benefits and one that you enjoy is vital to one's happiness.

That was all in January. Oh, and she asked me that if I did find another job could I give her 2 weeks notice? I said sure becuase I'm thinking about using her for a reference.

Also, in the meantime I noticed little cracks in her personality, like constant complaining and then other people told me stories of how she wrote them up for being 5 minutes late back from lunch. Or she (manager) wrote up one girl she because she felt threatened. All the girl did was stand up for herself. This girl still works there by the way. And then 2 other full time employees submitted resignations and they said it was because of her.

So, I stayed out of her way, did my job as best as you can when you hate something, and kept looking for another better job.

Then, one Monday in April (4 months since we had out little talk) I go to work and she tell me in front of everyone, that it was my last day and it was because I had a sour attitude. WHAT?????!!! I never talked bad about her, never tried to bring others down, oh I would listen to their stories because it's useful information but certainly if she didn't want me anymore, TELL THE AGENCY DON'T TELL ME IN FRONT OF A ENTIRE DEPARTMENT. That's the crazy part that I can't understand.

Ok, yes, I should let it go but then again this women behaved very unprofessionally and without regard to my feelings and she doesn't get in trouble??? You can just do that to a person and get away with it?

Hey, I don't think I'm better than anyone or that I deserve favor all the time but I should at least be respected if all I've ever been was nice and honest and trying to do the right thing.

So, please don't comment that it's just a temp job, or that I might not have PSTD, or that I get to close to people because I'm a women who likes to listen.

I'm not upset about any of that. But I am upset about the way she treated me and that I am having a hard time getting over. If it happened once, why can't it happen again? And I had no idea it was coming so the shock made it even worse. She knew I needed a job and didn't have one yet. She knew I took care of myself. She screwed me without an afterthought.

If you can't comment on any of that, then please don't post an answer on my post. Please. Just move on to another post that catches your eye.

Last edited by luckygirl15; 08-24-2014 at 03:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment